• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treron pompadora ada Meise, 1930 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Treron pompadora ada Meise, 1930 OD here
No dedication? Therefore no idea why Ada Geertsema? I would have searched Ada in the environment of Meise or Victor von Plessen.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Pompadour Green Pigeon ssp. Treron pompadora ada Meise, 1930 NCR; NRM
Miss Ada Geertsema (DNF) was the sister of Lieutentant-Colonel Coen Geertsema, a military aide to Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands.

The Key to Scientific Names
Ada Geertsema (fl. 1930) sister to Lt.-Col. Coen Geertsema, military aide to Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (syn. Treron aromaticus).

If I read here:
In Dresden heiratete er 1930 seine Frau Eva; dort wurden dem Ehepaar seine drei Kinder geboren.

Is there a child called Ada maybe born 1930? See also what was discussed here and here.

Attachments

• bf01916291.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
If I read here I would exclude von Plessens wife or daughters (even if I don't know the name of the second daughter). His oldest daughter seems to be Victoria Baronin von Plessen. His wife Marie-Izabel Freiin von Jenisch (1906-1971).

But I still see no link to Coen Geertsema and/or his sister.

Major Carel Coenraad Geertsema (June 19, 1907 in Groningen - February 18, 1980 in Soestdijk, 3761, Nederland)

was a member of the Dutch Royal Household for most of his career. He was also an active collector of birds with multiple references to membership online. I surmise that he was acquainted with Meise and von Plessen through membership in the D O-G and he may have facilitated von Plessen in his collecting in the Dutch East Indies.

His sister was Aleida Sybilla Sara Geertsema 1900-1975 who married Binnert Philip van Harinxma thoe Slooten

Thus the name honours Aleida (Ada) Sybilla Sara van Harinxma thoe Slooten (nee Geertsema) 1900-1975

Last edited:
Even if correct I still do not see the obvious link to the intention of the name. That would mean Geertsema suggested his sister as dedicatee? Why didn't Meise honor Carel Coenraad Geertsema but instead to his sister?

Even in the first part no Geertsema (or his sister) is mentioned:
Wilhelm Meise: Die Vögel von Djampea und benachbarten Inseln nach einer Sammlung Baron Plessens. In: Journal für Ornithologie. Vol 77(8), 1929, S. 431–480

For me no clear evidence that ada is named for her. But that's just my opinion.

If I read here I would exclude von Plessens wife or daughters (even if I don't know the name of the second daughter). His oldest daughter seems to be Victoria Baronin von Plessen. His wife Marie-Izabel Freiin von Jenisch (1906-1971).

As Victor Baron von Plessen (1900–1980) married Marie Izabel Freiin von Jenisch (1906–1971), on the 1st of December 1934, I'd be surprised if any of their kids had anything to do with Treron pompadora ada Meise, 1930. Note that their eldest/first-born kid/daughter was born in 1937. I'd look for the etymology elsewhere.

Ad(a) libri ;)

/B

Last edited:
And, by the way, something looks odd in today's Key:

It seems like the Death year of Victor Baron von Plessen somehow have ended up on the Baronin as well ... ?

Compare the entries below [my blue bolds]:
plesseni
Victor Baron von Plessen (1900-1980) German ornithologist, explorer, film-maker in the Dutch East Indies 1924-1938 (syn. Collocalia linchi, syn. Gerygone sulphurea, Ninox, syn. Philemon buceroides neglectus, syn. Pitta elegans virginalis.

plessenorum
Victor Baron von Plessen (1900-1980) German ornithologist and his wife Marie-Izabel von Jenisch Baronin von Plessen (1906-1980) (syn. Porphyrio poliocephalus melanopterus).​

hutzi
Marie-Izabel Hutz Freifrau von Jenisch Baronin von Plessen (1906-1980) wife of German ornithologist Victor Baron von Plessen (subsp. Pitta elegans, subsp. Pycnonotus plumosus).​

mariae
[...]
• Marie-Izabel Ottonia von Jenisch Baronin von Plessen (1906-1971) wife of German ornithologist Victor Baron von Plessen (syn. Dicaeum maugei neglectum).
[...]
:oops:

What's the true story?

This far, to me, it looks like Marie Izabel [alt. Isabel] Freifrau [alt. Freiin, pre-1934] von Jenisch [and, post-1934] Baronin von Plessen (19061971) ought to be a more correct version.

But what about; the "Hutz", and "Ottonia" parts ... ? :unsure:

Björn

Last edited:
Re. hutzi as in:
• the (Borneo) Olive-winged Bulbul ssp. Pycnonotus plumosus hutzi STRESEMANN 1938 (note; full OD unseen by me, in Temminckia 3, p.128, all in German; Google Snippet view here):
In der Färbung wie. P. pl. insularis Chasen & Kloss (1929) von Banguey Island, Brit. North Borneo, also unterseits heller, graulicher, besonders in der Mitte des Unterkörpers nicht so stark bräunlich verwaschen wie P. p . plumosus Blyth von der Malayischen Halbinsel, und von insularis nur durch geringere Grösse ...
... but unfortunately that's all I could get from the Google view/s (i.e. nothing about the/any dedicatee).

