• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Texas: Mexican Specialties in the US (3 Viewers)

Jealous of the Cotinga experience, since they are my favorite bird family, adding salt to the fact that except for the Screaming Piha, Capuchinbird and Guianan Cock-of-the-Rock, every single Cotinga I saw while I was in Guyana was either female or just didn't show up! Imagine seeing a fruiting tree with one Spangled and three Pompadour Continga, but all are females...

I’ve spent most of my birding life in S America - about 1500 days birded I guess so far? - and I have only ever had one sh*tty look at Purple-throated. In the past few days I’ve gone from my lifer Purple-breasted to 7 total! It’s a bit of luck you could say, but realistically it’s more a question of just putting in time as a large number of the Amazonian and Choco birds are some mixture of hard to find / hard to see. The only people who have seen everything well are people who guide for decades or who live there and bird every day.

I’ve spent most of my birding life in S America - about 1500 days birded I guess so far? - and I have only ever had one sh*tty look at Purple-throated. In the past few days I’ve gone from my lifer Purple-breasted to 7 total! It’s a bit of luck you could say, but realistically it’s more a question of just putting in time as a large number of the Amazonian and Choco birds are some mixture of hard to find / hard to see. The only people who have seen everything well are people who guide for decades or who live there and bird every day.
And even those birders still have their own nemesis/mythical species, talking about certain species of Tinamou or some of the Ground-Cuckoos in the Amazon basin.

Still, amazing you got to see that bird, I couldn't even get a whisk of that one or Crimson Fruitcrow while in Guyana.

And even those birders still have their own nemesis/mythical species, talking about certain species of Tinamou or some of the Ground-Cuckoos in the Amazon basin.

Still, amazing you got to see that bird, I couldn't even get a whisk of that one or Crimson Fruitcrow while in Guyana.

I’ve spent about 15 days birding in the theoretical range of Crimson Fruitcrow and have had a sh*tty glimpse and have heard two that I couldn’t find. shrug at some point I’ll see it well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back