• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St Mary's Island . . . again! (1 Viewer)

Had a good seawatch this afternoon from St Mary's Island (Northumbs):

Red-throated Diver: 1 N
Sooty Shearwater: 2 N
Manx Shearwater: c.300 N
Balearic Shearwater: 1 N
Arctic Skua: 16 N 4 S
Great Skua: 12 N
Pomarine Skua: 2 ads N together - one with a super 'spoony' tail, the other with the tail tip broken off
Long-tailed Skua: 1 juv N

Roseate Tern: about 30+ hanging around, sitting on rocks and fishing offshore - almost constant 'chuwit' calls for the whole 4½ hours. Many more probables far offshore in big feeding flocks of terns.

Other supporting cast: Fulmar, Gannet, Cormorant, Wigeon, Teal, Common Scoter, Eider, Kittiwake, Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Guillemot, Puffin

Also two birds which several people - including some very experienced birders - said were Little Auks. I thought they could have been, but wasn't 100% certain that they weren't just juvenile Puffins not yet fully grown (though fledged)

Michael

Ok this may be a dumb question, but why are so many going North this time of year ?

Or have I just read it wrong ?

Certainly looks impressive ..... whichever way they were going !

Last edited:
Hi Carlos,

Everything (except a small handful of skuas and terns) goes north along the UK east coast, all times of the year. A bit complicated to explain why at nearly midnight - I'll post something later

Michael

Dear Michael,

You have an audience of two now.

Looking forward to your reply. Sea-watching is going to be my next adventure, so a little when to, how to, would be a great help.

The North Atlantic synoptic charts are predicting 20 knot Northerly winds later in the week, hopefully a good omen, as I have to be in Durham Thursday or Friday and should manage to round the day off with a few hours at the coast.

In anticipation.
Gordon B-S.

Hi Michael,

Sounds like another superb day up there I wouldn't mind seeing the Scoter, Shearwaters and the various Skuas.

The 4½ hours you mention, is that the amount of time the Causeway is cut off due to the high tide ?

Gadzooks! I'd have had four lifers with you in that trip. I was toying with the idea of trying to come up to Newcastle for Roseate Terns when I'm back in the UK at the end of next month but I'm not sure I'll make it. One day....

E

Hi Edward,

Balearic, Pom, Roseate, and ...... ??

Sooty Shear? Can't really believe you can't get them fairly easily on an Iceland south coast seawatch in July/August

Michael

Michael

the news this morning north past whitburn was of a presumed Feas Petrel at 0900 from the obs with an Adult White Billed Diver at 0800 going north also. i think the east coast has so much to offer the seawatcher at this time of year and your report bears that out

its a pity the above birds didnt pass you on your seawatch y/day, that would have made your day exceptional !

Last edited:
Sooty Shearwater indeed. Well there are seen every year off the south coast and I intended to try for them at the weekend but it was foggy. They're not that easy though. I had a good look out in early August too. It's just a question of putting in the hours I suppose. Pomarine Skua should be even easier, in May anyway.

Paul, nice to see someone else from Stockport on these boards. Spent my formative years there and will be gracing Cheadle Hulme with my presence again next week. No chance of a Fea's Petrel swooping over the Mersey beneath the viaduct I suppose?

E

Edward

i think pigs will have to fly before i see feas in stockport but its a nice thought !

i have been extremely lucky and fortunate enough to see three soft plumaged petrels in the five years i have been birding, 2 on the bridges of ross in County Clare and one off the scillonian pelagic for nearly an hour around the boat !

Maybe the whitburn bird will be picked up again this afternoon and tonight ? it would make somebodys day to see that travelling through your line of vision !

Seems not to have been picked up at Newbiggin. Don't know if anyone was looking at St Mary's this morning. Bit annoying, couldn't get down this a.m. Maybe tonite.

Michael

And again . . .

Went down to St Mary's again tonite . . . :D

10 Pomarine Skuas, including a flock of 9 together, very close in, all full adults with superb 'spoony' tails

1 adult Long-tailed Skua, also close in

12 Arctic Skuas

8 Bonxies (Great Skuas)

1 Balearic Shearwater

1 Sooty Shearwater

183 Manx Shearwaters

and still at least 45 Roseate Terns on the rocks - and a whole lot more fishing well offshore (and about 300-400 Common Terns, too)

That North Sea is rockin' right now! :D :t: :D

Michael

Last edited:
That's an impressive haul, Michael and I note several were "close in".
I would imagine they would need to be for an inexperienced sea-watcher.
At Titchwell recently,several people were calling out birds on the horizon which I could not safely identify at all.
Presumably a lot of experience is necessary.

Hi Grousemoor,
Yep, experience does help a lot - a Manx or Sooty Shearwater is easy enough at a half-mile, but you need to get your eye in well to pick them up at 2 miles. On a really clear day, I reckon an adult Gannet is identifiable - by its size and bright white plumage - at probably up to 8, maybe 10, miles.

Hi Chris,
Yep, a good one! - about 3 hours on Monday, and 2½ last night.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back