• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skeffington, Leicestershire….possible i.d’s please - no photos (1 Viewer)

Derbyfella

Sorry no photos

small mainly brown, robin size bird next to farm land but mainly flying along side the hedge in front of my car.

so mainly brown, pinkish-reddish chest with linear speckles vertically to sides of chest. Was in the top of the hedgerow most of the time and sun sort of behind it.….was given the impression of a stonechat or similar by shape and body, but more flight similar to that of a warbler/fly catcher… I discounted stonechat because no white banding at base of neck/head, it definitely wasn’t an adult as I’ve not long seen them in Devon...but I guess could possibly be a juvenile?

Hello,
not a confident answer, but maybe one to start with:
first, can you give the date, please? And maybe its possible that you add a drawing/sketch?

When I read the description of a chat-like bird, that has a flight of a flycatcher, than I automatically think of a Redstart. They have quite large wings (large area=broad) for birds of their size and shape. Maybe it was 1cy Common Redsart?

Hello,
not a confident answer, but maybe one to start with:
first, can you give the date, please? And maybe its possible that you add a drawing/sketch?

When I read the description of a chat-like bird, that has a flight of a flycatcher, than I automatically think of a Redstart. They have quite large wings (large area=broad) for birds of their size and shape. Maybe it was 1cy Common Redsart?
It was today, thank you Alexander. I’m not going to attempt a sketch….it would look like a brown blob on a big green blob…and probably any drawing now would be tainted by thoughts of did it look like that etc….
I will see if I can escape out there later in the week.

small mainly brown, robin size bird next to farm land but mainly flying along side the hedge in front of my car.

I think a redstart's tail would probably have been evident in this situation and the description could still fit a female or winter male Stonechat. Stonechats will certainly catch flying insects from exposed perches, if that's what the OP is referring to.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back