• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snipes from Oman, Feb 2024 (1 Viewer)

michael-ibk

Saw several Snipes in Oman but am unable to determine if I photographed Pin-tailed or Common Snipe. Do not have any flight shots. The few times I did see Snipes fly they had white trailing edges (so were Common Snipes). Possible to tell from these photos? The first two individuals from the Muscat area, all the others from the South near Salalah.

Oman_086-Bearbeitet.JPG

Oman_097-Bearbeitet.JPG

Oman_1534-Bearbeitet.JPG

Oman_1649-Bearbeitet.JPG

Oman_1693-Bearbeitet.JPG

Oman_1694-Bearbeitet.JPG

@Prestdj and @bhutjoe , many thanks for the help. That blog especially is really very good. Sorry for the late answer, kinda forgot about my own post! (Old age showing...). So yeah, Common Snipe for all the photos of reasonable quality, at least I think so. Unclear for the the very distant ones for me, maybe the first one is Pin-tail? Pretty thick bill. But probably insufficient quality to know for sure.

Hello Michael and all ! A bit late but still in the topic ... Back from Oman, I saw this "attached" snipe in Khawr Rawri on the 23rd of Feb, with the same question in mind than Michael, common or Pin-tailed ? Fed by the previous comments and pictures (excellent blog, Steve ! thanks !) I am not more sure of anything .. I haven't see the bird flying, I don't see the projection of the tail.. however the structure of the head (steep, crown summit), 'average' length of bill and maybe a more open and whitish face (is it a clue ?) let me a similar question mark

Attachments

• DSCN0081 Pin-tailed Snipe ?.jpg
    DSCN0081 Pin-tailed Snipe ?.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back