• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surprises Through My Zeisses / 7 Owls! (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
You are welcome to join me in this 7th of a series of articles taking a look back over my shoulder at some sightings that have not only delighted us but startled and surprised us.

We absolutely love owls and regularly hear the duet of male and female Tawny Owls near our home. With relatively broad faces and large eyes, they perhaps have the most human-like faces of all birds and of course many of them carry with them the mystery of being night-birds.

In 1999 we made the first of 5 visits to a village in the south of France called Le Somail and from our veranda at the back of our gîte we had a view across vineyards and the rears of several nearby village buildings. We soon noticed that in the evening, one of the nearby roofs was host to a Little Owl, and after a time we realised that this was almost a daily occurrence. In fact village residents told us that there had always been an owl on that roof, every evening for as long as anyone could remember.

The Owl would simply stand on a corner of the tiled roof and gaze around until the light failed and then it would glide away over the vineyards presumably to hunt. On one humorous occasion we saw it come stomping out of a gap in the tiles, from where it presumably roosted in the roof space, and having made 3-4 steps towards its usual place on the corner of the roof, it turned around and stomped back to the gap and disappeared inside the roof. Haven’t we all felt like that from time to time? If there were parties of Swifts zooming around the building the Owl would watch these intently, its head turning to follow them through the air and its fascination with Swifts seemed just as strong 18 years later on our final visit in 2017.

By the time we visited for the fourth time the roof had been repaired and there was no access into the roof space but a Little Owl still appeared on the same roof on most evenings. Since the repair it favoured standing on a chimney from where it would still watch the Swifts flying by. The pic below shows this and I was fortunate to capture a Swift in the same shot.

In 2015 we had an extraordinary visit by an owl to our gîte, and this time it was a Tawny Owl. The windows around our upper-storey accommodation had security bars fitted across the outside, with a small gap between the bars and the glass. Late one evening we had just finished our dinner when we heard loud scuffling noises from the window nearest the trees that grew around one end of the building, so we crept over to it to take a look. We found a Tawny Owl trapped in the space between the bars and the window, and it was not happy to see us. It tried to flap its wings, and twisted and turned in its panic, and this is when something quite wonderful happened. Troubadoris was nearest the owl and she began making slow and gentle hand gestures while talking to the owl in soft, smooth voice and to my astonishment the owl watched her hands, stopped flapping madly and within a minute had re-arranged its plumage and calmed down. After another 15 seconds or so, it turned around and stepped coolly out through the bars and flew away. Believe it or believe it not, Troubadoris was an owl-whisperer on that occasion. We were too concerned for the bird’s welfare to start getting cameras out and are now just happy to remember that it recovered its wits enough to calmly exit the trap of the bars and escape.

This was not the only time an owl came to visit our holiday accommodation but on the second occasion it took place 1,350 miles / 2,200km north of Le Somail, on the Isle of Islay off the south-west coast of Scotland. Unusually for us we were staying in an upstairs apartment in a farmhouse with a view over sheep grazing meadows to the sea and a ridge of hills in the distance. We had finished our evening meal and were watching a DVD movie when there was a clattering and scratching noise from one of the windows. As it was dark it seemed clear that the culprit would be an owl but since the windows were not barred we were puzzled by the noises.

On the window-ledge there stood a Barn Owl in the middle of some complicated preening of its wing feathers which entailed flapping its wings madly every few seconds, hence the racket we could hear. It saw us approach the window and turned its back on us then finished its preening. It had probably landed here before and was used to apparitions of humans in the room that didn’t threaten it. After a minute or two, without even saying goodbye, it floated off over the garden below and headed for the sheep grazing beyond. Now, all bird plumage is beautiful when seen so close but I have a feeling that the Barnie’s plumage my just be the most exquisite I have ever seen.

Lee

France_2013_Jun_6999 - Copy.JPG

Hello Lee,

Thanks for the memories.

The first owls which I saw in central Park were long eared owls, possibly through a Zeiss Victory 8x40. In about 2004, I saw a boreal owl through my old Leitz Binuxit and later through a Zeiss 85mm Diascope. It hung around for a few day, especially near a restaurant, Tavern on the Green, especially at night when the owl had a choice of rodents near the trash. Saw Whet, screech, great horned and barred owls also turned up, through my Zeiss 8x32 FL, over the years. In the last few years barred owls and great horned owls seemed more common.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello Lee,

Thanks for the memories.

