• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Ed Agter

Netherlands
Can't find the name of these birds in my book! Google gives Verditer Flycatcher as the name for the flycatcher but....
Thanks in advance,

Ed Agter
www.pbase.com/edagter

Attachments

• a b DSC_1164.jpg
    a b DSC_1164.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Verditer Flycatcher DSC_5040 bp.jpg
    Verditer Flycatcher DSC_5040 bp.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 32
I've not seen either, so take this with caution, but to keep this near the top how about Brown Fulvetta and Pale Blue Flycatcher.

A location would be helpful for the first photo - Brown Fulvetta has a much more restricted range in Thailand than Brown-cheeked. For me, it looks better for Brown-cheeked, as it has a uniformly grey head with a faint browline, dull grey bill and contrastingly brighter wings.

The flycatcher looks like a female Verditer to me - the lores are dark, the shade of blue of the upperparts isn't quite right for Pale Blue and the underparts are uniformly grey-blue, without a contrasting pale belly.

Ed, I had a look look at your PBase page. The bird you've labelled Tickell's Blue Flycatcher is Indochinese Blue (split some years back). Your "Hill Blue Flycatcher" doesn't look right - the throat wedge is to narrow. Where did you see it and do you have any more images? Lastly, the bird you've called "Slaty-backed Flycatcher" looks like a female White-rumped Shama to me.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy and Pete,
The first and second photo was taken in the province of Prachap Khiri Khan ca. 250- km. south of Kaeng Krachan.
And Andy I will look into the the names on my page an PBase. You know, I'm over eighty and my eye's are not that good anymore and I have a color problem. All the photo's are taken in the area of Kaeng Krachan til Surat Thani.
Thank you for the help, both of you.
Ed

Last edited:
Andy, three more photo's of the flycatcher.

Attachments

• A DSC_1189.jpg
    A DSC_1189.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 6
  • a DSC_1290.jpg
    a DSC_1290.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 6
  • A DSC_1921.jpg
    A DSC_1921.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 6
A location would be helpful for the first photo - Brown Fulvetta has a much more restricted range in Thailand than Brown-cheeked. For me, it looks better for Brown-cheeked, as it has a uniformly grey head with a faint browline, dull grey bill and contrastingly brighter wings.

The flycatcher looks like a female Verditer to me - the lores are dark, the shade of blue of the upperparts isn't quite right for Pale Blue and the underparts are uniformly grey-blue, without a contrasting pale belly.

Thanks for the corrections Andy, I was hoping by replying I would keep the thread current for someone who knew better to respond.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back