• the Ornate Pitta ssp. Pitta concinna hutzi MEISE 1941 (here, all in German, OD on p.359 , alt. 15 of 32, in the screen viewer), as "Pitta versicolor hutzi" ... no dedication, no explanation, nothing (at least not that I can spot, not knowing German ;)).

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds (2014), here, tells us:
... The name hutzi appears to be from Hütz, which may have been her nickname. ...

Thus, originating from "Hutz" or "Hütz", nick-name or not, included in her true (original) name, or not ...?!?

Or
, was there possibly [note the masculine ending (-i)], plausibly a Mr Hutz (alt. Hütz) involved?

I'm both puzzled, and bewildered ... :unsure:

/B

Last edited:
• the (Borneo) Olive-winged Bulbul ssp. Pycnonotus plumosus hutzi STRESEMANN 1938 (OD unseen by me; Temminckia 3 , p.128, in German; Google Snippet view here):
... but unfortunately that's all I could get from the Google view/s (i.e. nothing about the/any dedicatee).

There is a dedication on p. 129, e.g.: Temminckia
The full text reads :

Pycnonotus plumosus hutzi nov. subspec.​
Radang 1 ♂ ; Boeloegan 2 ; Peleben 1 ♂ ad., 1 ♂ juv., 1 ad. -- Flügel ♂ ad.: 81, 82; ad. 78, 81, 84; ♂ juv. 77 mm -- Iris braunrot, rot, dunkelrot.
In der Färbung wie P. pl. insularis Chasen & Kloss (1929) von BangueyIsland, Brit. North Borneo, also unterseits heller, graulicher, besonders in der Mitte des Unterkörpers nicht so stark bräunlich verwaschen wie P. p. plumosus Blyth von der Malayischen Halbinsel, und von insularis nur durch geringere Grösse unterschieden. Flügel:
hutzi 78-84; ♂ (77) 81-82 mm.
insularis 86-88; ♂ 87-90 mm.

Den von Chasen (J. Orn. 1929, II, p. 115) veröffentlichten Massen nach zu urteilen stehen Exemplare vom Festland von Brit. Nord-Borneo in der Grösse zwischen echten insularis von Banguey Isl. und hutzi, mit ihrer Flügellänge von: 79-85 , ♂ 84-86 mm.
Typus im Zool. Mus. Berlin : Nr. 37.204, Peleben, 10. August 1935, V. v. Plessen leg. Nr. 292.
Benannt zu Ehren von Baronin Marie-Isabel von Plessen, deren unverdrossenem Eifer die Reichhaltigkeit der ornithologischen Ausbeute dieser Expedition zu einem wesentlichen Teil zu danken ist.
[Am Kajan 600 m hoch : Finsch 1905, p. 89].

Last edited:
Victor Friedrich August, Baron von Scheel-Plessen 1900–1980

Wife

Marie-Izabel Ottonia Rücker, Baroness von Jenisch 1906–1971

What makes the -i ending a Latin genitive, actually ?
It makes no reals sense grammatically, and -i is also a diminutive suffix in German, used i.a. to create are affectionate nicknames, which can be feminine -- e.g., Schnucki, Schatzi, Mausi, Hasi...
Maybe her nickname was Hutzi ?

(Could this be an affectionate way to call someone inclined to quarrel ? Or, perhaps, to tease ?)

Last edited:
Even more names (and expanded Noble titles) are included (for her husband) in the following text:
Victor Friedrich August Helmond baron von Scheel von Plessen til [to/of] Wahlstorf [Parents] was born on 23 Oct 1900. He died on 16 Dec 1980. He married Marie Izabel Ottonia baronesse von Jenisch on 1 Dec 1934. Victor was employed as Godsejer [Land owner/Gentleman farmer], Forskningsrejsende [Research traveler/explorer] in Wahlstorf, Preetz, Schleswig-Holstein.

Marie Izabel Ottonia baronesse von Jenisch [Parents] was born on 7 May 1906. She died on 30 Jan 1970. She married Victor Friedrich August Helmond baron von Scheel von Plessen til Wahlstorf on 1 Dec 1934.

They had the following children:

F
i​
Victoria-Louise Thyra Marguerrite Magda Wilhelmine baronesse Scheel von Plessen was born on 26 May 1937.
F
ii​
Marina Elisabeth Ursula baronesse Scheel von Plessen was born on 19 Aug 1940.
M
iii​
Victor Friederich-Carl baron Scheel von Plessen til Selsø, Lindholm & Bognæs was born on 28 May 1942. Victor was employed as Godsejer in Lindholm Gods, Roskilde.

[all according to here]

Though, of course, other sources does claim that dear "Hutz" died 30 January 1971 (like here, or in the first link in Martin's post #2, as well as in Laurent's post/link in #9, and Paul's post #10). Thereby take the Danish (alt. English-Danish) quote above for what it's worth ... I assume that German texts ought to be more correct. :unsure:

Either way, this far (without having seen any official documents/records), I'd say that the Scientific name hutzi was/is aimed at: Marie 'Hutz' Izabel Ottonia (also by the surname Rücker?) Freifrau [alt. Freiin, pre-1934] von Jenisch [and, post-1934] Baronin [alt. Baronesse] von Plessen (19061971).

Anyone who think otherwise?

/B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back