• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Weeks in an Algarvean Winter (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
17th December

Left Bristol early in the morning with a harsh freezing wind hammering across the face as I climbed the steps to the Easyjet plane. Just three hours or so later, I was down to my tee shirt and basking in the glow and warmth whilst scanning birds on the Ria Formosa at Ludo Farm. That's the stuff!

Birds of note seen in a short scan from the car were a Whimbrel, a Common Sandpiper, the only Curlew Sandpiper of the trip, a flock of Azure-winged Magpies and a couple of fly over Serins.

A large flock of Waxbills was obvious right away upon arrival at Bayside Salgados and were to be seen throughout the stay. Chiffchaffs were all over the place and are common wintering birds in the Algarve with many being very confiding. Fan-tailed Warblers were also easily seen in a ditch running alongside the road by the complex.

Incidentally, the car was a Peugeot 107 booked through Holiday Autos and collected without any delay from Sixt at the airport.

18th December

The sunny weather gave way to cloudy, dull, windy and cooler conditions but still a lot warmer than back home.

A scan of Alvor Marsh and a walk around the scrub to the east of it produced Fan-tailed Warblers, Sardinian Warblers, Cattle Egrets, a Marsh Harrier, a ringtail Hen Harrier, Corn Buntings, White Storks and a Blackcap.

Moving round to Alvor Estuary was practically a waste of time as the wind was so strong off the sea that birding was very uncomfortable with heavy rain thrown in for good measure. It was not a total loss as Crested Larks, Black Redstarts, Avocets, forty four Flamingos, Yellow-legged Gulls, two Spoonbills, six Black-winged Stilts, Golden Plovers and a few Kentish Plovers did make their way to the notebook.

The forecast was not good for the rest of the week.

20th December

No birding yesterday due to awful weather, just mind numbingly boring shopping and painfully watching Liverpool lose to Chavski in the League Cup.

Still terrible today. Nipped out to Pera Marsh in the morning but the weather was too much, a second attempt in the afternoon produced a few pleasant birds. The lagoon was full to the brim with water.

A couple of Caspian Terns were great to see including one patrolling near the eastern beach car park. The margins of the lagoon held several Snipe but more importantly, a Bluethroat and a Water Pipit. Quite a few hirundines were wheeling over the lagoon including a couple of nice Crag Martins. A minimum of six Purple Gallinules were at their favoured spot on the southern side to the east of the hide but quite skittish as always so no picture. The dunes had an elusive large flock of Meadow Pipits that may well have held a decent bird or two. Crested larks were also easy to see in the dunes but no Stone Curlew this time. Other notables were Black-winged Stilts, Spoonbills and Kentish Plovers.

24th December

The warm sunshine is back!

The impatient visit to Pera Marsh in bad weather on the 20th left me with a nasty cold and reluctant to venture out until today. The lure of the delights of Quinta do Lago near Vilamoura was too hard to resist today. It was a astute move as quality birding was enjoyed.

A small flood pool by the large lagoon west of the car park offered photo opportunities. A Black-winged Stilt was particularly obliging here. The main lagoon here held little more than hundreds of Coots as usual.

Walking east of the car park after lunch produced the goods. Hoopoes, Sardinian Warblers, Fan-tailed Warblers, babazillions of Chiffchaffs, a Serin, Azure-winged Magpie flocks, a Caspian Tern, confiding Turnstones, Red-crested Pochards, White Storks and a few Purple Gallinules of which one posed nicely about twenty yards away with the sun on it.

25th December

Carvoeiro Lighthouse in the morning was a bit of a let down with nothing spectacular seen. I can see the potential of the place during migration though. Plenty of pukka looking Rock Doves around the place.

A look along the Odeluca Valley was also depressing for me. It just didn’t do it for me at all but I can see it being productive for raptors.

Cutting losses and returning to Salgados to visit Pera Marsh was good as seeing a few decent birds perked me up. One shocker was the complete lack of water. The beach had been bulldozed away where the water goes out and all of the lagoon drained away to please some big wigs who own the adjacent golf course or something along those lines. Madness.

A Caspian Tern, two White Storks, three Spoonbills, a Marsh Harrier, quadrillions of Golden Plovers, a Water Pipit, some Black-winged Stilts and Kentish Plovers all offered eye candy before a scour of the dunes produced just Skylarks, a Kestrel and a Hare. A Hoopoe was also noted on the track back to the main road.

