• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tit, Norfolk UK (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Hi all, any advice on how to ID this tit from Cockley Cley in Norfolk today? My understanding is both Willow and Marsh coexist here

Attachments

• P1440559 (2).JPG
    P1440559 (2).JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 94
  • P1440560 (2).JPG
    P1440560 (2).JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 94
I like to check the wings for a panel to distinguish them but in the absence of a shot of the wings, the overall shape of the bird looks much better for Marsh. Willow's are generally stockier with a bigger head and neck.

Are there even any Willow Tits left in Norfolk? They are now missing in so many counties, and on the edge in even more, including here in Hampshire, I was surprised to think that they were still a possibility.

Yes, one or two pairs in that area. A local birder has programmed a nestbox scheme to help this species even though they are prone to eviction by Marsh Tits and predation by GSW.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back