• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Solo week-long trip to Eaglenest in Arunachal Pradesh (India) (2 Viewers)

Hello everyone!
This is my first post to the forum !

I recently returned from a week-long solo birding trip (23 Jan- 1 Feb 2024) to Eaglenest Sanctuary in Arunachal pradesh (India) and wanted to share a few tidbits. I have a longer blog post about my whole experience here too (it's pretty long and not only focussed on birds)

I’ve been birding since I was in high school and I had a very tiny amount of experience with birds of that region through previous (mostly hiking) trips to Bhutan and Sikkim. So most of the species I saw in Eaglenest were new to me. I had a blast the birding is truly spectacular.

When I began looking at Eaglenest, it looked like most folks go on organized bird tours and the prices seemed exorbitant. Also, I’ve always birded solo (or with family) and personally love the thrill of seeing something new and then leafing through the guidebook to see what it might have been.

I think Eaglenest is easily doable solo, and on public transport/hitching (from Lama to Bompu) if you are a bit flexible about your dates. It was a bit cold given the time of the year, and teh birds a little quiet, but on the plus side there were no leeches, ticks, or rain. I was the only birder at Lama for five days and got all the attention.

Practicalities
I spent 5 night at Lama camp and 2 at Bompu. The folks who run the camp (Tenzu at Lama, Angu at Bompu) can easily arrange permits (ILP or RAP). I spent about 3200 INR per day while at the camps. I can share phone numbers of folks who run the camp is needed.

The route I took is
Guwahati-Tezpur-Tenga (public transport)
Tenga-Lama (private taxi)
Lama-Bompu (hitch a pre-arranged ride with the folks who run Bompu)
Bompu-Tenga (again hitch a ride back with the folks who run Bompu)

If you are coming from Guwahati (in Assam), there are frequent public buses/minivans that run from Paltan Bazaar to Tezpur (~ 4 hours). I had to overnight in Tezpur near the STC bus stand.
From Tezpur, there is a shared jeep that departs to Tenga at 6 am and I think another one around noon.

Lama camp
Accommodation: I stayed in a permanent structure with an attached bathroom and plenty of blankets. The days of staying in a tent are gone. You get hot water bags to keep warm at night and there is easy access to hot water from the kitchen below. The food was amazing! You are pampered with great vegetarian fare and eggs for dinner. I skipped breakfasts on all days, but the cook would fry an egg for me for lunch too.

My daily routine was to head out in the morning for a 5-8 km (round trip) easy walk either down from Lama (towards Glowbari) or above. The weather was cold, but most days were bright. The birding was excellent. I would do another short walk (3kms) after lunch. It would get misty/gloomy by around 3 pm.

Bompu camp
Accommodation: tents with shared bathrooms. The food was okayish-good (IMO after comparison with Lama). At Bompu, there was a large group of birders, so I was not the only one.

I again did walks above Bompu or below. It was generally more misty and wet in Bompu compared to Lama. The birding was great (some of the excitement was dimmed, as I had seen many of the species at Lama already).

A lucky break for me was to get to spend time with Umesh Srinivasan, a researcher who has been studying birds here for a decade.

Getting from Lama to Bompu and back
I think this is the part that I was the most apprehensive about. Its ~ 35kms and my initial though was to walk this stretch in one day, which is possible (locals have done it), but probably out of my reach. With frequent stops for birding this trek cannot be completed in a day IMO. There is a defunct concrete shelter at Sunderview and if one has a tent/sleeping bag/food this is an option.

I had spoken to Angu (who runs Bompu) and he told me that at least once a week his pick up truck makes a ride to Tenga with supplies. So my plan was to hitch a ride on this. The dates are obviously not fixed. In any case, birding at Lama was great and I was happy to spend time waiting for my ride.

Cheers, and happy birding!

This is my bird list (apologies for not sorting this by family)
The columns are Lama-A (above Lama), Lama-B (below Lama) and so on.
C indicates commonly seen.

