• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terrible! camera phone picture, taken in a back yard, Oregon USA. (1 Viewer)

KenM

I was sent this by my son-in-law, the other night he was cooking some freshly caught fish on the grill just inside the kitchen with the back door open.
All of a sudden he heard a noise outside!
So he wandered out with mobile at hand and imaged this “critter”, in his words….”he sensed it was big” and only about 2-3metres away!
Eventually it just melted back into the undergrowth with him a little unsure of what it was with only this single shot taken.
When I first saw it, I got the whole image “arse upwards” see what you make of it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.06.50 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 9.06.50 PM.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 82
Impressions were that it was a Cougar,
big head crouching low and coming towards, with it’s tail held slightly above body line? 😮
I had no idea of scale, I was thinking that the tail…was a neck and head was it’s rear.
Thus I suggested a nocturnal Turkey on the prowl🤣 however, I was informed that the silhouetted mass was far bigger than any Turkey with weight to match!
Looking again at the image, I think I can now see some possible larger feline face?

We cannot determine what it was from this photo. While it may be some large feline, there is no way we can tell. But now let's make some random guesses and see which one makes sense.

Changing the filter reveals the shape of a game bird, head and bill facing left, back of the bird which is clearly walking away, it's a Dodo.

Attachments

• Dodo.jpeg
    Dodo.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 16
I was sent this by my son-in-law, the other night he was cooking some freshly caught fish on the grill just inside the kitchen with the back door open.
All of a sudden he heard a noise outside!
So he wandered out with mobile at hand and imaged this “critter”, in his words….”he sensed it was big” and only about 2-3metres away!
Eventually it just melted back into the undergrowth with him a little unsure of what it was with only this single shot taken.
When I first saw it, I got the whole image “arse upwards” see what you make of it?
Just looking at the background vegetation, the subject does not seem large enough for a cougar.
It seems too chunky for a fox. Possibly a neighborhood dog, a skunk or a raccoon would be my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back