• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (6 Viewers)

It is, it's fab, I can watch to see if it heads our way, towards Backwater :ROFLMAO:(y)
Just been watching a tractor doing a circuit of the field, went right below the nest, which woke her up LOL.

Not sure what he's spreading... white powder. Thought it was fertiliser at first, but then he went onto some rough grass by the 'machinery', whatever they call it LOL.

Just been watching a tractor doing a circuit of the field, went right below the nest, which woke her up LOL.

Not sure what he's spreading... white powder. Thought it was fertiliser at first, but then he went onto some rough grass by the 'machinery', whatever they call it LOL.
I'm Wildlife & Skies in the chat 👋

Oddly enough the air was full of nuthatch calls at Bluebell Wood near Kinclaven, Blairgowrie on Saturday. They're tricky little sods to catch sight of though. The notion of nuthatches being found in Perthshire woods would have been absurd when I started birding.
There's usually a pair up the Ericht, just past the stairs from the Riverside park and I found a nest in Den of Alyth (y)

Oddly enough the air was full of nuthatch calls at Bluebell Wood near Kinclaven, Blairgowrie on Saturday. They're tricky little sods to catch sight of though. The notion of nuthatches being found in Perthshire woods would have been absurd when I started birding.
I used to take rides through that wood back in the mid 1970's. I'm not too sure, but I don't think there were any Nuthatch in Scotland at that time?

As for the ones beside the Ericht... sadly I've not been able to walk that far for a few years now.

7 jays were flying together at camperdown park this morning which i thought was unusual given the time of year,one bird landed and promptly dug up an acorn ,there was a stock dove sitting quietly
beside a hole in a tree,the jackdaws have all went quiet i didn,t realise there was a colony there untill lockdown

at ardler pond a treecreeper was climbing the tree next to the feeders first time i have seen one here,the mutes have failed to return wonder if they have relocated to riverside nature park?not a single bird was on the pond but a moorhen was feeding on the grass,a great spotted woodpecker was calling but not seen,other birds seen chifchaff/robin/house sparrow/woodpigeon/starling/wren/blue tit/great tit/chaffinch

at clatto a group of birds were ground feeding at the car park 4 yellowhammers/4 magpies along with dunnocks coal tits and robins plus woodpigeons and blackbirds, blue tits and great tits were in the trees, an osprey flew over being chased by a carrion crow you rarely hear of osprey sightings here ,3 great crested grebes were on the water,2 pair of tufted ducks plus a pair of mutes and a lot of lssb gulls/herring gulls were on the water 2 great spotted woodpeckers were chasing each other in the trees

Attachments

• jay.jpg
    jay.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 3
  • st2.jpg
    st2.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 3
  • wren.jpg
    wren.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 3
Had to stay in to wait for my new scope (a present to myself) to be delivered today, so decided to see if there might be anything remotely interesting passing by (that wasn't just a Meadow Pipit, which I'm seeing/hearing most days). My expectations were very low.

At 0630, I spotted a couple of crows heading in from the east. Just in case I needed to take any photos (I prefer not to hang out the window with my camera as there are a lot of windows round about), I figured I would get the camera focus set up and picked 1 of the crows. It turned out to be a Hooded Crow! (I have had 1 in Dundee back in early May 2021, which dropped in at the Dighty mouth at Balmossie). I put word out on local grapevine, edited a couple of the photos and went back to the window a bit distracted.

22 minutes after the Hooded Crow, a small raptor flew past northbound relatively close to my window (and without triggering a panic among the local pigeons). I grabbed some photos, which were rather underexposed (due to the early morning sun behind the bird). Having lightened the photos on the PC, the bird appeared to be a Merlin. I tried to convince myself that it couldn't possibly be (especially so soon after the completely unexpected Hoodie) and to turn it into a Kestrel (still unusual from my window, but far more likely over my part of Dundee). I shared a couple of pics with my birding pal, Lainy, who immediately plumped for Merlin too. I posted the photos later in the afternoon on Twitter and got confirmation that the bird was indeed a Merlin (which was never in doubt, though I was in denial due to the sheer randomness of the 2 very unexpected birds within 20-ish minutes of each other, from my living room).

Probably one of the most unexpected half hours since I started birding. Does make me wonder though, just what I actually miss (in what is a rather unpromising location - my 'home-list' is now at 65).

Attachments

• 240423_0631030007.jpg
    240423_0631030007.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 240423_0631030008.jpg
    240423_0631030008.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 5
  • 240423_0706520001.jpg
    240423_0706520001.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 240423_0706530005 (2).jpg
    240423_0706530005 (2).jpg