• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spain Trip Febuary (1 Viewer)

ScottishBirder

THE HUNGRY BIRDER
Spain Trip FEBUARY 2013

I arrived at Alicante airport after a very bumpy flight due to strong winds and met up with the car rental guy who was waiting for me with a name board. Took some searching but found a car rental company who take cash (no credit card required). I got into my small car and headed on the A7 toward Torrieveja . Exiting at junction 751 and heading to Los Montesinos I quickly got sight of a large raptor but stopping was impossible, I did see Southern Grey Shrike on a fence post and a Common Kestrel mobbing the big raptor. Spotless Starling and Red-legged Partridge were also spotted on route. Arriving at my accommodation I quickly acquired keys from key holders and put my bags in apartment and straight out on foot.

First up Black Redstart, a common bird here at this time off year but for me a real treat to watch so close. In a small waste ground good numbers of Greenfinch and Goldfinch. I could hear in trees nearby Monk parakeet but in waste ground opposite Blackbird, Collard Dove, House Sparrow and lots and lots of Chiffchaff. There were so many Chiffs it was hard to keep up with them.

Another waste ground behind supermarket had Hoopoe, Stonechat, White Wagtail, Sardinian Warbler and around 25 Crested Lark. I returned to supermarket for supplies and then headed back to apartment to plan my first full day. John Edwards from CBBC had contacted me and offered to show me around his local area. I met the couple downstairs who were in the CBBC (Derek &Cynthia) and had a chat with them. Also met Barry who is chairman off Costa Blanca Bird Club who gave me some info.

13th Febuary 2013
Arrived at John's house 7.45am.

First up we headed for a scrubby area near John's house. First up was a Stone Curlew which was heard then located. Also seen were Hoopoe, Crested Lark, Robin, Sardinian Warbler, Linnet, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Common Sandpiper, Serin, Red-legged Partridge, Stonechat and Black Redstart. Calling Red-legged Partridge were all over the hill. A small man made pool had four Little Grebes on it with a Greenshank flying off and a sadly dead Little Grebe in the corner of pool.

Bit further on and a few little man made water scrapes produced Greenshank ( injured ) Shellduck, Little Grebe, Crag Martin, Chiffchaff, House Martin (one), Chaffinch ( one male flew by ). Dartford Warbler was found with patience and the Iberian Green Woodpecker (male) was a delight. Mallard, Cormorant, Coot, White Wagtail, Grey Wagtail (one) were all on small water pools. A poor Rabbit trapped in a illegal trap was in serious pain and so I sadly had to put the poor thing out of its misery, this had me a little upset for a time as I hate cruelty to anything. Anyway.

We then moved on to large lake which was a lovely blue colour. Easily found with little cover was Great White Egret. A good treat for me as i have not seen lots of these. Also there Great crested Grebe, Yellow-legged Gull, Black headed Gull, Black necked Grebe, Southern Grey Shrike, Lapwing (one), Sand Martin (one), a small group of four Ducks were hiding in far corner but after a walk down to get a closer view they were soon identified as Teal (2 pair). Amoungst the masses of Yellow-legged Gulls was a very dark bird and after a closer look it was identified as a Lesser Black backed Gull. There was at least three Adult birds. Not sure of status of this gull here in Costa Blanca but very sure of my ID. I would not expect a Larus fuscus here but it was a very dark bird indeed as dark as a Great-black Backed Gull.

Moved again and Little Owl seen feeding on dead rabbit on road was great to see and then a Sparrowhawk ( female ) came shooting through bushes chasing Greenfinch at very close range. A single Barn Swallow was seen flying around near Crag Martins, also three House Martins picked out of the crowd. Further up a small group of Spotless Starlings had two Eurasian Starling amongst them. Single Cattle Egret seen on bank of canal.

Into a wooded area produced Long-tailed Tit, Goldcrest and a Song Thrush flew through. Blackbird and a hard to see unidentified warbler was all to be seen at this site and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. We met up with the chairman and a few members of the Sierra Bird Club who stopped to chat. It was strange to hear him tell me about his visit to Scotland to birdwatch and how excited he was about sites I visit all the time.

