• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush Nightingale? (1 Viewer)

cinusluca01

United States
Hi everyone, Question. By any chance does anyone know what this bird call is to anyone in Europe or knows the sound? Im in Tuscany, Italy right now. I was not familiar with this sound so I checked with a group chat and a friend who has previously visited Europe got back to me and thinks its a Thrush Nightingale. Here are some sound recordings I took of this bird.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2023-07-01 1623.wav
    1.1 MB
  • 2023-07-01 1623 2.wav
    553.9 KB
Can they be reliably told apart by call? From what I understand, the difference would be (if at all) an upslurred slash versus an upside down U?

What I could gather from an FB post some time back was that W European Commons have an upslurred whistle, while Commons from Italy eastwards and Thrush Nightingales have flat ones (possible vocal introgression).

Can they be reliably told apart by call? From what I understand, the difference would be (if at all) an upslurred slash versus an upside down U?
I would say yes. Both Nightingales occur in my area and I feel very confident to tell them apart by call. Besides shape in spectrogram the calls of Thrush Nightingale are slightly higher pitched and sound more piercing... A lot like Phylloscopus collybita tristis calls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back