• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I move the nest? (1 Viewer)

Shadowbirdie

United States
Update: so my family has agreed to leave the nest alone until the egg hatches
Ok so there is a mourning dove nest right outside my house and my family wants to move it but there is an egg inside and I don’t want the mother to abandon the egg so I don’t want to move it but my family will be very persistent about moving it and won’t care that there’s an egg so what should I do? There’s not any trees around for the nest to be moved to

Last edited:
Hi Shadowbirdie and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Active nests should not be moved or interfered with in any way that might cause the nest to fail. I believe you might be breaking the wildlife laws in your country if you do so.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how it gets on.

Hi Shadowbirdie and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Active nests should not be moved or interfered with in any way that might cause the nest to fail. I believe you might be breaking the wildlife laws in your country if you do so.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how it gets on.
I don’t want to touch I rather leave the bird alone but the nest is right next to our front door on top of a lamp and whenever someone opens the door they get spooked by the mom flying off and she flew in one time scaring my sister so my sister will fight me on leaving it alone

Is it possible to use another door for the time being... just a few weeks?

Please research the laws in your country regarding this subject. A short extract from one I saw says:
The federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 makes it illegal to destroy or disturb nests with birds or eggs in them. This means if you find a nest that is active, unless you get a permit to do so (not so easy), you legally have to wait the four to six weeks in which it usually takes young birds to migrate before you can remove the nest. On top of that, states can have their own regulations, too. (their bold)

It's not so easy for me to research as results are all mixed up with UK law advice.

Welcome to Birdforum.

You ask, Should I move the nest?

The answer is no. You will be breaking the law.

If she's built in a location that's bad enough that it makes the nest non-viable, she should abandon the eggs well before they hatch. It's sad, but they're eggs- they don't suffer.

Moving a bird nest doesn't work. The bird will either rebuild in the same spot, or leave entirely. If there are chicks inside, they might follow the chicks a very small distance, but moving a nest with chicks in it is illegal and unethical. There's a high chance of them abandoning the chicks entirely. Bird nests typically don't move in nature, so they don't have the instincts to deal with a nest moving.

I don’t want to touch I rather leave the bird alone but the nest is right next to our front door on top of a lamp and whenever someone opens the door they get spooked by the mom flying off and she flew in one time scaring my sister so my sister will fight me on leaving it alone
Hang a sign or notice to remind users of the door. The pigeon is hardly a dangerous species, get used to it and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back