• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stunning marsh harriers at Burton Mere Wetlands (1 Viewer)

bartolli

I briefly posted about this on monday in the cheshire + wirral thread.

On monday the missus and I went to BMW, when we arrived one marsh harrier was displaying well, as usual getting harrassed by crows etc.
After a while it seemed to flush a second marsh harrier and several clashes ensued. The photos attached are cropped stills from a video, so apologies for the quality!

Then 3 buzzards joined in the melee, this time the buzzards harrassing the harriers. Keeping track of who was harrying who was difficult, but hugely entertaining for everyone who braved the weather.

I hope to upload the full vid onto my youtube channel in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• mh1.jpg
    mh1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 130
  • mh2.jpg
    mh2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 137
  • mh4.jpg
    mh4.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 131
What a great spectacle to see! I called at Burton Mere today and saw Marsh Harriers flying past, but nothing like that in the video.

It was rather grand! It was probably the longest display I've seen at BMW, lasting over 30 minutes with a couple of breaks here + there.
That day was a good one, the cattle egret was doing what it says on the tin as well, strutting away under the cows, what a strange modus operandii! Oh and 2 water rails later on too! We're getting spoilt!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back