The first owls which I saw in central Park were long eared owls, possibly through a Zeiss Victory 8x40. In about 2004, I saw a boreal owl through my old Leitz Binuxit and later through a Zeiss 85mm Diascope. It hung around for a few day, especially near a restaurant, Tavern on the Green, especially at night when the owl had a choice of rodents near the trash. Saw Whet, screech, great horned and barred owls also turned up, through my Zeiss 8x32 FL, over the years. In the last few years barred owls and great horned owls seemed more common.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Wow Arthur that is quite a list of Owls. On one day in France we listed 4 Owls but 2 were heard rather than seen.

Stay safe
Lee

Wow Arthur that is quite a list of Owls. On one day in France we listed 4 Owls but 2 were heard rather than seen.

Stay safe
Lee
Hello Lee,

My last owl was a great horned owl, several weeks, ago, seen through a Zeiss 8x32FL. All my sightings were in daylight, except for two sightings of the boreal owl.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Another lovely article. Thank you so very much for sharing.

The maximum number of Owls that I have seen in a short period was around this time last year. I received a call from a retired colleague asking if I wanted to see the Long-eared Owl. I said yes in a heartbeat. Some friends had come over from Kolkata and some members of our local birding group, we piled into 2 cars and drove 300 kms to the Rajasthan - Haryana border north of Jaipur. The host went out of his way to make us comfortable and the food, drinks and company around a campfire was actually very nice.

It was foggy, very foggy when we went looking the next morning. And yes we saw Owls. After 3 sightings of Short-eared Owls we came across a pair of Long-eared Owls sitting inside the bushy canopy of A Jal tree - Salvadora persica. It was my first sighting and amazing birds they are. But skittish. One of us managed a foggy shot. In that fog, the host’s Zeiss HT and my Bushnell Legend 10x42 - both turned out to be of little use.

We came back for a sumptuous breakfast - home made butter, unleavened tandoori bread, a variety of spicy hot chutneys - the one made out of Wild melon - Cucumis pubeschens was exceptional, cottage cheese, and fresh curd and jaggery.
I was actually dozing off by the time we finished. But off we went again.

The area was a village pasture, typical of the edge of the Thar desert with a scattering of Salvadora trees. There were some farmland nearby, tilled and ready for the winter wheat sowing. Farms typically have a few Khejri (Prosopis cinereria) trees in these parts. First stop was an Indian Eagle Owl sitting on a Prosopis. Lovely beast. It flew off. We tried following it, and it was there sitting on a barn top. Some friends tried and went closer. I was sitting in the car when the host whispered to me to look left and down. There was a log around 50 odd feet away. He said “Owl”. It took me minute or more to locate a beautifully camouflaged Eagle Owl (probably female). Sitting comfortably on the ground!
It was unreal. I always thought these Owls nest on a rock ledge. We watched and photographed. Soon the male came over and they changed duties- they had 4 eggs!! 4 eggs on the ground! ( later in the end of January, our host called to inform that all four had hatched the couple had 4 healthy chicks).

Next stop was looking for the Long and Short-eared Owls. The latter were aplenty and handsome fellas gave some great views and photos. They stomp through grass burrows and love basking in the weak sun, always watchful for larger predators flying above. One guy was actually stalking a Short-toed Snake Eagle soaring above.

We kept looking, since no one was interested/ capable of lunch. Soon, our spotter said Owl! There was a pair of Long-eared Owls. They did fly off, but not before I managed a couple of shots. Amazing Owls. Their orange eyes so different from the yellow eyes of their Short-eared cousins.

The fog had lifted for a while but it started to come back. On our way back, on a Banyan tree near the village well was a Barn Owl. White like a ghost is was a great thing to see in the fading light.

After a quick cup of tea, we left for Jaipur. Reached back, dog-tired but happy at around 1 in the morning.

The next day, 4 of us went to Jhalana, a small woodland nearby. It is known for its Leopards. We did see a female. A local staff had told me that he had seen a Pallid Scops Owl. I had asked him to come along. So we went looking. After an hour of searching the Acacia senegal trees, the staffer pointed. Perfectly camouflaged against the bark was this little thing. The mimicry was amazing! Until it turned its head slightly, I wasn’t even sure I was seeing a bird. Photographed it to my hearts content - filled the APSC frame with a 300 mm.

As it became dark, we started back. My Kolkata friends had a late night flight to catch.

One fine Owly December it was.

Sorry Troubador for hikacking your thread. But Owls are striking birds indeed and I could not resist from sharing.

Arijit

Last edited by a moderator:
Another lovely article. Thank you so very much for sharing.

One fine Owly December it was.

Sorry Troubador for hikacking your thread. But Owls are striking birds indeed and I could not resist from sharing.

Arijit
Arijit, thank you and thanks again for sharing your owl-day. I am envious of your Eagle Owls and the Pallid Scops Owl. Terrific sightings and so nice that you told us about them.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back