• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Soaring Raptors, Menara Kayangan (Tower of Heaven) - near Lahad Datu, Sabah, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Steve Schoech

Supporter
At the turn-off from the main highway for the road to Danum Valley is the entrance for Menara Kayangan, which is ~1/2 way up Mt. Silam. I highly recommend as the platform in front of the tower is potentially a good site for soaring raptors. The morning I was there conditions weren't great with lots of water in the air (i.e., ~ 90% RH) and clouds/mist coming up the valley.
Photos are of three different individuals and if I'm correct, I'd not seen either species. Fairly certain of the Black Eagle and Changeable Hawk Eagle and suspect the one last two shots of the bird at at eye-level is also a CHE. All have been cropped and lightened in an attempt to ID as that's about all they're good for. Hoping for help confirming or correcting. Mahalo🤙

Attachments

• Black Eagle 01.jpg
    Black Eagle 01.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Changable Hawk Eagle  03.jpg
    Changable Hawk Eagle 03.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 27
  • Changable Hawk Eagle  05.jpg
    Changable Hawk Eagle 05.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Raptor sp. 01.jpg
    Raptor sp. 01.jpg