We finished the day searching for Eagle Owl at a nest site John knew about. We waited for around thirty minutes until i finally found the female on a post. How could i tell it was the female bird ? well a few minutes later the male appeared and they mated. Great end to a great day.

14th Febuary

Headed to John Edwards home but picked up a few on the way to San Miguel. Stone Curlew, Monk Parakeet (8), Blackbird, Hoopoe, Sardinian Warbler, Chiffchaff, Collard Dove.

Arrived at Johns and was welcomed with a coffee before we headed to Salinas San Pedro. With the weather nice and warm it was going to be good. First up Moorhen crossing the road, then five Black-tailed Godwits feeding right at road edge, one in breeding plumage. Next up Kentish Plover (3), Ringed Plover (1), Greater Flamingo, Shellduck, Yellow-legged Gull, Slender-billed Gull, Stonechat, Barn Swallow ( 1 ), Avocet, Cormorant, Sanderling (18), Spotless Starling, Black Redstart, Crested Lark, Linnet, Turnstone (3 on beach), White Wagtail, Common Kestrel, Gannet ( 1 offshore ), Dartford Warbler, Black-headed Gull, Little Egret, Black-winged Stilt, Black-necked Grebe, Spotted Redshank (8 in total), Spoonbill (4), Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail and a Serin. Whilst standing at the notice board at start of road I heard a familiar call , a Reed Warbler now I know this is very early for here but I went over to where it was calling and got a great close up view. On the way back we saw Buzzard (4 all together) , Common Redshank, and Green Woodpecker.

Dropped John off and headed to Santa Pola.
Driving along I heard the call of Terns and quickly but illegally did a U turn and parked. In a line was a group of Gulls and Terns. Scope out and immediately spotted a Caspian Tern which stood out like a sore thumb. Further along the line was Audouin's Gulls ( 4 ), Mediterranean Gulls ( 8 )and a few Black headed Gulls. Hiding at the back were four Sandwich Terns. After a few minutes they were spooked and flew over the road to roost. I scoped around and found a small group of very small waders. After waiting for better views they flew and came even closer, twelve Little Stints and one Kentish Plover were seen. Another search from the legal car stopping area produced a Marsh Harrier , Grey Heron hundreds of Greater Flamingo and three Great White Egrets. This spot is quite good and well worth a few hours as anything can appear.

FRIDAY 15th

Got up early and headed to Santa Pola to see if I could catch up with the Caspian Tern. On the way in a Marsh Harrier flew over the car and a minute later a Buzzard with a road kill. On the fence at a nearby roundabout a Serin and a Kestrel perched on a wire along with a Southern Grey Shrike.

Arrived at Santa Pola Salinas and no sign of Caspian but the Sandwich Terns were still there and busy fishing. I headed along as far as you can till water pools run out and there is a turn in area with a barrier where you can park. there are two pools to the left and they are perfect for waders. 30 Little Stints all in one group is a very uncommon sight for me and in amongst them were 4 Dunlin, 4 Ringed Plover, and three Kentish Plovers. Around 12 Moorhen were also on the pools.

In the reeds beside me Reed Bunting and a Zitting Cisticola which gave great views.

Back to the car parking area on right heading to Torriejva

I quickly got Little Egret a single Eurasian Curlew, 12 Spoonbill, usual Greater Flamingoes, Slender-billed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Black-headed Gull, Cormorant, Great-crested Grebe, Avocet, Black-winged Stilt, Grey Heron and 3 Great White Egret.
Headed home for lunch:Barry arriving at noon.

Headed out with Barry from CBBC toward El Hondo area. Not going into reserve just around it.

First field produced 4 Common Crane and further down the track a small area which was full of Blackcap, Chaffinch and Song Thrush. There was allot of these three species and at one time I had eight Song Thrushes in my scope at once. Blackcaps were un countable. On a pylon a Magpie and on the wall 2 Tree Sparrows a species that is always good to see.

We went a bit further and then parked and walked. On this walk we saw Osprey, Booted Eagle, lots of Buzzards, Marsh Harrier, and I got my Moustached Warbler which is a lifer for me. Got amazing views of this great little bird.

