• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer Visit (1 Viewer)

Jeff Hopkins

Just another...observer
United States
Hi All,

Looks like my next visit to Asia is going to be Korea again, this time in June. I know summertime in Korea isn't the best birding season, but I figure I'll have some time to kill on a weekend or two. I won't have any transport - our company doesn't let us drive there anymore - so I'm stuck with public transport. I'll be based out of Ansan, near Seoul, but could possible get away for a day trip or even a weekend.

I've birded a lot in Korea, mostly in the outskirts of Seoul, and elsewhere in Asia, too, so the typical target birds one goes to Korea for (waders, spoonbills, gulls) are not really a priority - not that waders will be around in late June anyway. I've looked at the Birds Korea list of what can be found in Korea, and there's only about a dozen birds found in the summer that would be new. But I was hoping people on the list here could make some recommendations on where I might find those targets.

Here's the target list:

Hazel Grouse - Any chance at Namhansanseong or Seoraksan?
Streaked Shearwater - East Coast?
Swinhoe's Storm-petrel - East Coast?
Shrenk's Bittern
Chinese Sparrowhawk
Ruddy Crake
Northern Hawk Cuckoo
Oriental Cuckoo
Oriental Scops-owl
Northern Boobook
Ruddy Kingfisher
Fairy Pitta
Manchurian Bush-warbler
Asian Stubtail
Styan's Grasshopper-warbler - Any chance this can be found at Ansan Reed Park?

Yes, I know. None of them are slam dunks, and it's doubtful any could be found in suburban Seoul, so I was thinking about going to Seoraksan for the weekend after the work is done. But it might be pretty crowded by the time I get there in late June.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

Jeff

PS Or should I just stop in Hokkaido on the way home :-O

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back