• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tenerife/La Gomera - minor updates (1 Viewer)

pandachris

Merry Christmas all

We're just back from an 11 day trip to Tenerife and La Gomera. Here's a couple of updates that might or not be of use to other visiting birders.

A number of trip reports have observed that the Navieras Armas 'slow' ferry between the islands was the better choice for birders and cetacean spotters. It probably still is but at present their policy is to allow passengers outside in one very small area at the rear of the boat - and this was packed to the extent that we didn't fancy it - and of course lots of the people who were there were smokers. We had to content ourselves with views through the windows which was ok-ish for dolphins but rubbish for birds (there weren't any, so it didn't matter much). We'd been looking forward to the crossings. Hopefully this is a temporary or seasonal (it was almost flat calm) arrangement.

A number of trip reports have mentioned parking at Bar del Puente when visiting Tejina Pools on Tenerife. As far as we could tell, this no longer exists. To see the pools, we drove up the very steep Cami de Arico and turned into the narrow Cami Parma where there was parking overlooking the pools. Not much there when we visited apart from a Moorhen and a dozen or so Cattle Egrets.

After 3 December visits to the islands in 2018, 2019 and this time of year I've come to the conclusion that it's probably not worth taking a telescope. I think we got some value from it thrice in three visits (maybe more, if you count getting better looks at the waders and Spoonbills on the shoreline at Corralejo) - once the first time I put it up, at the lighthouse near Playa Blanca, to see two Bryde's/Sei Whales passign between Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, once when searching for the Fuerteventura Dwarf Bittern and once this year watching a pod of dolphins (most likely Bottle-nosed) from Charco del Viento on Tenerife. Perhaps we'll try going at a different time of year for a chance at some seabirds.

All in all, a pretty good trip. We got most of our targets except Laurel Pigeon and a few bonuses.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip Chris and thanks for the report.

Merry Christmas to you too lad.

We need to start a campaign for the top deck access for Armas boats. Write them that we are gonna sail with Fred is they don't open it back up. The money of the birders must sway them :) Really these ferries were the best things about the whole archipelago. The Fred's can be somewhat used (I have had plenty of success with that this year) but it's not optimal.

I should log on to birdforum more frequently. Thanks Delia.

I'll join you on the picket line of hundreds of disappointed birders outside the Navieras Armas offices, oppiska :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back