• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Quest Continues. (2 Viewers)

I am moving forward with my quest to photograph garden birds in flight, instead of just having them sitting on a perch. I have recently bought a new remote sensor system. It is a LiDAR sensor from Cognisys, called the Sabre. It is fairly expensive, but great. It is similar to radar, but uses an infrared beam instead of a radio signal. it is much better than a PIR sensor. It does not need a separate receiver unit and importantly, it is not affected by changes in light or foliage moving in the background.
Something I find really useful is the ability to set up a “window” to restrict the area where the signal triggers the camera. It also has a narrow beam. I have already worked out a method of setting it up which only takes a couple of minutes and early results are very promising.
The most limiting thing at the moment is a distinct lack of birds. With lots of natural food around at the moment, I am getting fewer birds at the feeders and those that do come have little need to queue.
If I can refine my technique by winter, I hope to really capitalise on the method once the usual visitors return.
Until then, I will have to make do with my resident blackbirds and starlings. Mind you, when they oblige like this blackbird, then I really don’t mind.
IMG_3198.jpeg

Your flight photos show so much detail (and what a nice bokeh!) that you could score moults based on them. Do you know Species Files – Guia Blasco Zumeta de Aves ? The file for Blackbird is attached below (although Blackbird in particular looks pretty tough to tell for me personally because of all the shades of brown).

Attachments

• 11870_Turdus_merula_E.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
Your flight photos show so much detail (and what a nice bokeh!) that you could score moults based on them. Do you know Species Files – Guia Blasco Zumeta de Aves ? The file for Blackbird is attached below (although Blackbird in particular looks pretty tough to tell for me personally because of all the shades of brown).
I have looked at the file and like you, I find it difficult to really tell whether my photo is of a juvenile male or a female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back