• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua Cruise 2011, Sunday 4 September (1 Viewer)

Anyone else booked for 10th (tomorrow) and concerned by the strong southerlies and fog forecast?

Haven't seen forecast, best I don't look. Hoping it goes ahead anyway;and southerlies could hold up birds moving down??But I know nothing, seems birds turning up in unusual circumstances;Just hope for the best!

Paul

Excellent, almost continual Skua activity, Arctic's in view fro harbour to return, up to * Bonxie, several Sooty and a confiding Manxie, some got on to an adult Sabs and a Skua at the end of the trip caused great excitement as some thought it a Long-tail - I think that the photos will suggest Arctic but we'll see.

Anyone on the starboard side got soaked from the swell, as did most at some stage, although at the front we managed to stay dap rather than drenched.

Usual supporting cast of Gannets, Terns and Fular, the odd Eider, Scoter & T+R-t Diver too.

No Little Gull was a surprise, given that 3500 later passed Flamboro and a few 1000 off Hornsea.

Thanks to all the RSPB staff and crew.

Excellent, almost continual Skua activity, Arctic's in view fro harbour to return, up to * Bonxie, several Sooty and a confiding Manxie, some got on to an adult Sabs and a Skua at the end of the trip caused great excitement as some thought it a Long-tail - I think that the photos will suggest Arctic but we'll see.

Anyone on the starboard side got soaked from the swell, as did most at some stage, although at the front we managed to stay dap rather than drenched.

Usual supporting cast of Gannets, Terns and Fular, the odd Eider, Scoter & T+R-t Diver too.

No Little Gull was a surprise, given that 3500 later passed Flamboro and a few 1000 off Hornsea.

Thanks to all the RSPB staff and crew.

Nice one! Sounds comparable to the one I went on in terms of birds on show. :t:

Not me - but hoping to have dried out by then!

Have a great trip.

Some photos from the 10th courtesy of Mike Ribbands

Attachments

• Great Skua (IMG_4097)s.jpg
    Great Skua (IMG_4097)s.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Sooty Shearwater (IMG_4020)s.jpg
    Sooty Shearwater (IMG_4020)s.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Sooty Shearwater (IMG_4028)s.jpg
    Sooty Shearwater (IMG_4028)s.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Arctic Skua (IMG_4166)s.jpg
    Arctic Skua (IMG_4166)s.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 76
It looks a classic Sooty to me, not a hint of Balearic which I what I guess you are suggesting - would be interested to hear if anyone else sees anything other than Sooty. Both pics are of same bird btw.

Whos going on Sunday 18th

Incredible adult Sabines Gull put on a superb display today, 15 minutes of either circling the boat, low fly pasts at eye level, sat on the calm waters etc..... just awesome :t:

4 seperate sightings of Dark Arctic Skuas in aerial dogfight action with Common Terns, one very light Arctic skua and one Juvenile close to boat on the sea.

Grey Phalarope very close to boat on return to Harbour, (intresting to see how many picked that one up as only a few of us got onto it as the boat raced past it heading for a distant Skua).

2 sightings of Little Gull pairs

3 sightings of Red Throated Divers

2 Sightings of Manx Shearwater... although distant

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back