• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Telinga Set Up-Best Options (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Finally decided to take the plunge and get a Telinga Parabol for bird recording, deciding upon the following as perhaps the best option..

Telinga Stereo DAT
Pro 7 Handle
Flexible dish with wind cover.

Marantz PMD661 Recorder

Is this recorder compatable with the Pro 7 handle and Mic? Have chosen the recorder based on it's size and portablity, nice clear display and ease of use. Will be recording bird species in a variety of habitats on the breeding grounds, but also very interested in flight calls, both of diurnal and nocturnal migrants and would hope to record these birds as well. Portability is a factor as I cover a lot of ground when birding. In the long run I would hope to build an extensive library of quality sound files.
What I am looking for is thoughts on this set up from those of you with wider experience in recording, as well as tips with regard to anything else I might need, will I need an external power source for example?
Would I be right to say the Stereo Dat Mic will have more depth and warmth over the Twin Science Mic, containing more ambient sound? I will be converting to sonograms, the Stereo Dat should be more than adequate?

Last edited:
buzzard12,
I have an identical set-up (except the Pro 6 handle) and can corroborate that the recorder and handle are fully compatible. It´s an excellent choice of equipment. Please listen to Xeno-canto recording: XC50401 for a taste of the soundscape. Bare in mind there are smaller recorders e.g. Olympus-11 that could suit your needs. The PMD-661 have two XLR-ports while the Olympus and others have 3.5 mm contacts. Take a look at www.solidstatesounds.co.uk for a good assortment.

Regards // Jonas

I can not help you with Telinga compatibility as I use gun mics and Jonas covers the compatibility issue nicely in his reply above.

What I would suggest is that Jonas makes a very good point about the Olympus LS-11 recorder. I have both the Marantz PMD661 recorder and the Olympus LS-11 recorder as I find while out trotting about the field hunting down wildlife sounds, the LS-11 recorder is a much more user friendly recorder for hand held field use as compared to the more bulky Marantz PMD661. However I also do extended period recordings during the night hours, and for this application, the Marantz PMD661 is the ideal recorder...

For a fixed location setup in the field where you are not moving about, have microphone setup mounted such as on a tripod and for extended period recording sessions from a blind, the Marantz PMD661 is the recorder of choice due to its more flexible operating options such as timed record start and stop, auto start on sounds, its ability to automatically create files of a user settable size automatically rather than create one long continuous large file.

The PMD661 takes two hands to operate as compared to the LS-11 which has fewer operating functions but can easily be held and operated in one hand pushing the necessary control buttons with your thumb while holding and aiming a microphone with your other hand. The point is, each recorder has a use for which it is best suited as designed. And both recorders being PMD type, the quality of sound digitizing and storage in file is comparable and pretty much equal between these two recorders, so that needs not be a consideration when making your choice...

Another factor, the Olympus LS-11 operates for a longer period time on its internal batteries by a factor of 4X... About 6 hours for the PMD661 on a set of 4 AA cells compared to the LS-11 which gets 24 hours or more on a set of 4 AA cells. With the LS-11, I do not have to carry spare batteries when in the field.

Many thanks guys, this is most helpful. I have had a look at the LS-11, I had not realized the audio quality was so high. Portability is ocviously much better and it is cheaper, so it seems a no brainer, at least as a recorder to use when mobile in large habitats. I will be spending time in a large National Park with the dish this spring in order to avoid noise pollution, so this would be of major benifit.
My first major migration taping will be in the autumn, so perhaps I can wait to look at a bigger recorder more suited to that. My main concern was to concentrate on getting a quality mic, and I think the pro telinga will fit the bill perfectly. May well be back for further tips on this section of the forum...again many thanks..

Depending on the recorder you decide to go for, please take a look at www.telinga.com to see the difference in microphone connector between the Pro7- and Pro7W-handles. And don´t forget to tap your recordings on Xeno-canto!

Regards // Jonas

Last edited:
Is this recorder compatable with the Pro 7 handle and Mic?.... What I am looking for is thoughts on this set up from those of you with wider experience in recording, as well as tips with regard to anything else I might need, will I need an external power source for example?
.....Would I be right to say the Stereo Dat Mic will have more depth and warmth over the Twin Science Mic, containing more ambient sound? I will be converting to sonograms, the Stereo Dat should be more than adequate?

Hi Buzzard12,

I use a Telinga Pro 6 ( Pro 7 is new version) with a Stereo DAT and Twin Science mic.

I would recommend a Fostex FR2LE recorder, in fact Klas Strandberg was recommending this recorder a few years ago as it gave smooth operation with its Phantom Power outlet (unlike the FR2 !) - you can get an option to have a battery or Phantom power options in the Telinga handles, but I would recommend the Phantom Power option and select a recorder with this option. If you want to use minidisc or small hand held you can always buy a separate battery converter from Klas (I did).

The Twin Sci is optimized for producing sonagrams and has a bit more "reach" (to my ears) but the Stereo DAT sounds more natural and is easier to "track" subjects due to the background being in stereo, with the focussed sound in mono. I pretty much use the Stereo DAT exclusively now and produce fantastic recordings and sonagrams of crossbills:

http://pinemuncher.blogspot.com

Hope this helps, they are great mics, very durable and functional in the field - mine is in its 7th year and going strong other than needing a new cable !

