• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turkey August 2022 (1 Viewer)

Petri

Turkey is so not Europe.... It should be in 'Middle East'.

Anyway, few pieces of information which I recently discovered, while driving 3.500 km around East Turkey, 15th to 23rd August:

• Motel Mirkelam (Birecik) is closed, perhaps for good? There are no other reasonable options in Birecik. In Nizip (18 km W), there is Beger Otel, otherwise good but with an underpowered ac & fridge and some sticky (nicotine) surfaces.
  • Cesme Pansiyon, Nemrut Dagi, is in ruins. Stayed at Euphrat Hotel. Power on/off, had to give up dinner after 2 hours of waiting...
  • For Göksu Delta, Hotel Göksu (Silifke) was more peaceful than Tasucu options and not crowded.
  • Cukurova Suit Hotel, Osmaniye, is recommended, just like Hotel Eden's at Van. In Muradiye, Hotel Gokdem Royal was closed.
  • Iraq Babblers were plentiful at Birecik Northern Gravel Pits, with interesting mating behavior.
  • See-see Partridges were best seen at Ugurcuk (N Birecik).
  • At Ceylanpinar, 8 Red-wattled Lapwings were easily located at Altinbasak Creek (just below the first village, on the right, along the tarmac road to extensive agricultural lands).
  • Mongolian Finches were seen at 1.5 km S of Ishak Pasa Sarayi (2), at Gülizar (2.600 m pass location S of Dogubayazit; 5 birds) and at Serpmetas Lava Fields site (2). At Gülizar I managed to see other goodies, too, such as Grey-necked Bunting, before being questioned and ordered to leave by military. At Serpmetas I parked my car so that it could not be seen by others and was left in peace. Saw a fine (Indian) Grey Wolf while approaching Caldiran.
  • No security problems, except traffic on the Tacusu-Gazipasa-Alanya coast, a very unattractive tourist trap region.

Turkey is so not Europe.... It should be in 'Middle East'.

Anyway, few pieces of information which I recently discovered, while driving 3.500 km around East Turkey, 15th to 23rd August:

• Motel Mirkelam (Birecik) is closed, perhaps for good? There are no other reasonable options in Birecik. In Nizip (18 km W), there is Beger Otel, otherwise good but with an underpowered ac & fridge and some sticky (nicotine) surfaces.
  • Cesme Pansiyon, Nemrut Dagi, is in ruins. Stayed at Euphrat Hotel. Power on/off, had to give up dinner after 2 hours of waiting...
  • For Göksu Delta, Hotel Göksu (Silifke) was more peaceful than Tasucu options and not crowded.
  • Cukurova Suit Hotel, Osmaniye, is recommended, just like Hotel Eden's at Van. In Muradiye, Hotel Gokdem Royal was closed.
  • Iraq Babblers were plentiful at Birecik Northern Gravel Pits, with interesting mating behavior.
  • See-see Partridges were best seen at Ugurcuk (N Birecik).
  • At Ceylanpinar, 8 Red-wattled Lapwings were easily located at Altinbasak Creek (just below the first village, on the right, along the tarmac road to extensive agricultural lands).
  • Mongolian Finches were seen at 1.5 km S of Ishak Pasa Sarayi (2), at Gülizar (2.600 m pass location S of Dogubayazit; 5 birds) and at Serpmetas Lava Fields site (2). At Gülizar I managed to see other goodies, too, such as Grey-necked Bunting, before being questioned and ordered to leave by military. At Serpmetas I parked my car so that it could not be seen by others and was left in peace. Saw a fine (Indian) Grey Wolf while approaching Caldiran.
  • No security problems, except traffic on the Tacusu-Gazipasa-Alanya coast, a very unattractive tourist trap region.

Well, there was a setback. Soon after the visit, my bank informed that my credit card details were in the hands of some Russian swindlers. I had only used the card five times: at Europcar Gazipasa, at Gazipasa Airport ATM, at a gas station further east and twice at MM Migros, Silifke. Crime is rife in package tourism locations. Fortunately, the thieves failed. I did not lose money, just a card, which was replaced in a week.

Money was bit a problem down in Turkey. I had it difficult to exchange cash euros, in a legal, trustworthy way. For example, post offices turned me down. Also at Ziraat Bankasi, I was initially told that I needed an account there to get the service. Not accepting another refusal at that point, I persuaded a bank manager to do the job. That happened in a secure room, where they counted huge piles of cash. Surprisingly, the rate was better that the official one. All the cash was spent before departure. With an inflation rate of 85%, Turkish lira is not an investment.

My Europcar vehicle had no HGS tag, necessary for toll roads. I tried to purchase one at a toll road station, but once again, they initially refused, even though I had all the necessary paperwork and cash in hand. 'You are a tourist. You don't need to pay any fines, just drive through the gates. Never mind the toll fees. It is not a problem.' I didn't agree (the fines would be addressed to Europcar and added to their bill, with a penalty), but kept on blocking a row of eight other motorists behind me. Eventually, the man sold me a tag, with an equivalent of about €50 to spend on tolls. With my route, that was just about right.

There is perfectly fine hotel in downtown Birecik. Around Nemrut we camped, but our friends picked one of the many accomodations along the road in Karadut and it looked quite pleasant - we joined them for a good and fast dinner there. If I were to sleep in accomodations, I would generally avoid places called "hotel" in smaller towns, the places where a local rents a few rooms are always vastly superior.

There is perfectly fine hotel in downtown Birecik. Around Nemrut we camped, but our friends picked one of the many accomodations along the road in Karadut and it looked quite pleasant - we joined them for a good and fast dinner there. If I were to sleep in accomodations, I would generally avoid places called "hotel" in smaller towns, the places where a local rents a few rooms are always vastly superior.
In regard to Birecik, I guess it depends on one's personal requirements. One of their guests would have preferred a bench in a park instead, in retrospect.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back