26th December

The Ria Formosa National Park at Olhao was the venue for the day and offered some good birding as well as various habitat and points of interest such as a watermill powered by the tide, a precursor to tidal power schemes I thought. The whole trail took about three hours at a steady birder’s pace where you are stopping to check out everything that moves. Entrance was 1.50 per person with plenty of interesting information leaflets also on sale.

Coming out of the visitor centre in the reserve, I was amazed to see a juvenile Griffon Vulture no more than thirty or so yards overhead. I was to see it again a further three or four times around the reserve before it flew out either to sea or the barrier islands.

Birds worth reciting from my trusty notebook were Azure-winged Magpies, Sardinian Warblers, Mediterranean Gulls, Flamingos, a Purple Gallinule and Crested Larks. There was a distinct lack of waders as the pools were full. I suspect that I may have flushed a Richard’s Pipit but this was probably due to having them on my mind after john-henry had seen a few in November.

Driving through Faro to get to Ludo Farm near the airport was a lot easier than I anticipated and highly worthwhile. With the sun to my back, I spent an hour or so attempting to digiscope four Caspian Terns in flight and got one ‘keeper’ I can use to produce a sketch from. All good fun.

A scan of the small hills in the distance was good for seeing three Booted Eagles including a super pale phase bird. All thanks to John-henry’s advice. Scan the smaller hills with trees to the north with white villas in them and not the bigger mountains in the distance.

Other birds seen without walking too far were a Marsh Harrier, three Little Stints and two Hoopoes.

Liverpool beat Derby today too so things were looking up!

An evening of excess followed with a plate of fresh Carvalhos (large King Prawns), Sagres Bohemia 1835 beer and some glasses of velvety Velhotes Special Reserve Port!

27th December

A three hour walk around Parc Ambiental did not produce anything spectacular but was enjoyable for the birds that were on offer and the amount of exercise.

Top bird was a distant raptor that I got my scope on in time to see as a dark phase Booted Eagle just before it dropped into a steep, direct and fast plummeting dive that slackened my jaw in amazement. It had disappeared into the garden of some villa, hopefully after a cat!

Large flocks of Crested Larks were in the ploughed fields. Two Marsh Harriers commuted between the golf course and the small lagoon which was full of Little Grebes. A Serin was with Linnets drinking from puddles in the track. A few Fan-tailed Warblers as well as loads of Blackcaps were also present.

Three or four shy Gecko species were on a wooden information panel. Hopefully, I shall be able to assign them to their proper name.

A scan of nearby Falesia Lagoon offered three Marsh Harriers (possibly from Parc Ambiental) but none of the hoped for Penduline Tits I saw last winter.
Just before watching the sunset from Gale, a bird passed over quickly, looking very much like a swift species.

28th December

A long drive to Cabo de Sao Vicente at the south western tip of mainland Europe in hope of seeing Thekla Lark and Alpine Accentor. Saw the former but no sign of any of the latter.

About six Thekla Larks were foraging east of the lighthouse car park as last winter. Two Blue Rock Thrushes were also seen but not close enough for a good squint or photo. Black Redstarts, Sardinian Warblers and loads of Dartford Warblers were all over the place. A male Ring Ouzel was a pleasantly unexpected surprise. Some Spotless Starlings were lined up on the telegraph wires.

The highlight was disturbing a long black snake of about a metre long. A bit spooky but at the same time exciting.

Here, the cliffs are at least a hundred metres high and plenty of anglers were stood on the edge fearlessly peering over as they cast their lines all the way down. It was too much to even stand five yards from the edge with my vertigo. They were doing alright, regularly bringing up small fish that looked like 'Douradas' or something like that. Take a rod if you want a free fish supper!

A look around a farm at the end of a track running north of the main Sagres/Lighthouse road was not as good as last year, just a few Corn Buntings.

For the second time running, I came away without seeing a Chough at all whereas everyone else seems to.

The scenery here is a splendidly unspoilt one untainted by the mass sprawl of tourism of which I acknowledge that I play a part in. As soon as you pass through Lagos it all changes to a becalming habitat with a few farm buildings and ruins dotted here and there.

A stop at Alvor Marsh to watch for raptors was good for the ringtail Hen Harrier, a few Kestrels and the Marsh Harrier climbing up to mob a passing Osprey. All this just before a divine sunset.

29th December

Back to Quinta do Lago for the morning.

Walking to the east was fortunate as I came across two confiding Hoopoes for some nice photographs.

A flock of Waxbills passed over. A few Crested Larks, some flocks of Azure-winged Magpies, a couple of Kingfishers and loads of Sardinian Warblers indulged me. A Common Sandpiper was unusually feeding on a concrete tennis court with the enormous Ria Formosa estuary on offer no more than fifty yards away, bizarre.

