• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting Space (1 Viewer)

John goshawk

Scotland
Hi fellow birders.

The other night I couldn't be bothered setting up my astro refractor, so instead had a look with my hummingbird 50ED and a 18mm astro eyepiece. Magnification only about 10x FOV 5-6 degrees.
I was pleasantly surprised how good the views were. I also spotted quite a lot of wader activity - oyster catchers silently flying over the city (Edinburgh )at night towards the coast etc.
Can anyone else give their experience of using their spotting for low power/wide field of view for surfing the stars.
Please note I'm not talking about high mag planetary views. What kind of wide FOV are possible - and how good is the image.

Thanks all. John

I use the 12x on my SDL v2 zoom / MM4 50 ED to casually watch Jupiter or the moon when theyv are in the skies. Always a great view!

Which leads me to ask: I know there are reasonably priced and compact electronic trackers. Could one be used with a spotting scope?

I enjoy the new moon at 25x. Saw rings of Saturn last summer. Did not know the crescent phases of Venus. The view of Saturn was clear and clean at 2 a.m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back