LC

Hi Buzzard12,

I use a Telinga Pro 6 ( Pro 7 is new version) with a Stereo DAT and Twin Science mic.

I would recommend a Fostex FR2LE recorder, in fact Klas Strandberg was recommending this recorder a few years ago as it gave smooth operation with its Phantom Power outlet (unlike the FR2 !) - you can get an option to have a battery or Phantom power options in the Telinga handles, but I would recommend the Phantom Power option and select a recorder with this option. If you want to use minidisc or small hand held you can always buy a separate battery converter from Klas (I did).

LC

Hi Bombycilla & et al,
I had a Fostex FR2-LE and certainly agree that the Fostex produces an exquisite and clean sound but I was not happy with the poor and plastic construction the machine, awkward orientation of recorder on your shoulder/hip, the poor handling properties and the extremely poor display. I traded it after one field-trip and appreciate the PMD-661 a lot more - its definitely a lot more field-worthy. I would definitely choose the PMD-661 in favour of the FR2-LE.

// Jonas

Last edited:
Hi Bombycilla & et al,
I had a Fostex FR2-LE and certainly agree that the Fostex produces an exquisite and clean sound but I was not happy with the poor and plastic construction the machine, awkward orientation of recorder on your shoulder/hip, the poor handling properties and the extremely poor display. I traded it after one field-trip and appreciate the PMD-661 a lot more - its definitely a lot more field-worthy. I would definitely choose the PMD-661 in favour of the FR2-LE.

// Jonas

It's a question of clean preamps for me - the FR2LE very closely matches the professional FR2 in quality of signal, in some respects it may be better. I also own a Fostex FR2. I would very much doubt the the Marantz 660 or 661 matches the preamp gain and sound quality of either Fostex machine.

I use a Portabrace Case for the LE and it handles fine. I usually keep the same gain levels (that optimises signal to noise and level) so I don't need to see the display in the field. I agree the LE is a bit 'plasticy' but mine is in its 6th year and no problems.
...and mine gets a helluva lot of use ! Shame you only gave it one field trip as I think it is a rewarding machine and offers the sound recordist a lot for the money.

LC

Last edited:
Firstly, many thanks to all for the comments here, very helpful...

By way of an update I can let you all know that I have secured a second hand Marrantz 661 through a friend in pristine working condition. The recorder is easy to use, quite light and came with a strap and bag for field recording...

The Telinga company have since updated their handles and as I speak there is a new Pro 8 handle, coupled with a Stereo Dat Mic and flexible parabol dish on its way to me, as well as a few extras such as a wind shield and soft case, so job done in regard of equipment...

I will be begining my field recording in earnest in March in a few different habitats, I will start a new thread to document finding my way along that particular learning curve...

Just a small point on field recorders. I much prefer recorders with XLR connections rather than smaller recorders with 3.5 m sockets. One reason for this is that XLR's lock into place and give a good solid connection, even if you are moving around. The mini jack plugs have no locking facility, can easily pull out while you are moving, and even if that doesn't happen, they can be prone to make noises upon movement also. The area of contact is pretty small.
Also larger recorders tend to have better metering, better preamps, and more options for inputs/outputs.
If budget is an issue, then get a small pocket-sized recorder, but if you can stretch the budget a bit further, I recommend getting a larger, professional recorder with XLR inputs.

Well, as an update, the Telinga Stereo Dat and Pro8 Kit arrived the day after Patrick's Day, a couple of weeks back. So far there have been four or five outings recording, mainly to Tyresta National Park south of Stockholm, Sweden. A few minor glitches due to my lack of familiarity with the equipment were soon ironed out and I am now getting good recordings. Very happy with the Marrantz 661, its a dream to use in the field and took only a few outings to get my head around.

For anyone interested in the progress of a complete beginner to recording with the kit, there is a thorough assessment of these outings, complete with hiccups, on my http://blogbirder.blogspot.com/ blog, link below. In general I have been blown away by the performance of the kit. I am firmly hooked on recording already and now hate air traffic overhead, distant motors and barking dogs in the middle of nowhere like the rest of you! The singing Blackbird in the early hours outside the window will never be the same... So far around forty recordings of various early spring species here in Sweden...

Many thanks again to all here for their kind help and good advice..

Last edited:
Well, as an update, the Telinga Stereo Dat and Pro8 Kit arrived the day after Patrick's Day, a couple of weeks back. So far there have been four or five outings recording, mainly to Tyresta National Park south of Stockholm, Sweden. A few minor glitches due to my lack of familiarity with the equipment were soon ironed out and I am now getting good recordings. Very happy with the Marrantz 661, its a dream to use in the field and took only a few outings to get my head around.

For anyone interested in the progress of a complete beginner to recording with the kit, there is a thorough assessment of these outings, complete with hiccups, on my http://blogbirder.blogspot.com/ blog, link below. In general I have been blown away by the performance of the kit. I am firmly hooked on recording already and now hate air traffic overhead, distant motors and barking dogs in the middle of nowhere like the rest of you! The singing Blackbird in the early hours outside the window will never be the same... So far around forty recordings of various early spring species here in Sweden...

Many thanks again to all here for their kind help and good advice..

Cool. Yeah I have a Marantz PMD661 too and it serves me well. I know what you mean about all the annoying noises that always seem to happen at the wrong times too ( planes, dogs etc), but if you spend enough time doing it there are usually the welcome silences from these other things, and the sound you want to capture can be heard clear and true.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back