A Fan-tailed Warbler worked it’s way like a mouse through the scrub at our feet. No binoculars needed and it was a laugh failing to get a photo despite holding my camera up to it.

No chance of going east of the car park as we had to return to Salgados but did have time to visit Pera Marsh again. Three Caspian Terns, fifty one Little Grebes, about twenty Black-winged Stilts, two Common Sandpipers and some Avocets all fed in the pitiful amount of water left at the mouth of the lagoon. Elsewhere on the mud and small puddles were Kentish Plovers, four Purple Gallinules, a Bluethroat, some Snipe, a Green Sandpiper and six Spoonbills.

That rounded the trip off as the next and final day was spent sourcing souvenirs and bottles of decent Port to take back home but a brief walk around the farm land north of Pera Marsh near Alcantrilha did reveal two Little Owls.

The Algarve delivered the goods. If I had not come down with a cold, I would have made two long trips to Castro Marim and Castro Verde hoping to see some Bustards and Calandra Larks. Next time.

Sources of info.......

A Birdwatcher’s Guide to Portugal and Madeira by Moore, Elias & Costa
ISBN : 1871104076
(Limited to about three or four sites for the Algarve but very useful and doubles up if you ever go to Madeira.)

Summer Birding on the Central Algarve by John Hardacre
ISBN : 0-9552302-0-9
(Although it is a summer based book, it is useful for the maps and site descriptions. I'd rather the maps were more 'map-like' and less diagrammatic.)

Detail Map Algarve (Southern Portugal) 1;200000
ISBN-10: 3-8297-6235-6
(A good map but very large and unweildy to use in a car. You will manage okay with the smaller maps they give away free with your hire car anyway.)

Various trip reports on the internet and some excellent advice from BF’s very own john-henry of whom I am indebted to.

Attachments

• ALG023 - Black-winged Stilt (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    ALG023 - Black-winged Stilt (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 125
  • ALG029 - Purple Gallinule (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    ALG029 - Purple Gallinule (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 127
  • ALG055 - Caspian Tern (Ludo Farm).JPG
    ALG055 - Caspian Tern (Ludo Farm).JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 146
  • ALG064 - Thekla Lark (Cabo de Sao Vicente).JPG
    ALG064 - Thekla Lark (Cabo de Sao Vicente).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 128
  • ALG082 - Hoopoe (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    ALG082 - Hoopoe (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
A few more pictures....

Attachments

• ALG021 - Waxbill.JPG
    ALG021 - Waxbill.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 127
  • ALG052 - White Stork (Olhao).JPG
    ALG052 - White Stork (Olhao).JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 113
  • ALG070 - Azure-winged Magpie (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    ALG070 - Azure-winged Magpie (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 130
  • ALG050 - Flamingo (Olhao).JPG
    ALG050 - Flamingo (Olhao).JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 101
  • ALG036 - Pochard (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    ALG036 - Pochard (Quinta do Lago).JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 105
Nice Report.
I am going in Feb.
Last time I went to Alvor I got caught in a hailstorm and came back frozen!
Last year at Quinta de Lagos I had an excellent view of a Bluethroat,a lifer for me.
We hope to explore the Vincente coast a bit more this year as it seems to be quite unspoilt compared to the Algarve.

Great report and photos Andrew, even got a Waxbill :t:

Especially like your Caspian Tern in flight, that takes some digiscoping, great shot.

Glad you had a great time and hope you found a good night-nurse for that cold 3:)

Cheers for now

John

Stranger, I hope you shall have a decent trip in February with some early migrants returning such as the Great Spotted Cuckoo for one.

John, practically all the shops sold delicious 'Night-nurse'. Still got two bottles left. ;)

After a scan of the intranet I have now tentatively pushed myself to identify the geckos from Parc Ambiental as Moorish Geckos.

Can anyone confirm from the two photographs supplied? Seems to be growing a new tail.

As for the aforementioned snake, my best guess now is a Ladder Snake.

BTW, butterfly species I did notice without trying were the orangey southern form of Speckled Woods, Monarchs, Red Admirals and Painted Ladies.

Attachments

• ALG058 - Gecko (Parc Ambiental).jpg
    ALG058 - Gecko (Parc Ambiental).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 107
  • ALG059 - Gecko (Parc Ambiental).jpg
    ALG059 - Gecko (Parc Ambiental).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Brilliant Andrew,

Warm Sunshine (on some days !!) good birds and downing a few glasses of a good Port. Ahh Perfick. Enjoyed the report. Thank you for sharing the trip with us and the great photographs. Got itchy feet now. :t:

What's the story with Pera Marsh?

