• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spinus notatus forreri (Salvin & Godman, 1886), Vireo flavoviridis forreri Madarász, 1885 & Amazilia forreri, Boucard, 1893 (1 Viewer)

Oh!! Divorce was so unusual in those days (at least in the UK, regardless of religion) I wonder on what grounds?

In the script it was written as 'seperated'. Maybe no formal act of divorce have been proceeded. It might be to much interpretation from my side. I doubt that the reason is documented. But there are other examples like Adolphe Delattre in France who at least tried to divorce.

Last edited:
In the script it was written as 'seperated'. Maybe no formal act of devorcion was done. It may to much interpretation from my side. I doubt that the reason is documented. But there are other examples like Adolphe Delattre in France who at least tried to devorce.
OK thanks for that.

I find: Franziska Forrer geb. Anton Forrer

Death Date 31 Mär 1867 (31 Mar 1867)
Burial Date 02 Apr 1867 (2 Apr 1867)
Burial Place Reibers, Niederösterreich (Lower Austria), Österreich (Austria)
Diocese St Poelten.
Aged 54 i.e. born 1813

She was Roman Catholic so remarriage was not an option.
Interesting - the dates and names seemed to fit perfectly. But Reibers? Even though I grew up in Lower Austria I had to look it up at the map. It was such an unlikely place for her to go, so I looked up the record (attached). In reads un translaetion: "Franzsika, spouse of Adam Zorrer [or Zörrer], farmer's wife, née Androsch." Sorry, not our Franzsika.

Attachments

• Reibers 1867.jpg
    Reibers 1867.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 3
Good catch Christian - Have to always check the automatic transcriptions. Easy to see how a computer could read this as Anton.

Here is a slightly enlarged and illustrated version of my account of Forrer's life.

Attachments

• Alphonse Forrer. A Forgotten Collector.pdf
    386.1 KB · Views: 9
Nice work Christian, just one edit. The baptism record I sent shows he was born on 4 January.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-01-06-25-02-167_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-01-06-25-02-167_com.android.chrome.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 4
Nice work Christian, just one edit. The baptism record I sent shows he was born on 4 January.
Thanks for pointing out this detail. The Swiss record gives 4 February as date of birth and 6 February as that of baptism, perhaps it seemed unreasonable that as the London record indicates more than a month had passed between birth of 4 January and 6 February. Of course the London record is the correct one.

Christian, I would also suggest that the list of taxa (on top of the Authorship/s) ought to include the year/s of description/publication, as well as brackets/parenthesis (when appropriate that is, of course).

List.jpg
Just to make it a bit more easy to understand.

Maybe worth considering?

Christian, I would also suggest that the list of taxa (on top of the Authorship/s) ought to include the year/s of description/publication, as well as brackets/parenthesis (when appropriate that is, of course).

View attachment 1518720
Just to make it a bit more easy to understand.

Maybe worth considering?
Thanks for the excellent suggestion. See the attachment.

Attachments

384.7 KB · Views: 6
Somewhat better, Christian ...

Maybe just one bracket/parenthesis too much:
Erigeron forreri (Greene) (Greene, 1891)

However, I don't think brackets/parenthesis are applicable on all, not on every single taxon! :oops:

For example, as I understand it, the Authorships (and years) of the Birds in Vireo and Amazilia shouldn't be in brackets/parenthesis at all, as both were originally described as such (i.e. in the same Genus respectively), contrary to the Spinus which was originally described in Chrysomitris (see post #1).

The use of Brackets/parenthesis ("when appropriate", as I wrote it in post #29), like in the case of "(Salvin & Godman, 1886)" tells the reader that this taxon was originally placed in another Genus compared with where we find it today.

With the Non-birds I cannot help you. Sorry.

Maybe some else (with more knowledge of formalities) can explain the use of Brackets/parenthesis (in Biology/Taxonomy) better than I can ... ?

Good luck with the final draft of your text about Alphonse Forrer (1839–1899) ...

Cheers!

Björn

PS. As you've understood by now, listing items in an "ethnographic collection" is quite different from (the formal way of) listing biological taxa/specimens. ;)

Last edited:
I think the code is not restricted to birds. Therefore International Code of Zoological Nomenclature and not International Code of Ornithological Nomenclature. The rules are only different for plants. At least this is my understanding.

