• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting scope or thermal scope for hearing impaired? (1 Viewer)

kitcherjohn

South Korea
I wear hearing aids and cant locate birds through sound.

I went birding with some pals to a lake recently and had a great time using their scopes (a first for me - i usually just use binoculars and take photos with my camera). I now really really want to buy a spotting scope but i'm thinking that a thermal scope might be a better option given my inability to locate birds by sound. I live on a mountain so i wouldn't get many opportunities to use a scope anyway. Thoughts?

Welcome to Birdforum. Thermal is monochrome and has quite low magnification, around 2-3x (anything further is "digital zoom" with no additional resolution). You'd still need a bin or scope (depending on distance) to get a good view of any birds it finds. It carries easily; a scope requires a tripod. Birds at scope range are seldom located by sound. So really these are two rather different issues.

You can read more about thermal birding here:

Last edited:
Locating by sound is usually to ID things hidden in bushes, which thermal can’t help much with. If you did find something it probably would have moved if/when you’d got another optic on it for a better view. A scope would help for all those (probably
Many more) times things are a long way off. I hear many birds in scrub, but rarely manage to ever find them, I use a bird song ID app to help me.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back