• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troubador's life with Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
The first binos I can well remember as a young lad (with acknowledgement to ‘Black Beauty’ by Anna Sewell) are the 8x30 ex-army Kershaws my father inherited from my grandfather. I didn’t know what they were at the time and when they came to me following my father’s passing I found their individual eyepiece focussing awkward to use when watching wildlife so this prompted me and Troubadoris to try out more modern porro binos with centre focussing namely Swift’s Audubon and Saratoga.

These were a revelation to us with smooth and convenient focusing and excellent optics. Note that I do not analyse the view through binos as I am only concerned with whether they can deliver useful and enjoyable views of nature and these Swifts surely did this, but they had one disadvantage: they were huge. In their cases the two of them more or less filled one of the two pannier cases that were our sole means of carrying luggage on the BMW motorcycle that was our transport at the time.

It was around this time in the early1970’s that we discovered roof prism binos with their slim optical tubes and Troubadoris opted for Leica Trinovids in 8x40 bought from Metwood Accessories whereas I was seduced by Zeiss’s Dialyt BGA from Focus Optics in 10x40, mainly on the basis that binos were about magnification and 10x seemed like the way to go and a glowing review by John Gooders the respected editor of Birds of the World that the Dialyt was a fine choice convinced me.

In some ways this was an ill-informed decision and over the next few years, and after owning a Swarovski 8.5x42 for several of them, I came to appreciate there is more to binoculars than simply magnification, qualities such as the field of view, depth of focus and steadiness of the image that lower magnifications deliver, and I eventually went the whole hog and switched to a Zeiss 8x42 FL and later an HT 8x42 and have never regretted it. I should emphasise here that I am a nature observer not a twitcher focussed on collecting new species so have never felt compelled to use higher magnifications routinely although I do use these to view long distances from our rental cottages on holidays in the west of Scotland.

One feature I find really useful is a short distance close-focus capability which allows easy close views without the need to kneel down and so trample the habitat. I use this to get closer looks at objects not only of insects but of organisms in rock pools, on rocky crags and cliff edges. In addition, in habitats rich with new species a bino with a faster focus speed can be really helpful.

In more recent times I have discovered that 32mm binos are perfectly adequate for my needs and so Zeiss’s SF8x32 is my main instrument now supported by Zeiss’s fast-focusing Conquest HD 8x32.

Lee

I also started with an individual focus binocular. My Dad's Horizon 7x50. Big ungainly thing al;most made me swear off binoculars. However I still have it. I even took it apart, cleaned it and replaced the prisms. Finally wound up with a Swifr 8x40 Nighthawk in my college days. One thing led to another and here I am with more binoculars than I can count. Like you I am more of an observer of my surroundings more than I am a dedicated birder. However birds are always present in the outdoors so they get a lot of attention.

It is good to see you home from the hoispital and feeling up to posting something again. Stay well.

Cheers!

Hello Lee,

I am happy to read a new post from you!

My first binocular was a 6x30 US Army EE Signal Corps IF binocular, made in 1917 by Bausch & Lomb. I used it for a variety of hum drum activities. My next binocular was a 7x50 Leitz Marseptit, which was used for very casual astronomy when I lived with a very nice southerly view. Over the years, I added military or marine 7x50 glasses to the stable. When I moved to Manhattan, I started bird watching but only in Central Park. After a couple of 8x Nikon Porro binoculars, I moved to roof binoculars, from7x42, ti 8x32 to 8x40, excluding two experiments with 10x, which I found unusable.
For almost twenty years, I have used 8x30/32 roof binoculars for most of my bird watching: Leica 8x32BN, Zeiss Dialyt 8x30, a Zen-Ray 8x32, but for almost seventeen years, the Zeiss 8x32 FL was my standard, only to replaced three months ago, by the Zeiss SF 8x32. I have to thank you for your recommendation of the SF, a very fine glass.

Thank you and stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
I also started with an individual focus binocular. My Dad's Horizon 7x50. Big ungainly thing al;most made me swear off binoculars. However I still have it. I even took it apart, cleaned it and replaced the prisms. Finally wound up with a Swifr 8x40 Nighthawk in my college days. One thing led to another and here I am with more binoculars than I can count.
Are you the one whose house is suffering structural damage?

