• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Raptors in France - Alpilles, Near Eguiyeres, Today 15th March 2022 (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I'd love some thoughts on these two very distant raptors that I saw this afternoon --

Location near here: 43°42'38.1"N 4°59'39.1"E · 13430 Eyguières, France

The first bird (first two pictures) -- I think is a short-toed eagle.

I'm less sure about the second one (the final three pictures)

Photographs were part of separate sequences -- the birds photographed about 1 hour apart.

thanks for any thoughts!

Attachments

• KYLE6902.jpg
    KYLE6902.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 63
  • KYLE6899.jpg
    KYLE6899.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 79
  • KYLE6869.jpg
    KYLE6869.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 79
  • KYLE6871.jpg
    KYLE6871.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 79
  • KYLE6872.jpg
    KYLE6872.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 68
I'm afraid 3 is definitely not the same as either 4 or 5.
If it helps to jog your memory, 3 is either hovering or hanging on the wind. 4 and 5 are gliding.
Thanks- I will check the exif data on the camera. I thought they were the same sequence but worth checking- they certainly look v different

Yes - you are correct ! Clearly my brain is failing me. Thanks

Images 1 and 2 taken at 13:00hrs
Image 3 taken at 11:41hrs
Images 4 and 5 taken at 11:46hrs

That makes it a bit easier!

Last edited:
Thanks all! Agree that short toed eagle and black kite most likely IDs

Not identifiable (by me with bins - too far and too backlit. - probably no problem for the expert in raptor migration no doubt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back