Notable mammals encounters were: a tree shrew, barking deer calls, scat of asiatic golden cat (probable) and plenty of elephant dung !

Lama-ALama-BBompu-ABompu-B
Whiskred YuhinaCCC
Stripe-throated yuhinaCC
White-naped YuhinaCC
Brown parrorbill2 flocks
Yellow-cheeked TitCCC
Yellow-browed TitCCC
Rufous-capped babblerCCC
Bar-throated SivaCCC
Green shrike-babbler2
Golden-breasted fulvettaCCC
Beautiful SibiaCCCC
Rusty-flanked Treecreeper1
Green-tailed sunbirdCCCC
Black-faced warblerCCCC
Rufous-breasted accentorCC
Scaly laughingthrushflocks
Dark-breasted rosefinchCC
Speckeld wood Pigeon2 flocks
White-tailed nuthatch1C
Crimson-breasted Woodpecker12
Streak-throated BarwingCCCC
Blue-fronted redstartC
Black-chinned Yuhina3
Mountain bulbul1 flock
Bhutan Lauging thrushCC
Himalayan bluetail2
Chestnut-crowned LaughingthrushCCC
Straited BulbulCCC
Fire-breasted flowerpecker2
Yellow-bellied fairy fantail1
Gold-naped Finch3
Greater-rufous headed Parrotbill1
Slender-billed scimitar babbler1
Ashy throated WarblerCCCC
Rufous-breasted bushrobin1
Pygmy blue flycatcher1
Red Tailed minlaflocks
Black-eared shrikebabblerflocks
Orange-bellied leafbirdCCC
Yelow-rumped honeyguide1
Streak-breasted scimitar-babblerCCC
Blyth's tragopan1
Grey-cheeked warblerC2
Aberrant bush warbler1
Kalij pheasant32
Grey-chinned minivetflocks
Golden babbler4
Yellow-throated fullvettaC
Brown-throated treecreeper1
White-throated fantail1
Golden bushrobin1
Rusty-fronted barwingC
Great barbetCCC
Collared Owletheard
Hill Partridgeheardheardheard
Chestnut-breasted partridgeheard
Green-backed titCCC
Straited laugingthrushCCCC
Spotted nutcraker1
Large hawkcuckoo1
Black-throated titCCC
Plumbeous water redtstart1
White-capped redstart
Olive-backed pipitC
Black-bulbulflocks

Last edited:
Dear Satyajit, Really interesting account and blog. I am travelling alone next month from UK. I have a few questions for the two people who run the camps so I would be grateful if you could forward these to me. Had I read your account I may have been persuaded also to use public transport but opted for a car instead. I will aim to share my experiences and costs on return just to build on your excellent descriptions.

Good to see there is now permanent accommodation at Lama Camp. It was just a row of tents when I visited way back when.

Dear Satyajit, Really interesting account and blog. I am travelling alone next month from UK. I have a few questions for the two people who run the camps so I would be grateful if you could forward these to me. Had I read your account I may have been persuaded also to use public transport but opted for a car instead. I will aim to share my experiences and costs on return just to build on your excellent descriptions.
Thank you for reading ! I checked with Tenzu and Angu and they are fine with their number being shared . Tenzu Glow who runs lama camp can be reached on +91 8974139955 . Angu's (Bompu's manager) number +91 8729903110. Angu's phone is sometimes out of range (Bompu has poor cellular service), but messages on watsapp get through pretty fast.
I'm sure you are going to have an excellent time birding eaglenest. In march , I think a few of the summer migrants (cuckoos) might show up and all the birds would be very vocal. I do hear that the camps get very busy during that time. Please do post about your experience after your trip ! I would love to compare notes :)
Cheers

I'm not sure how practical it would be birding Eagle Nest without a car. You would be limited to birding within a few kms of the two camps, but more significantly you would face the risk of encountering elephants along the road with potentially no means of escape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back