• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too windy for scope? (1 Viewer)

Jeff51

Supporter
United States
Advice appreciated. In open wind prone wetland, winds of 8 mph gusting to 18mph - I’ve got an 88mm scope with a benro Mach 3 tripod. Would one expect a lot of wind vibration in that setup or should it be ok?` Thanks, Jeff

Advice appreciated. In open wind prone wetland, winds of 8 mph gusting to 18mph - I’ve got an 88mm scope with a benro Mach 3 tripod. Would one expect a lot of wind vibration in that setup or should it be ok?` Thanks, Jeff
I'd be more worried about the scope, blowing over which I've seen happen, numerous times, the reason I used to have my scope wrapped in bubblewrap, inside the case.

Wind vibrations are often a problem with scopes. A good tripod helps (the heavier the better). Also a good solution is to set up your tripod as low as possible and sit kneeling or with a walkstool behind it. And if possible, stand in the shelter of an object such as your car, a tree or some shrubs.

One thing I have always done is attach a Dyneema climbing long sling (long loop) c8mm thick, with a small Karabiner to the tripod. with a "Hitch" tied too other end which slips around ones wrist. You can operate the scope / tripod as normal with the added protection of being able to react to a falling tripod.
It acts like a rein and can be "halved & quartered " with a hitch for storage dangling from tripod for carrying/ storing.
Also at a pinch can be used to tie to an object- tree/ post / bag etc for extra stability.
hope this tip helps.

See this recent thread: Stability in wind

I don't find the windspeeds you mention much of a problem, but higher ones can be.
Thanks. The wind speed question is really the advice I was looking for. In past visits to this wetland the wind blew hard enough so the tripod and scope vibrated enough to be generally unusable. But I didn’t check wind speed. Forecast for a planned visit day was 16 mph gusts and I wondered if that might get the scope shaking again.

Thanks. The wind speed question is really the advice I was looking for. In past visits to this wetland the wind blew hard enough so the tripod and scope vibrated enough to be generally unusable. But I didn’t check wind speed. Forecast for a planned visit day was 16 mph gusts and I wondered if that might get the scope shaking again.
That is a light breeze gusting, and should not be a problem. But weighing the tripod down puts a little more stress on the legs and dampens vibrations.

Hi,

weighting down the tripod in windy conditions helps a lot. Ideally the bag should be only partly suspended so it will not be swinging back and forth...
Another quick way to do it is to let one shoulder strap of a backpack slide down the opened tripod legs and adjust it that it resides around halfway down... just remember to take off the backpack before closing the tripod legs ;-)

Joachim

If your viewing point has a clear line of sight to your wetland habitat (not blocked by bushes, shrubs, long grass, etc.) set the tripod legs lower and if necessary sit down.
This is how I set my tripod for sea watching

Users who are viewing this thread

Back