• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

thrush help (1 Viewer)

mdmoshier2

I saw this bird (I think it is the same one) at High Island, TX 7 weeks ago. I and trying to figure out what thrush it is. I am vasolating between a grey-cheeked and hermit. any help is appreciated. sorry for the pictures, /it was in deep brush on a dark day.

_Q2A6554.jpg_Q2A6561.jpg_Q2A6563.jpg

Grey-cheeked Thrush for me, eye-ring looks fairly muted, much more so than yer average Swainson’s.

Cheers

Grey-cheeked Thrush for me, eye-ring looks fairly muted, much more so than yer average Swainson’s.

Cheers
I think there are at least 2 birds here. None show a rufous tail [although we can't see the tail of 563]. The first image (554) shows no buffy lores or eye ring. The other 2 do have this so I think they must be Swainson's and the first grey-cheeked.

I suppose Veery is excluded for the first bird on the basis of color (being not warm enough)?

ETA: I think it may well be a muted photo of a Veery. Attached is an edited copy, but I may have mucked up the settings (not sure how to make it most true-to-life)

Attachments

• _Q2A6554.jpg
    _Q2A6554.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that 561 and 563 are the same bird - the breast spots seem to match. I'm not certain about whether 554 is a different bird ... lighting and angle can have pretty strong effects on visibilty of lores and eye-ring, but there is that seven-frame gap in time, and if I saw 561 or 563 by itself, I'd say Swainson's whereas for 554 by itself I'd say grey-cheeked.

Indobirder, your edit is far too red/purple. Look at the pale part of the bark the bird is perched on.

edit is far too red/purple. Look at the pale part of the bark
A slight pinkish tint to a bit of branch might not be out of court - but big strongly-pinkish patches on the tail-tip of a Catharus thrush definitely are. The colour balance of the original doesn't give me any reason to doubt that it's ± correct as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back