• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tract Toric 10x50 UHD HT impressions. (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
WOW. Seriously? How can these be $700 glass? If you handed them to me and they were in a bag with the end cut out so I can't see what they are, I'd guess something that cost $1500 or more. No bullshit. The views are that good. Today is a dark and rainy day, and these things offer nice bright views with great colors and contrast. Looking across the street, and under a big tree with lots of hanging branches, I can see all the detail in the tree bark. I saw a squirrel filling his cheeks with nuts. I could easily see his whiskers even in the shady area under the branches.

A tad heavy, but they balance nicely and with the way I hold binoculars, I am able to hold them pretty still. Nice feel to the rubber armor. I like the gray. It's darker that it looks in my photos. They didn't come with a case, but I don't care. I have a closet full of cases, and a couple of them fit these quite well. The focuser is perfect. I could not improve on it. The sweet spot is huge, with just the slightest out of focus are around the edge. Viewing my test sign at 50 yards that has both large and small print. I'd guess 90% of the field is spot on in focus. Eye relief of perfect for me with the cups all the way out. I do not wear glasses.

I can't wait for a sunny day to take them out for a real test drive.

As I proofread this, I sound like some sort of paid shill for Tract. I am not. I'm just amazed at how good these are. These have the magic.
NMBANhQ.jpg

jJIJ6oN.jpg

Always wondered how the 10X50 and 12.5X50 would perform for astro. The price is lower than Maven. The 10X42 is a very good performer day or night, not so much the 8X42 with a more narrow APOV. Some more insight here and on CN about these I think would increase info for another option in the 10/12X50 format.

Pinpoint stars. Wonderful view of the moon. From my suburban yard, I can see a nice black background, with many stars. Not the best environment for a review of the nighttime performance. But I'm impressed so far.

I re
WOW. Seriously? How can these be $700 glass? If you handed them to me and they were in a bag with the end cut out so I can't see what they are, I'd guess something that cost $1500 or more. No bullshit. The views are that good. Today is a dark and rainy day, and these things offer nice bright views with great colors and contrast. Looking across the street, and under a big tree with lots of hanging branches, I can see all the detail in the tree bark. I saw a squirrel filling his cheeks with nuts. I could easily see his whiskers even in the shady area under the branches.

A tad heavy, but they balance nicely and with the way I hold binoculars, I am able to hold them pretty still. Nice feel to the rubber armor. I like the gray. It's darker that it looks in my photos. They didn't come with a case, but I don't care. I have a closet full of cases, and a couple of them fit these quite well. The focuser is perfect. I could not improve on it. The sweet spot is huge, with just the slightest out of focus are around the edge. Viewing my test sign at 50 yards that has both large and small print. I'd guess 90% of the field is spot on in focus. Eye relief of perfect for me with the cups all the way out. I do not wear glasses.

I can't wait for a sunny day to take them out for a real test drive.

As I proofread this, I sound like some sort of paid shill for Tract. I am not. I'm just amazed at how good these are. These have the magic.
NMBANhQ.jpg

jJIJ6oN.jpg
I read your other thread on the Steiner binoculars. I have 7x50 Rally, 12x40 Predator Pro, 8x30 Amazon special, and NIB 8x30 Predator Pro AF binoculars. I was hooked on the auto focus feature when my dad and I first purchased our 7x50’s from the BX catalog many years ago. I’ve never owned a pair of roof prism binoculars and am wondering if they’ll be an upgrade to the Steiners. I’m thinking of buying a 10x42 pair and have read reviews on the Optika, Meopro, Zeiss Conquest, Vanguard Endeavor IV, Opticron Verano, GPO Passion HD, etc. I own a couple of Meopta Meopro scopes and the glass is pretty clear. The Tracts have received some pretty good reviews on the hunting forums and their price is pretty reasonable for Japanese-made binoculars. Have you by chance had an opportunity to compare the Tracts to the Steiners and any of the binoculars I mentioned? Light gathering is important and supposedly the Tracts excel in that area with the Schott glass. I’d also like to experience the pop and depth that members have mentioned in higher quality binoculars. Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'n not very good at technical comparisons, but the Toric is brighter, even with it's higher magnification, than the Steiner 7x50 M+M. The views on the Steiner M+M don't seem as wide, even though they both spec out at 305 feet @ 1000 yards, and while it does provide nice sharp images, the Toric is more immersive. The views are up front and in my face more, if that makes any sense. And they definitely have that pop factor. While I no longer own expensive Swaros, I don't think you lose much with these. If you can, buy them on Amazon. If you don't like them, you have 30 days to return them with no shipping charge to do so. But I would bet money that you would keep them.

Last edited:
I’m probably going to have to narrow it down to three pairs, and Amazon is probably the place to order from because of their no-hassle return policy. Tract is definitely in the running. I’ve been experiencing FOMO from using the Steiners for so long and am looking forward to looking through some different glass. However, I’m going to have to get used to focus wheel because I’ve been spoiled by the AF feature of the Steiners. I appreciate the reply and have a good evening.

I still haven’t decided. I was going to order a pair of 10x42 Meopta Optikas, but the rather narrow field of view and comments of a halo effect made them a no go. The Black Friday deals were rather disappointing, so I’m going to wait until this spring and save up for something better along the lines lines of a Conquest HD. Cheers!

You will be happy with those. Some reviews say that the focus wheel is very sensitive. Which can be a good or a bad thing.
I’m going on a trip and will be taking the 8x30 and 12x40 Steiners. The inexpensive black Amazon special Steiners are the best of all my four Steiners. I’m going to get rid of the 8x30 and 12x40 AF Predator Pros and put the money toward some quality 10x42 roof prisms.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back