Bit further and we got Shoveler, Bluethroat (female), and from a hide we saw Tufted Duck, Red crested Pochard, Common Pochard, Black-necked Grebe, Little Grebe, Great-crested Grebe, Little Egret, Coot and a single Cattle Egret. Another great bird White-headed Duck and then a Snipe to finish. Great day and allot hotter.

Arrived home to find Black Wheatear on fence . Been searching for these and finally caught up with it.

SATURDAY 16th

Well meeting Barry at car park in Benijofar at 8:15. So left early in case I got lost but arrived thirty minutes early so quick walk around Orange grove produced Zitting Cisitcola, Robin, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Serin, Blackbird, Chiffchaff, House Sparrow and two farm geese. A nice mixture of Greylag and Farm geese. Lol
Barry arrived and we headed off to North Gate. Had a quick look at the dump and met up with Graham Critchell. This is a amazing site with hundreds of Gulls and large numbers of Cattle Egret. A White Stork flew over as I was watching all the Grey Herons on the wall. Also seen lots of Jackdaws and several Crag Martins flying over.

Into the reserve we headed and immediately a Marsh Harrier flew over. On a small dead tree in amongst the reeds a raptor took off but we could not get a good look at it, my instincts said Booted Eagle. At the viewing platform I immediately got the Greater spotted Eagle on a bush with a Marsh Harrier. The Harrier looked like a Kestrel beside this bird. We checked but it was not the radio tagged TONN. Also easily seen Pintail, Teal, Shoveler and two drake Gadwall. The numbers of Shoveler were amazing.

Also out in front of us Mallard, Glossy Ibis, Black tailed Godwit and a Cetti's Warbler. Also around Cormorant, Great White Egret and a Booted Eagle. lots of Marsh Harriers and several Buzzards.

We moved up to the hide at the top and hooked up with Graham. Sparrowhawk flying by and a Kingfisher started well then a MERLIN perched quite far out in fact there was two to start with. Moustached Warbler and Little Bittern were heard calling and Graham found a Purple Gallinule which I needed for my list count. The ponds in front held Little Grebe, Great crested Grebe and lots of Coot. here I also found another Gadwall amongst the Teal nod Shoveler. I looked from the hide over toward the water over the road and found over 150 White-headed Duck. Cetti's Warbler and Chiffchaff were around as was a Booted Eagle who sat in the tree opposite for ages.

Barry and I headed to the marsh hide. Soon as we started to walk a Penduline Tit showed itself followed by six others. At the hide there was huge raft of Gulls so I scoped them and amongst the locals I found a nice Med Gull and then a familiar bird to me a first winter Little Gull. I showed Barry it and he was happy as it is only his second in Spain.

Headed down the road we got onto a Yellow Wagtail at the side of the road and then three more. Headed to visitor centre to try and get the Wryneck that Graham told us about but no luck.

Took Barry to his car as he had things to do but I headed straight back. On the road a magnificent male Hen Harrier in a field. Never get tired of watching this bird. I drove to visitor centre and headed to the hide. Five Purple Gallinule and a single Water Pipit were easy. A single Barn Swallow flew through but pond was deserted of anything else. No sign of the Wryneck. Popped in to see Red- knobbed Coot ( wish I could count this ).Part of a re introduction scheme.

In some field Barry showed me the day before 50 Lapwing with Cattle Egret. A flushed Green Sandpiper then a small puddle had three Snipe and another Green Sandpiper. On the Bellavilla Road back I stopped at a field and watched a Merlin chase a Crested Lark and a Grey Shrike chase a Chiffchaff. In the white area next to the field ( locals will know where I am talking about ) 115 Golden Plover were roosting. Headed home very tired but happy with 113 species for my trip.

SUNDAY 17th
The early bird catches the worm they say, so 6:30 headed to San Pedro Salines. The lagoons looked very empty so headed to bottom card park. Got out at the info board and not a bird on the lagoon. Headed to beach and it was very quiet, nothing calling or flying around. On the beach I got Turnstone 18 and a few Sanderling. A call flying over got me a Grey Plover and then another three on the beach.

