• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush - Cove Lake SP Northeast Tennessee (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
Let's play name that Thrush. From Oct 2 & 3 2023 - Wooded area. Swainson's Thrush and Wood Thrush have been in this area this summer and personally verified by call as well as sightings. Recently Gray Cheeked Thrush have been reported though and I'm just not sure about these. They were not calling, which would have helped. Numerous American Robin also present in same area.

Thanks for the helpNT4A3611.pngNT4A3699.pngWood Thrush.pngNT4A3575.pngNT4A3611.pngNT4A3699.pngWood Thrush.pngNT4A3575.png

They all (as best we can see) have medium brownish-grey plumage, moderately strong breast spots, and rather strong eye rings.

We can immediately rule out wood thrush and veery by color and breast spots. I think grey-cheeked is unlikely due to strong eye ring. I don't see any hints of color in the tail or wing that would support Hermit, but I do see a bit of buffiness in the face in at least one photo, so ...

#1 can't really see much that's diagnostic - face is a little blurry and wings and tail are in shadow. Eye ring is bright - but is it white or is it buffy? Could be Hermit or Swainson's.

#2 could be a trick of the light, but that eye ring and face look buffy to me. And we can see the wings well and the edge of the tail, so if it were Hermit we should see some color there. I'm thinking Swainson's.

#3 perched bird - this is a hard one. Strong eye ring, I don't see buffiness but it's in shadow. Hermit, but with low confidence.
#3 Flying bird - Aves sp., looks about the right size for a thrush.

#4 can see neither the face nor the tail. Hermit/swainson's/grey-cheeked/bicknell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back