• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slik D3 head question (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Hi all,

I have a quick question I hope somebody can assist with please.

I'm a bit crap with tripods, and have been meaning to purchase a proper replacement for a while (3 years!) but in the interim I purchased an old but good condition Slik D3.

I was really surprised by how good this is, but the head has suddenly gotten a bit gritty, particularly when using the tilt action, though also starting on the pan a bit now. As a desperate measure I applied a small amount of virgin olive oil as a lubricant but this doesn't seem to have helped...

Does anybody have any suggestions to resolve the issue, or should I just finally accept I need a new tripod? If so any suggestions for something to support a Nikon ED82 for under £200 please (I don't mind used kit).

Thanks in advance!

Hi Daniel,

If you are satisfied with the tripod, then a new head would be all you need. The Manfrotto MVH500AH is very solid, reasonably priced and has many satified users on the forum.
To remove the Slik head first check that there is not a locking grub screw under the top plate of the centre column (unlikely). Lock the panorama function and unscrew the head. It will probably need an impulse (hit) on the panning lever. Most tripods have a 3/8"x16 top stud. If it's 1/4"x20, a simple adapter would suffice.

John

Hi all,

I have a quick question I hope somebody can assist with please.

I'm a bit crap with tripods, and have been meaning to purchase a proper replacement for a while (3 years!) but in the interim I purchased an old but good condition Slik D3.

I was really surprised by how good this is, but the head has suddenly gotten a bit gritty, particularly when using the tilt action, though also starting on the pan a bit now. As a desperate measure I applied a small amount of virgin olive oil as a lubricant but this doesn't seem to have helped...

Does anybody have any suggestions to resolve the issue, or should I just finally accept I need a new tripod? If so any suggestions for something to support a Nikon ED82 for under £200 please (I don't mind used kit).

Thanks in advance!
A similar thing happened to an old tripod head of mine a few years ago and I seem to recall that I prolonged its life with some WD-40. I wouldn't necessarily want to recommend that course of action (better-qualified people than me will probably say it's the wrong thing to do), but might be worth a try as a last resort!

Hi Daniel,

If you are satisfied with the tripod, then a new head would be all you need. The Manfrotto MVH500AH is very solid, reasonably priced and has many satified users on the forum.
To remove the Slik head first check that there is not a locking grub screw under the top plate of the centre column (unlikely). Lock the panorama function and unscrew the head. It will probably need an impulse (hit) on the panning lever. Most tripods have a 3/8"x16 top stud. If it's 1/4"x20, a simple adapter would suffice.

John
Thanks John, I've an old 501 head which I can use, but when combined with the legs and scope, makes for quite a heavy set up.

A similar thing happened to an old tripod head of mine a few years ago and I seem to recall that I prolonged its life with some WD-40. I wouldn't necessarily want to recommend that course of action (better-qualified people than me will probably say it's the wrong thing to do), but might be worth a try as a last resort!
Thanks again - that would probably have been a better course of action than olive oil... I'll give it a go.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back