• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern or Gull, Sathorn, Bangkok, 23rd Jan (2 Viewers)

Milkteeth

Thailand
Any thoughts on this one, which flew swiftly over the house in central Bangkok yesterday? It was being harried by two crows, and was around the same size (or, I thought, slightly bigger). I managed to get a brief snippet on video from the other side of the house before it disappeared (attached).

Fast, direct flight. Very pale, slightly brownish (possibly light brown streaks on underside, but it passed overhead so quickly). Very little to no dark areas seen- no visible dark wingtips. I think perhaps there was a dark area on the head or bill.

Looks like an (immature) tern, from the wings and flight style? But I’d rule out the most obvious Whiskered due to the size- unless I completely misjudged its relationship to the pursuing crows. Also, there doesn’t appear to be much of a fork to the tail.

Lack of black on the wingtips would appear to rule out most gulls?

Either way, quite an unusual sight a mile away from the river in central Bangkok. Unless there’s something obvious I’m missing.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0567.jpeg
    IMG_0567.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 46
  • MVI_0779.mov
    8 MB
Out of curiousity I looked at ebird records and whiskered terns seem to be spotted quite frequently in Bangkok itself. At Benjakiti Park even which I do not think is close to the river nor to any marshes, and at Lumphini as well. I didn't check dates though so maybe they were all in the fall:) Anyways, nice sighting:)
steve

Out of curiousity I looked at ebird records and whiskered terns seem to be spotted quite frequently in Bangkok itself. At Benjakiti Park even which I do not think is close to the river nor to any marshes, and at Lumphini as well. I didn't check dates though so maybe they were all in the fall:) Anyways, nice sighting:)
steve
Hey Steve, cheers, yeah, plenty of Whiskered records in Bangkok, though almost exclusively on the river. Other than that, 6 or 7 sightings on eBird going back to 1955, from what I can see. Though 3 of those are from last year, so maybe they’re venturing in more frequently.
Or maybe it’s just a reflection of the city being more birded.

If I’d had only the first one-second glimpse of a bird with pointed wings shooting over the window, I would’ve assumed it was probably a falcon- much more likely for the location!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back