It was very quiet but I had met someone who had photographed a Little Bittern at the reeds at the entrance to the lagoons. I headed there and was to be rewarded with great views of Kingfisher and Black-winged Stilt. The view down the canal had eight Spotted Redshank and quite a few Barn Swallows on the wires. After three hours searching for Little Bittern I scoped for the last time a concentrated my eyes on several little birds in the reeds. I could see them but as they were in the reeds I could not identify them at first, my patience paid of with at least two Bearded Tit or Reedling as they are now called. Crag Martins and Chiffchaff made up the guest list but the quietness made me move on. ( Still no Little Bittern )

SANTA POLA SALINES
Very quiet here as we'll. The murky weather may have pushed them way back in the lagoons. Spent half hour studying the Crested Lark when a large flock of waders rose into the air. I quickly got my binoculars on them and could see why they were spooked, a Peregrine hot on there heels.

THE CLOT
Arrived at The Clot and it was busy with families everywhere. Found my way to the hide at the pond but nothing out of the ordinary. All the usual Black Redstart, Chiffchaff, Wood Pigeon, Robin, Grey Wagtail, White Wagtail, Sardinian Warbler, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Little Grebe, Greenfinch and Goldfinch. Some nice butterflies though. Went to second hide at scrape and only one Hoopoe and two Song Thrush on it. To quiet so headed back along the 332.

SANTA POLA SALINES
Nothing to report except 246 Black-tailed Godwits. I took time to count them in case something else in amongst them.

MONDAY 18th

Well finally the day I have been waiting for, a trip to Bonete Area to search for Bustards. Went to pick up John Edwards at his home at 6am, then headed out. After driving for about hour and a half we get to the plains and what a start. We pulled of the road and I heard a unfamiliar call, I located it and identified it as a Rock Sparrow ( lifer ). A quick check around and I got onto a Calandra Lark (lifer).I have never looked for this bird before so was glad to see it.

Spent some time checking all over the fields and plenty of Magpies and Carrion Crow around. I could hear in the distance a sound I know we'll, Black-bellied Sandgrouse. We searched but nothing seen. A Common Buzzard caught and flew off with a rabbit and then in the distance I see something in a field , a group of seven Great Bustards (lifer). What a great bird I was so excited at finally catching up with this beautiful bird.

Further on and we were studying larks, a different lark appeared and started calling, it was identified as a Thekla Lark. Then I heard that call again and there they were, Black-bellied Sandgrouse. We relocated the Bustards and this time found six. Three were not from earlier so this is ten in total. Up to a raised area looking down and Lesser Short-toed Lark was found, easy identified as I have seen lots.

A large flooded field had lots of ducks on it so we scoped every inch. Teal, Shoveler, Mallard and Gadwall were all on it with Lapwing on the edges. Even further on over a bridge another flooded field had good numbers of Greater Flamingo, Teal, Shoveler, Mallard and amongst them a small grey duck stood out. As we were very close a very clear view showed it to be a Marbled Teal which unfortunately got me so excited I jumped out the car with my camera and scared them all up. We scoped again but could not relocate it but did find six Eurasian Wigeon.

Next stop Petrola Lagoon.

All the usual ducks and coots and Grebes were present and then a Water Pipit showed itself and on the far bank I saw another familiar bird to me, a Ruff. Great views and a few shots of it on camera and we headed of again toward Hellin.

John and I checked the rocks opposite and got Blue Rock Thrush and a surprising Mistle Thrush then another. Linnets and a few Meadow Pipit made it worth while. In the next small village we checked the outskirts and we were rewarded, this time I jumped out of the car as a Magpie chased a Great Spotted Cuckoo and then another one, great views, all around the town were huge flocks of Starlings swirling around low in the sky.
We had a great day and I was dead on my feet but very happy indeed.

TUESDAY 19th
Picking up the wife at airport at 10:40 so got out and about before day light. Along the dirt track that Barry showed me toward El Hondo. Booted Eagle in the tree had me out of the car and then I heard Common Crane. Four adult birds came in and landed in field on the left. Very quiet up at the canal with all the Song Thrushes and Blackcaps that were there a few days ago gone. Then I heard Common Crane again and over to the right heading towards me more Common Cranes. This time there was allot. I quickly got the scope out in case something different and counted 53. I quickly got the camera out and took a few shots of the flock. They headed of flying higher and higher till out of view.