My parents got some zeiss jena 10x50W when we were on a school holiday in Cornwall – watched some badgers in the twilight (l still love the smell of the case). My first pair were some 15x70 as I was more astro inclined in those days. Then some 12x canon stabilised which still work fine and saw good use. Then these forums took their toll and identified all sorts of niches for specific specifications that “needed” filling…. Including the joys of old wide angle porros.
I now have rather more pairs, but 8x30 are the ones that are first out the door, lightweight and wide angle… I could spend all day looking through them.
I am sure one day I will more fully embrace roof prisms, most of mine are porros, I should do more weight training to help make them easier to use ;-)

Peter

Are you the one whose house is suffering structural damage?
hahaha, no, that was a tease at @chill6x6 :)

I started with old Tascos, then a pair of little Trinovid 8x20 for hiking and finally Trinovid 8x32's. I had used Leica M cameras in 80's, so I always had a sweet spot for their design and glass.

BTW, @Troubador, what BMW did you own? I've had a few and only this past month finally sold my last bike, a1975 R75/6 which I will sorely miss.

Last edited:
hahaha, no, that was a tease at @chill6x6 :)

I started with old Tascos, then a pair of little Trinovid 8x20 for hiking and finally Trinovid 8x32's. I had used Leica M cameras in 80's, so I always had a sweet spot for their design and glass.

BTW, @Troubador, what BMW didyou own? I've had a few and only this past month finally sold my last bike, a1975 R75/6 which I will sorely miss.
R60/6 in green, then an R90/5 in black, awesome but the R60 was sweeter.

The first binos I can well remember as a young lad (with acknowledgement to ‘Black Beauty’ by Anna Sewell) are the 8x30 ex-army Kershaws my father inherited from my grandfather. I didn’t know what they were at the time and when they came to me following my father’s passing I found their individual eyepiece focussing awkward to use when watching wildlife so this prompted me and Troubadoris to try out more modern porro binos with centre focussing namely Swift’s Audubon and Saratoga.

These were a revelation to us with smooth and convenient focusing and excellent optics. Note that I do not analyse the view through binos as I am only concerned with whether they can deliver useful and enjoyable views of nature and these Swifts surely did this, but they had one disadvantage: they were huge. In their cases the two of them more or less filled one of the two pannier cases that were our sole means of carrying luggage on the BMW motorcycle that was our transport at the time.

It was around this time in the early1970’s that we discovered roof prism binos with their slim optical tubes and Troubadoris opted for Leica Trinovids in 8x40 bought from Metwood Accessories whereas I was seduced by Zeiss’s Dialyt BGA from Focus Optics in 10x40, mainly on the basis that binos were about magnification and 10x seemed like the way to go and a glowing review by John Gooders the respected editor of Birds of the World that the Dialyt was a fine choice convinced me.

In some ways this was an ill-informed decision and over the next few years, and after owning a Swarovski 8.5x42 for several of them, I came to appreciate there is more to binoculars than simply magnification, qualities such as the field of view, depth of focus and steadiness of the image that lower magnifications deliver, and I eventually went the whole hog and switched to a Zeiss 8x42 FL and later an HT 8x42 and have never regretted it. I should emphasise here that I am a nature observer not a twitcher focussed on collecting new species so have never felt compelled to use higher magnifications routinely although I do use these to view long distances from our rental cottages on holidays in the west of Scotland.

One feature I find really useful is a short distance close-focus capability which allows easy close views without the need to kneel down and so trample the habitat. I use this to get closer looks at objects not only of insects but of organisms in rock pools, on rocky crags and cliff edges. In addition, in habitats rich with new species a bino with a faster focus speed can be really helpful.

In more recent times I have discovered that 32mm binos are perfectly adequate for my needs and so Zeiss’s SF8x32 is my main instrument now supported by Zeiss’s fast-focusing Conquest HD 8x32.

Lee
I too have had the SF 8x32 for over 3 years now and they have been an absolute joy with each use. The fast focusing of this instrument has helped me ID a bird just in time when it was about to fly away countless times. I am able to catch fleeting moments whereas my companion misses it (she uses a Swaro 8x32)--I sound like making an ad, but those fleeting moments are just very crucial and the fact that I am able to get that view and someone else misses due to 'minuscule lags' in rotations...it's like this is where two otherwise equal instruments (in essence) set one another apart.

I am curious though why you have a Conquest HD 8x32 as a support? Like why not 10x32?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back