• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Last of the Curlews (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I'm reading Birds Britannica and the Eskimo Curlew is the first, and I hope the last of the birds in the book to be considered extinct.

There was mention of a book called The Last of the Curlews by Fred Bodsworth, and this film of the novel was made in 1972.

Thanks for this JT, I read the book when I was a kid (around 1962/3 I think) and it really marked me, I suppose I became motivated to try and do my small bit for protecting nature from that moment on. I was able to get a copy in recent years to give to my eldest son as one of his 40th birthday presents!

I think we need new generation of books and films like this one - bringing bird protection to the masses!

And, remarkably, the story is true to science - for example, birds don't think or talk like humans - but it was attractive to the general audience 50 years ago, nevertheless. The today thinking that media must be artificially catchy, cool, dumbed down - is not true.

I think we need new generation of books and films like this one - bringing bird protection to the masses!

And, remarkably, the story is true to science - for example, birds don't think or talk like humans - but it was attractive to the general audience 50 years ago, nevertheless. The today thinking that media must be artificially catchy, cool, dumbed down - is not true.
I think that thinking arises from people who are artificial, think they are cool and are actually dumb. Or as we say, media studies graduates.

John

Well, John, my daughter is a "media studies graduate". During her time at university she set up a programme to create corridors for hedgehogs to move through the campus. In the entire history of the university, this hadn't even been suggested, let alone done. It was entirely her own idea.

Why make such sweeping statements? You actually do a disservice to yourself, because I know from your many posts what a knowledgeable and intelligent birder/person you are.

Malcolm

Well, John, my daughter is a "media studies graduate". During her time at university she set up a programme to create corridors for hedgehogs to move through the campus. In the entire history of the university, this hadn't even been suggested, let alone done. It was entirely her own idea.

Why make such sweeping statements? You actually do a disservice to yourself, because I know from your many posts what a knowledgeable and intelligent birder/person you are.

Malcolm
Because I have a flippant side. Of course you can identify exceptions but the world runs on cliches and stereotypes and both kinds of generalisations exist for reasons, including the opportunity to take a humorous pop at them (viz Douglas Adams's spaceborne travelling awards party in Hitch-hiker's Guide - "good luck, win awards").

What was organised to ensure your daughter's legacy into the future?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back