Over the road and in the puddles on the right a Common Sandpiper at the front three Snipe in the middle and a Green Sandpiper at the bottom. A lone Kingfisher flew through and then I parked the car at the gate and walked down path. Two Cetti's Warbler were chasing each other around and then displaying by dropping one wing and shaking it like some bird do to distract predators from their nests. I watched for some time before a Moustached Warbler came out singing away. Great view again. Two Marsh Harriers and then I had to set off to get the wife.

WEDNESDAY 20th

Well I was suppose to go on the CBBC field trip today but I had met a Spanish Birder who was going to show me close up views of Griffon Vultures and Bonelli's Eagle. I only have a week left so as I am coming back regularly I opted for the Griffons.

Headed to Alcoy early morning and arrived at Font Roja Parc for day light. My Spanish Birder did not show (karma) so my wife and I walked the track to the top. Robin was first to be seen followed by Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit and then Crested Tit in that order. Great start and then Short-toed Treecreeper and then Chaffinch and then a close up Firecrest. Other birds seen were Blackbird and Great spotted Woodpecker. We spent allot of time watching the rock face from viewpoint in search of the Bonelli's Eagle that nests there but no luck. Over on the hills towards Alcoy we counted 40 Griffon Vultures. We drove down to sign for Parc and took the low road towards the restaurant here we got Crossbill, Jay, Green Woodpecker, Serin and Rock Bunting. Further round a pair of Booted Eagles displaying and a pair of Buzzards displaying. All the usual Black Redstart and Chiffchaffs were there.

We thought we had Golden Eagle but it was way off and could not get a clear view. We were in search of Bonellis so we headed for Bonelli's Finca to get it.

We arrived and met the owners Jane and Colin who had a few friends there also. As soon as I got out the car I saw a large raptor in the sky and got straight on it. A Bonelli's Eagle and what a bird. We stayed and watched it for over a hour. We met another birder Eddie and his funny friend whom we enjoyed talking to allot. As I searched around the rock face I saw lots of Crag Martins and amongst them Alpine Swift. Great place , good day and we will be back to this place, you can book a stay here with views of the nest. On the way down to main road a Little Owl on the wire and that made our day complete.

THURSDAY 21st

SIERRA ESCALONA
Spent the day driving around discovering this beautiful area. Found a great parking spot looking onto a steep cliff face. First bird up was Red-billed Chough which were flying around the rock face. Then a large raptor??? A Golden Eagle, wow and then another. Stayed and watched for over three hours. Seen few Booted Eagles and all the usual commoner birds but not much else. On the way back down managed to get on a Raven. All the usual common species.

FRIDAY 22nd
DAY OFF FROM BIRDING (Forced)

SATURDAY 23rd
EL HONDO ( NORTH GATE )

Straight in and up the viewing platform. All the expected ducks and a few Great White Egrets, Booted Eagle and Marsh Harrier easily found. Then a Water Rail below me. Peregrine hunting near the Teal and twenty Black-tailed Godwit and thirteen Little Stint in pool behind me.

Seems quiet compared to last week so headed for top hide. Kingfisher and two pair of Great-crested Grebes displaying. Single White-headed Duck on pool and at least three Moustached Warblers calling. The Little Bittern that had been calling came out briefly. Purple Gallinule and a few Gadwall made it up to quite a quiet day.

Decided to leave and head to Marsh hide which was closed at opening with red tape. Back towards the platform view point when I spotted a very small bird on the opposite side of small crossing bridge. I jumped out and got on it immediately. A Crake, either Little or Baillion's. I stayed on it but could not get great face views. The Red eye and slaty grey neck stood out. I watched for ten minutes when another birder and then Graham Critchell drove by. I flagged him down and said I was on a Crake. He got out and I walked around back of reeds to try and coax it out. It worked and both birders got on it. Graham got good views and said it was a Baillion's Crake. I was very excited finding this beautiful bird.

This is such a special reserve but it is a pity it is not managed for the protection off wild birds. In the right hands this could be without a doubt the best reserve in Europe.