Interesting - the dates and names seemed to fit perfectly. But Reibers? Even though I grew up in Lower Austria I had to look it up at the map. It was such an unlikely place for her to go, so I looked up the record (attached). In reads un translaetion: "Franzsika, spouse of Adam Zorrer [or Zörrer], farmer's wife, née Androsch." Sorry, not our Franzsika.
At least some more about her father Weishaupt, Karl Anton Gregor

Thanks again. There is nothing like consistent rules, and I am willing to learn. However, looking at the practice followed by various standard sources, there appears to be some difference of opinion about what these rules are. I will look at the matter again along the lines you have suggetsed.
C.

When two synonymous names are cited, my inclination would be to do the opposite of what is done in the paper -- to cite the name dedicated to Forrer first, then its synonym in parentheses.
Also, even though this is regularly done, I always feel disturbed by the use of the '=' sign to indicate something else than an objective (homotypic) synonymy, i.e., the fact that both names are based on the same type.

I'm not really familiar either with botanical practice, which indeed differs from that of zoology.
The citation of 'botanical' names (= names of algae, fungi and plants) is ruled by Art. 46 of ICNafp : Article 46
Note that, unlike zoological practice, it's not really standard to cite names in the form name-author-year in botany. It's more usual to see citations either as name-author, without any year, or as name-author-reference-to-the-protologue. In the latter case, the examples in the Code suggest to place the ref in parentheses; in practice, it is also regularly separated from the author's name by a coma (or a semicolon).
Below is what I would perceive to be standard botanical practice (if there's a botanist around, and he disagrees, I'm more than happy to be corrected) :

Erigeron forreri (Greene) (Greene, 1891)
[= Achaetogeron forreri (Greene, 1888)]
Achaetogeron forreri Greene​
[= Erigeron forreri (Greene) Greene]​
or :
Achaetogeron forreri Greene, Pittonia 1: 155 (1888)​
[= Erigeron forreri (Greene) Greene, Pittonia 2: 169 (1891)]​

Ranunculus forreri (Greene, 1888)
Ranunculus forreri Greene​
or :
Ranunculus forreri Greene, Pittonia 1: 154 (1888)​

Salvia forreri (Greene, 1888)
Salvia forreri Greene​
or :
Salvia forreri Greene, Pittonia 1: 156 (1888)​

Selaginella lepidophylla ([Hook. & Grev.] Spring, 1840)
[= Selaginella rediviva Forrer ex. Wittr.]
This would be :
Selaginella rediviva Forrer ex. Wittr.​
[a synonym of Selaginella lepidophylla (Hook. & Grev.) Spring]​
or :
Selaginella rediviva Forrer ex Wittr, Acta Hort. Berg. 1(8): 48 (1891)​
[a synonym of Selaginella lepidophylla (Hook. & Grev.) Spring, in Mart., Fl. Bras. 1(2): 126 (1840)]​
...but note that "Forrer" in the above is the person to whom Wittrock attributed the name Selaginella rediviva, not a part of the name of the plant itself : I'm not fully sure it has its place in this list.

Also :

Sedum forreri Greene​
or :
Sedum forreri Greene, Pittonia 1: 162 (1888)​

Cnidaria:
In zoology, the citation of authors is ruled by Art. 51 of ICZN : Article 51. Citation of names of authors | International Code of Zoological Nomenclature

Eugorgia aurantiaca (Horn, 1860)
[= Eugorgia forreri (Studer, 1883)]
Eugorgia forreri Studer, 1883
[a synonym of Eugorgia aurantiaca (Horn, 1860)]​

Echinodermata:
Stylasterias forreri (deLoriol, 1887)
[= Asterias forreri (deLoriol, 1887)
Asterias forreri de Loriol, 1887​
[now Stylasterias forreri (de Loriol, 1887)]​

Mollusca:
Drymaeus dunkeri forreri (Mousson, 1884)
[= Bulimulus forreri (Mousson, 1884)]
Bulimulus forreri Mousson, 1884​
[now Drymaeus dunkeri forreri (Mousson, 1884)]​

Forreria belcheri (Hinds, 1844)
genus Forreria Jousseaume, 1880​
[type Murex belcheri Hinds, 1844 = Forreria belcheri (Hinds, 1844); also includes Forreria corteziana Berschauer, Petuch & Clark, 2018]​

Insecta:
Anaea (Memphis) forreri (Godman & Salvin, 1884)
Anaea forreri Godman & Salvin, 1884​
[now Anaea (Memphis) forreri Godman & Salvin, 1884 or Memphis forreri (Godman & Salvin, 1884)]​

