• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So much stuff! (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
Had a great spring day at Leighton Moss. Highlights included; first Reed Warbler of the year, great views of multiple Cetti's Warbler, a Bittern flight and a roast dinner in the café. But I was stuck by how much kit some folk carry.

One chap had a huge LowePro rucksack containing unknown delights, on his chest he had a multipocketed military style assault vest. Every pocket was stuffed with goodies. Mounted on the front of the chest-rig on some sort of quick release system were two pairs of Swarovski 42mm NLs, presumably different magnifications. Hung off one side of the rucksack was a 115mm BTX on a gimbal headed tripod, hung off the other side was a LowePro lens pouch. I hate to think how much weight he was carrying or Sterling value of it all, but it didn't seem to slow him down. The woman he was with had a single pair of 32mm NLs hung round her neck!

Maybe he should have gone down the route of the other bloke that caught my eye. Only a pair of binoculars round his neck but pulling a four-wheeled camping/festival trolley along filled to the brim with goodness only knows!

I only hope they had as nice a day as I did.

This made me laugh out loud, as we are a bit like that: G usually has a mid-sized photo-rucksack (they have got smaller with the advent of mirrorless cameras, thank goodness for that), 10x42 binoculars on a harness and another camera with 500mm lens on a sling... I also have 10x42 binoculars on a harness, plus a mid-sized hiking rucksack, stuffed with most of my earthly possessions, plus water and food for a week (almost) and my mirrorless camera with 35-70 zoom mounted on one of the straps with one of those quick-release plates... 🙄
Edit: also one of us usually carries our scope with heavy-duty tripod...

Last edited:
I saw a chap once with a 4 wheeled trolley carrying “the lens” (must have been a 600+mm prime lens)… he’d just given the “old” one to his wife!… I always play a “who’s got the biggest lens” game with myself when at big birding sites.
I have had it noted that a wheeled suitcase helps with the quandary of “scope or camera”, but I much prefer a light bino and a light scope on a folding tripod for instant use. I seem to have been the only one with an umbrella when I was out at the weekend… keeps you much drier than gortex, especially at keeping optics dry!
Never seen a BTX in the flesh, would be fun to see what it can offer.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back