Headed to the visitor centre for another search of Wryneck. After ten minutes the heavens opened up and it poured down so off I went. This is going to be my bogey bird for this trip.

Near apartment the usual Monk Parakket and a Ring-necked in with them.

SUNDAY 24th

A trip to Guadalentin Valley in search off the Little Bustard was a trip I was looking forward to. Although this bird is very hard to see as it likes to stay in cover I was excited at the prospect of finding it. I followed the directions towards Murcia and then on towards Mazarron. Down to Los Munoces and onto the farm tracks that lead towards the ruined building . Lots of Larks around and Short-toed Lark was picked up quite easy amounts the other larks. Serin were everywhere and soon I was on to Corn Bunting as well, great views of this plain but exciting little bird. My wife shouted to me that there was a raptor coming closer and so I checked it out and could see that it was no Booted. I stayed with it and my thoughts were with a Short-toed Eagle. I have seen countless numbers of this species and was sure I was on one. It changed direction and soon was out of view.

The fields were full of Crested Lark and Serin. I headed down towards the river and as I was looking at the sand bank which was full of holes ( Bee-eaters I think ) when I saw a flash of colour . A European Bee-eater appeared and then flew over the car. I walked out over a small field to see if I could get on it again and managed to flush a Quail. With no sign of the Bee-eater I headed back to the fields with my scope. Up towards a raised reservoir I found a Ciril Bunting briefly and then a Harrier flew over. Got it in the scope the black wing tips and the two black wing bars and darker grey plumage showed it to be a Montagu's Harrier. Stayed on it for nearly ten minutes.

A small bird with white rump shot past and was identified as a Northern Wheatear, a good bird for here. Back to my search and still no luck on the Bustard front. Managed to relocate the Eagle seen earlier and with good close views of this large white looking raptor it was easily identified as a Short-toed Eagle.

With still no luck I phoned Graham and asked if I was in the right place, as fate would have it whilst on the phone two Little Bustards flew over us. Managed to relocate them and this was a relief as the day was felling like it was never going to end.

MONDAY 25th
Heading of to Pego Marsh today and hoping for a good day. Long drive but got there and drove through the middle of the marsh. The fields which I assume is for the rice are all stone dry with no water at all on them. Seen several Marsh Harriers and plenty of Moorhen and Grey Herons. CattleEgret and Little Egret were everywhere, a few Great White Egrets are always worth watching. A Kingfisher and a few Penduline Tits but this place is really quiet as well. I could imagine with some watering the fields that this place would be full of waders but not today. A immature Peregrine was great to watch and then a female Hen Harrier. Two Booted Eagles and a Green Sandpiper then a huge flock of Crag Martins low flying. I sat on carbon net and went through them all. A few Barn Swallows and a lone House Martin was good, and then a Swift appeared, this pale bird looked to be like the Swifts back home but as it turned and turned I got a look at the white throat patch which identifies this bird as a Pallid Swift. This was a great addition to my list.

Further searches of every field produced a lone Little Ringed Plover but not a lot else.
This will be the last bird on my two week vacation. With a total count of 168 I have enjoyed myself allot. I missed out on the Wryneck but found a Baillion's Crake which was awesome. Have met some good people and made some new friends. Can't wait to return in May.

Great trip and managed 168 Species

SPECIES SEEN

MONK PARAKEET

RING NECKED PARAKEET

YELLOW LEGGED GULL

SLENDER BILLED GULL

BLACK HEADED GULL

AUDOUIN'S GULL

MEDITERRANEAN GULL

LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL

LITTLE GULL

COMMON GULL.

