• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Tree Island Best time to visit? (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I want to take a friend who lives near by to Two Tree Island, who has only just started birding.

I would like to be able to show him large numbers of waders. Would September be the best month for this?

No doubt it is tide dependent. Will the times for Southend be the nearest?

Thanks

BB

Waders will be present in large numbers from August through to April with different species peaking at different times.

Currently there are large numbers of Black-tailed Godwits, and a few Bar-tailed Godwits, present on the lagoon at the far western end. These birds roost here over high tide and feed in the creeks where there is sufficient mud.

For the optimum I would get there for about 2hours either side of High Tide and watch the birds coming in and the numbers building up. The tide for Southend is perfectly fine. Also consider the high of the high tide. A high high tide, about 5.8 or greater will flood all of the saltings and get the birds onto the lagoon, a low high tide, 5.0 or lower will result in fewer waders as some mud may still be exposed and saltings will offer a roosting point.

If its likely to be sunny get a monrning high tide and then the sun will be from behind and you wont be looking inot as you would do in the afternoon, unless its cloudy of course.

Later from October there will be an increase in smaller waders, such as Dunlin and Knot buet really any perion between as described as above should produced flocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back