• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tasco # 149 Safari III / Safari 3 6x24 roof (2 Viewers)

dlp755

United States
Tasco # 149 Safari III (Safari 3) 6x24 roof

10.5 degrees FOV, 551 feet/1000 yards (184m/1000m), 10.5oz, 5" tall x 4.5" wide, 4 lens fully coated achromatic, $99.95 new in 1973 per old ads. Appear to be Individual Focus (the front & rear knobs each focusing a different lens).

I bought a lightly used pair with case & lens caps at a garage sale or estate sale probably 10 years ago, for somewhere between $5 to $15.

Anyone else have a pair? Your impressions?

I find them very small & handy, but not a huge fan of individual focus.

Mine could use an internal cleaning, but I'm hesitant to disassemble.

There are plenty of YouTube videos & other instructions on cleaning old porros, but I can find no info on these bins at all, beyond the old ads.

If anyone has experience or instructions for disassembling/cleaning this model, please let me know.

www.ebay.com

1973 Tasco #149 Safari III and #502 Atom Binoculars Ad | eBay

www.ebay.com

1973 Tasco Safari 3 Binoculars Ad - Roof Prism | eBay

I had them many years ago, and they were in my fanny pack on deer hunting trips. About all I can remember about them, is they were not very bright, and at dawn and dusk they were pretty much worthless. But at the time they were all that my budget would allow for something small. I upgraded to some Pentax reverse porros and I was in heaven. Even those were pretty sad. But this was back in the early 80's.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back