• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sub £100 8×25 and 8x21 suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Bentley03

United Kingdom
I'm looking for a bit of help choosing a couple of pairs of budget pocket bins for my elderly parents (89 and 92). There is no way the standard practice of try before you buy is going to happen, so I'm hoping the experiences of some of you might lessen the gamble, if you have time to share any helpful thoughts/information on here.

I'm looking for an 8x25 and an 8x21 (or close to those magnifications), both preferably double hinged. Neither of them wear glasses when using binoculars and ease of set up and ease of use are priorities.

Currently I have my eye on a Barr and Stroud Series 5 8x25 and an Olympus 8x21 RC ii WP. Any thoughts on these two or suggestions for potentially better alternatives would be very much appreciated.

Thank you chaps and chapesses! 🙂

Bentley,

Nice idea! The Kowas referenced by Mono look very good. I don't have any experience with this particular model but their YF porros are excellent for the money of course. IIRC, A member recently posted a comparative review of two lower priced Kowa pockets on the Kowa forum which may provide some guidance.

I do have two Opticron pockets (models now discontinued) in the $200-$300 USD price range and they are outstanding so you may want to check the current Opticron lineup for pockets in your price range.

Mike

The Kowa YF II 6x30 porro are better than any of those small, low-end roof's. I believe your parents would like them better, and the 6x30 magnification would be easier to hold steady and have easier eye placement with the bigger exit pupil.

Last edited:
Mike and Dennis, thank you very much for your suggestions. The little porros I'll rule out, they just don't quite meet the 'pocket' requirement which the double hinged types do. But very thoughtful and sensible suggestion, for the reasons you gave, Dennis. Thanks chaps! 🙂

And Mike, I did check Opticron and felt the Barr and Stroud instrument I refererenced, at least on paper, appeared to offer more bang for my buck, but I'll double check. Thank you!

How about some 8X25 Travelite reverse porros from Nikon, they are in your budget.
Interesting suggestion, I hadn't considered reverse porros. I'll check them out, although I have a suspicion they may be less compact than they need to be. Thank you! 🙂

Take a look at the RSPB branded binoculars. Very slightly over your price range but you can try before you buy at most of their reserves. They’re waterproof and available for £110 at 8x25.

You know what, that 'apparently' oversized focus wheel could be ideal for my old man. Much will depend on how compact they are once in their case, but that's a really good suggestion. I'll be at Arne in the next couple of weeks, so will check them out at the shop there (after a coffee and one of their excellent bacon or sausage breakfast rolls 😉😋). Thanks Mike! 🙂

In the end I've gone for the 8x25 Kowa, they fit the brief perfectly.

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations for a 'user friendly' sub £100 8×20/8×21?

Thank you!

Last edited:
My “advice” would be to look up Opticron Trailfinder 8x25, last time I researched pocket binoculars the were about £86.
Thanks Mike. A little research shows them available even cheaper than that!

I decided the familiarity of a double hinged binocular for my parents would be preferable, they both carry them in pockets and are used to a double hinged design. That's why I settled on the Kowa.

I need the 8x20/8x21 for my Mum to be double hinged too.

Thank you.

Thanks Mike. A little research shows them available even cheaper than that!

I decided the familiarity of a double hinged binocular for my parents would be preferable, they both carry them in pockets and are used to a double hinged design. That's why I settled on the Kowa.

I need the 8x20/8x21 for my Mum to be double hinged too.

Thank you.

If you're positive it has to be an 8x21 rather than 8x25 maybe the Opticron Explorer?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back