Bryolymnia forreri (Druce, 1889)
Dacira forreri Druce 1889​
[now Bryolymnia forreri (Druce, 1889)]​

Also in Lepidoptera :

Langsdorfia forreri Druce, 1887​

Stenoma forreri Walsingham, 1913​
[now Antaeotricha forreri (Walsingham, 1913)]​

Caenopamera forreri (Distant, 1893)
Pseudopamera forreri Distant, 1893​
[now Caenopamera forreri (Distant, 1893)]​

Carabus (Tanaocarabus) forreri forreri (Bates, 1882)
Carabus forreri Bates, 1882​
[now Carabus (Tanaocarabus) forreri Bates, 1882 or Tanaocarabus forreri (Bates, 1882)]​

Canthon (Boreocanthon) forreri (Bates, 1887)
Canthon forreri Bates, 1887​
[now Canthon (Boreocanthon) forreri Bates, 1887 or Boreocanthon forreri (Bates, 1887)]​

Chalcolepidius forreri (Candèze, 1886)
Chalcolepidius forreri Candèze, 1886​

Chauliognathus forreri (Gorham, 1885)
Chauliognathus forreri Gorham, 1885​

Chlaenius forreri (Bates, 1884)
Chlaenius forreri Bates, 1884​

Cryptocephalus forreri (Jacoby, 1889)
Cryptocephalus forreri Jacoby, 1889​

Derobrachus germinatus (LeConte, 1853)
[= Derobrachus forreri (Bates, 1884)]
Derobrachus forreri Bates, 1884​
[a synonym of Derobrachus geminatus LeConte, 1853]​

Ericydeus forreri (Champion, 1911)
Cyphus forreri Champion 1911​
[now Ericydeus forreri (Champion, 1911)]​

Galerita forreri (Bates, 1883)
Galerita forreri Bates, 1883​

Mannophorus forreri (Bates, 1885)
Mannophorus forreri Bates, 1885​

Also in Coleoptera :

Elaeodes forreri Champion, 1884​
[now Eleodes forreri Champion, 1884]​

Asida forreri Champion, 1884​
[now Stenomorpha forreri (Champion, 1884)]​

Anomala forreri Bates, 1888​

Pachybrachis forreri Jacoby, 1889​

Nicentrus forreri Champion, 1908​

In Diptera :

Nemoraea forreri van der Wulp 1894​
[now Exopalpus forreri (van der Wulp, 1894)]​

In Hemiptera :

Amnestus forreri Distant, 1893​

Aves:
Amazilis amazilia (Lesson & Garnot, 1827)
[= Spinus notatus forreri (Boucard, 1893)]
Amazilia forreri Boucard, 1893​
[a synonym of Amazilis amazilia (Lesson & Garnot, 1827)]​

Spinus notatus forreri (Salvin & Godman, 1886)
Chrysomitris forreri Salvin & Godman 1886​
[now Spinus notatus forreri (Salvin & Godman, 1886)]​

Vireo flavoviridis forreri (Madarász, 1885)
[= Vireo olivaceus forreri (Linneaeus, 1776)]
Vireo forreri Madarász, 1885​
[now Vireo olivaceus forreri Madarász, 1885]​

Amphibia:
Lithobates forreri (Boulenger, 1883
Rana forreri (Boulenger, 1883)
Rana forreri Boulenger, 1883​
[now Lithobates forreri (Boulenger, 1883)]​

Also, Reptilia:

Leptophis diplotropis forreri Smith, 1943​

When two synonymous names are cited, my inclination would be to do the opposite of what is done in the paper -- to cite the name dedicated to Forrer first, then its synonym in parentheses.
Also, even though this is regularly done, I always feel disturbed by the use of the '=' sign to indicate something else than an objective (homotypic) synonymy, i.e., the fact that both names are based on the same type.

I'm not really familiar either with botanical practice, which indeed differs from that of zoology.
The citation of 'botanical' names (= names of algae, fungi and plants) is ruled by Art. 46 of ICNafp : Article 46
Note that, unlike zoological practice, it's not really standard to cite names in the form name-author-year in botany. It's more usual to see citations either as name-author, without any year, or as name-author-reference-to-the-protologue. In the latter case, the examples in the Code suggest to place the ref in parentheses; in practice, it is also regularly separated from the author's name by a coma (or a semicolon).
Below is what I would perceive to be standard botanical practice (if there's a botanist around, and he disagrees, I'm more than happy to be corrected) :

