• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treguennec, SW Brittany (1 Viewer)

Anon2020

I’m spending two weeks here and today spotted six Bee Eaters near the Chapelle de St Vio.

Also nearby some Cattle Egrets keeping a small herd of Water Buffalo (being reared for their milk used to make Mozzarella) company.

This is a great birding locality - reed bed nature reserve with bearded tits, great egrets, purple heron. Not far away is a tidal estuary with mud flats where, depending on time of year, you can observe spoonbills, avocets etc.

Finally, lots of fresh shellfish to eat.

thanks for sharing, sounds interesting.
As a photographer I am interested if there are hides in the area, or possibilities for shots at close?
greetings, henk

I’ve been holidaying in this area for many years as my family originates here but have not seen any hides. The avocets and spoonbills don’t appear to be too bothered by human activity but egrets and bee-eaters don’t allow people to get too close.

I don’t take photos myself but have seen birders in the area carrying long lenses.

I would suggest the best times to visit would be April/May for summer visitors and October/November for winter migrants.

I believe the Spoonbills may sometimes be resident all year.

It’s also a great area for walks snd cycling + old churches and megaliths.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back