• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ST80 HD waterproofing and case (2 Viewers)

Sibelius54

United Kingdom
Hello, I've only just joined the forum so I hope this is the right place.
I've recently bought a Swarovski ST80 HD manufactured in 1994 (going by the serial number), and exchanged the old 32x W eyepiece for a newer 30x WS, which is a significant upgrade and I'm very pleased with it. It has a few cosmetic scuffs but the optics are in excellent condition.

I believe these scopes were waterproof when made, but as mine is now 30 years old I'm a little worried to use it in anything more than a light drizzle. Is there a simple way to test whether the waterproofing is still effective?

It also came with the original case which all works fine, but on the inside the foam appears to be disintegrating and leaving a kind of orange dust on the scope. Is this a known issue with the ST/AT 80 scope cases?

Welcome to Birdforum! There is a separate section for scopes, but this will do.
Is there a simple way to test whether the waterproofing is still effective?
Of course, but it sounds more like you don't want to. You could just send it in for service. I'm sure they'd love to see this, and it might benefit from a good cleaning.

Foam always disintegrates. You can buy replacement foam online and cut (or pick out cutouts) to fit.

Welcome to Birdforum! There is a separate section for scopes, but this will do.

Of course, but it sounds more like you don't want to. You could just send it in for service. I'm sure they'd love to see this, and it might benefit from a good cleaning.

Foam always disintegrates. You can buy replacement foam online and cut (or pick out cutouts) to fit.
Thank you! That sounds like good advice. The 30x eyepiece needs to go to Swarovski in any case as the eyecup pulls right off rather than screwing up and down, so I might as well send them the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back