Achaetogeron forreri Greene​
[= Erigeron forreri (Greene) Greene]​
or :
Achaetogeron forreri Greene, Pittonia 1: 155 (1888)​
[= Erigeron forreri (Greene) Greene, Pittonia 2: 169 (1891)]​

Ranunculus forreri Greene​
or :
Ranunculus forreri Greene, Pittonia 1: 154 (1888)​

Salvia forreri Greene​
or :
Salvia forreri Greene, Pittonia 1: 156 (1888)​

This would be :
Selaginella rediviva Forrer ex. Wittr.​
[a synonym of Selaginella lepidophylla (Hook. & Grev.) Spring]​
or :
Selaginella rediviva Forrer ex Wittr, Acta Hort. Berg. 1(8): 48 (1891)​
[a synonym of Selaginella lepidophylla (Hook. & Grev.) Spring, in Mart., Fl. Bras. 1(2): 126 (1840)]​
...but note that "Forrer" in the above is the person to whom Wittrock attributed the name Selaginella rediviva, not a part of the name of the plant itself : I'm not fully sure it has its place in this list.

Also :

Sedum forreri Greene​
or :
Sedum forreri Greene, Pittonia 1: 162 (1888)​

In zoology, the citation of authors is ruled by Art. 51 of ICZN : Article 51. Citation of names of authors | International Code of Zoological Nomenclature

Eugorgia forreri Studer, 1883
[a synonym of Eugorgia aurantiaca (Horn, 1860)]​

Asterias forreri de Loriol, 1887​
[now Stylasterias forreri (de Loriol, 1887)]​

Bulimulus forreri Mousson, 1884​
[now Drymaeus dunkeri forreri (Mousson, 1884)]​

genus Forreria Jousseaume, 1880​
[type Murex belcheri Hinds, 1844 = Forreria belcheri (Hinds, 1844); also includes Forreria corteziana Berschauer, Petuch & Clark, 2018]​

Anaea forreri Godman & Salvin, 1884​
[now Anaea (Memphis) forreri Godman & Salvin, 1884 or Memphis forreri (Godman & Salvin, 1884)]​

Dacira forreri Druce 1889​
[now Bryolymnia forreri (Druce, 1889)]​

Also in Lepidoptera :

Langsdorfia forreri Druce, 1887​

Stenoma forreri Walsingham, 1913​
[now Antaeotricha forreri (Walsingham, 1913)]​

Pseudopamera forreri Distant, 1893​
[now Caenopamera forreri (Distant, 1893)]​

Carabus forreri Bates, 1882​
[now Carabus (Tanaocarabus) forreri Bates, 1882 or Tanaocarabus forreri (Bates, 1882)]​

Canthon forreri Bates, 1887​
[now Canthon (Boreocanthon) forreri Bates, 1887 or Boreocanthon forreri (Bates, 1887)]​

Chalcolepidius forreri Candèze, 1886​

Chauliognathus forreri Gorham, 1885​

Chlaenius forreri Bates, 1884​

Cryptocephalus forreri Jacoby, 1889​

Derobrachus forreri Bates, 1884​
[a synonym of Derobrachus geminatus LeConte, 1853]​

Cyphus forreri Champion 1911​
[now Ericydeus forreri (Champion, 1911)]​

Galerita forreri Bates, 1883​

Mannophorus forreri Bates, 1885​

Also in Coleoptera :

Elaeodes forreri Champion, 1884​
[now Eleodes forreri Champion, 1884]​

Asida forreri Champion, 1884​
[now Stenomorpha forreri (Champion, 1884)]​

Anomala forreri Bates, 1888​

Pachybrachis forreri Jacoby, 1889​

Nicentrus forreri Champion, 1908​

In Diptera :

Nemoraea forreri van der Wulp 1894​
[now Exopalpus forreri (van der Wulp, 1894)]​

In Hemiptera :

Amnestus forreri Distant, 1893​

Amazilia forreri Boucard, 1893​
[a synonym of Amazilis amazilia (Lesson & Garnot, 1827)]​

Chrysomitris forreri Salvin & Godman 1886​
[now Spinus notatus forreri (Salvin & Godman, 1886)]​

Vireo forreri Madarász, 1885​
[now Vireo olivaceus forreri Madarász, 1885]​

Rana forreri Boulenger, 1883​
[now Lithobates forreri (Boulenger, 1883)]​

Also, Reptilia:

Leptophis diplotropis forreri Smith, 1943​
This is truly outstanding. Thank you so much!
Please, find attached what I hope is the final revision.

Attachments

386.5 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back