CASPIAN TERN

SANDWICH TERN

GREATER FLAMINGO

WHITE STORK

SPOONBILL

COMMON CRANE

GREY HERON

GREAT WHITE EGRET

LITTLE EGRET

CATTLE EGRET

LITTLE BITTERN

GLOSSY IBIS

GRIFFON VULTURE

COMMON BUZZARD

COMMON KESTREL

SPARROWHAWK

MERLIN

BONELLI'S EAGLE

BOOTED EAGLE

GREATER SPOTTED EAGLE

GOLDEN EAGLE

SHORT TOED EAGLE

OSPREY

MARSH HARRIER

MONTAGU'S HARRIER

HEN HARRIER

PEREGRINE

LITTLE OWL

EAGLE OWL

HOOPOE

KINGFISHER

IBERIAN GREEN WOODPECKER

GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER

SOUTHERN GREY SHRIKE

RED LEGGED PARTRIDGE

QUAIL

SPOTLESS STARLING

EURASIAN STARLING

BLACK REDSTART

CROSSBILL

SERIN

GREENFINCH

GOLDFINCH

CHAFFINCH

LINNET

ROBIN

BLUETHROAT

STONECHAT

BLACKBIRD

SONG THRUSH

MISTLE THRUSH

BLUE ROCK THRUSH

COLLARED DOVE

WOOD PIGEON

FERAL PIGEON

STOCK DOVE

HOUSE SPARROW

TREE SPARROW

ROCK SPARROW

CHIFFCHAFF

SARDINIAN WARBLER

REED WARBLER

CETTI'S WARBLER

MOUSTACHED WARBLER

DARTFORD WARBLER

ZITTING CISTICOLA

BLACKCAP

STONECHAT

WHITE WAGTAIL

GREY WAGTAIL

YELLOW WAGTAIL

COMMON SANDPIPER

GREEN SANDPIPER

WOOD SANDPIPER

EURASIAN CURLEW

STONE CURLEW

GREENSHANK

REDSHANK

SPOTTED REDSHANK

LAPWING

RINGED PLOVER

LITTLE RINGED PLOVER

KENTISH PLOVER

GOLDEN PLOVER

GREY PLOVER

RED BILLED CHOUGH

BLACK TAILED GODWIT

LITTLE STINT

DUNLIN

AVOCET

TURNSTONE

BLACK WINGED STILT

RUFF

SANDERLING

SNIPE

SISKIN

GREAT TIT

LONG TAILED TIT

PENDULINE TIT

BLUE TIT

BEARDED TIT

COAL TIT

CRESTED TIT

SHORT TOED TREECREEPER

LITTLE GREBE

BLACK NECKED GREBE

GREAT CRESTED GREBE

EUROPEAN BEE EATER

CRAG MARTIN

HOUSE MARTIN

SAND MARTIN

RED RUMPED SWALLOW

BARN SWALLOW

ALPINE SWIFT

PALLID SWIFT

CORMORANT

GOLDCREST

FIRECREST

MOORHEN

COOT

PURPLE GALLINULE

BAILLION'S CRAKE

WATER RAIL

CRESTED LARK

THEKLA LARK

SKYLARK

SHORT TOED LARK

CALANDRA LARK

GANNET

REED BUNTING

ROCK BUNTING

CORN BUNTING

CIRIL BUNTING

SHOVELER

SHELLDUCK

MALLARD

COMMON TEAL

TUFTED DUCK

RED CRESTED POCHARD

COMMON POCHARD

GADWALL

PINTAIL

EURASIAN WIGEON

MARBLED DUCK

WHITE HEADED DUCK

BLACK WHEATEAR

NORTHERN WHEATEAR

JACKDAW

CARRION CROW

MAGPIE

RAVEN

JAY

WATER PIPIT

MEADOW PIPIT

ROCK PIPIT

GREAT BUSTARD

LITTLE BUSTARD

BLACK BELLIED SANDGROUSE

GREAT SPOTTED CUCKOO

SPECIES COUNT. 168

Last edited:
Great report :)

I visit this area 2-3 times a year with my family for our holidays, as my in-laws live in La Marina. With a young family, it's a bit difficult to fit in any serious birding (no all day trips!) but I still manage to get to a few decent places for a look around.

Like you, I was amazed by El Hondo. It's hard to believe it exists, as there is very little in terms of protection and although the visitor centre is nice and shiny, it's not really geared up to attract people to visit if you ask me. And in all my visits to El Hondo, I have probably seen a total of 15 people on the reserve (although I have yet to make it to the North gate on a Wednesday or Saturday!)

Not yet made it to El Clot or up into the mountains, but both are on my list for this year's trips.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back