I thought that attempts to have it drained had been halted by designating a reserve - obviously wrong. Does anyone know what the future holds for this area?

An evening of excess followed with a plate of fresh Carvalhos (large King Prawns),

So two of portugal's most celebrated footballers are effectively "lewis fig" and "richard king prawn", not to mention france's "patrick scallop" (of cape verdean descent)

good report btw,
it's a shame you didn't make it to the steppes though - they're brill!!

What's the story with Pera Marsh?

I thought that attempts to have it drained had been halted by designating a reserve - obviously wrong. Does anyone know what the future holds for this area?

I never seem to find a definitive and magisterial explanation of what the drainage of the marsh is all about myself. Everyone on the internet seems equally baffled by it each time. The warden for Pera looks a pretty decent bloke (tough ba***rd too) but never offers more than a acknowledging nod so it is hard for me to pursue more info off him. I hope he will recognise me next time I see him and then I can approach him and use hand gesturing and some words to obtain a mere hint of reason.

EDIT : Just found this......... http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=790072&postcount=23

Last edited:
I never seem to find a definitive and magisterial explanation of what the drainage of the marsh is all about myself. Everyone on the internet seems equally baffled by it each time. The warden for Pera looks a pretty decent bloke (tough ba***rd too) but never offers more than a acknowledging nod so it is hard for me to pursue more info off him. I hope he will recognise me next time I see him and then I can approach him and use hand gesturing and some words to obtain a mere hint of reason.

EDIT : Just found this......... http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=790072&postcount=23

That about sums it up Andrew,
The existing sewerage works is not large enough for the volume of tourists using it therefore it overflows into Pera Marsh causing pollution and bird-deaths, which I witnessed on my last visit. The only solution at the moment is to drain the marsh to prevent both, hopefully something will be done about it sometime in the future but as with our country it seems to take a long, long time. It seems almost certain further 'develpment' will take place around the marsh and this must surely include adequate sewage facilities - fingers crossed while saying this.

Cheers

John

Hopefully this will shed some light what is going on down at Salgados Jose Tavares of the RSPB and SPEA and lots of unpaid volunteers are working tirelessy to give Lagoa Salgados the protection that it most deservedly needs .

Regards Jack

Just a footnote back in late May my Dad was out there and he said the Lagoon was again full of water and lots of bird. But obviously when this happened in April you can imagine how angry local conservationists were;

Lagoa dos Salgados
Before I start receiving dozens of e-mails – let me inform you all of the latest (very bad) news about Lagoa dos Salgados.

The Salgados wetland was drained again this weekend – last Saturday a machine opened a canal and drained the water out to sea. This happened in the beginning of the breeding season, with disastrous consequences for the breeding birds. It is now completely empty as you can see in the enclosed photographs.

THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. As I mentioned several times to you, there was an agreement with the CCDR (land planning agency) that the wetland should not be drained during the breeding season (after March), to protect breeding birds.

As you know, in the absence of any water management system, the water level in Pera Marshes often floods partially Golfe dos Salgados (which was built many years ago far too close to the wetland – we have averted the same mistake with the new development on the east side of the lagoon). In the past the owners of Golfe dos Salgados used to drain regularly the water body, following heavy rains, but after some campaigning by local groups and SPEA following a similar event (Spring drainage a few years ago), a better formula was agreed until a proper water management system could be implemented – the wetland could be opened out to sea during the winter only, and following an authorization from CCDR.

WE ARE DISGUSTED AND REVOLTED with this occurrence now, and promise we will take it as far as we can. We are on the case trying to identify the culprits – was CCDR informed of the plans to open it now? Did they give authorization? We are trying to find out the facts before acting – we will then contact the police and the press, and will inform you all of what you can do to protest against this revolting situation.

I will keep you informed.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jose Tavares

Country Programmes Officer for Turkey , Portugal and Greece

European Programmes

International Division

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds

The Lodge

Sandy

Bedfordshire SG19 2DL

UK

www.rspb.org.uk

This briefing follows the one from last October, and aims to summarise the latest developments with the efforts being undertaken by Sociedade Portuguesa para o Estudo das Aves (SPEA – BirdLife in Portugal) and the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB – BirdLife in the UK) to secure the long-term conservation of the Lagoa dos Salgados, an unprotected Important Bird Area (IBA) in the Algarve Coast.

1. Protection of the site as a Special Protected Area under the Birds Directive

As you all know, the first and immediate objective of the advocacy campaign we have been implementing is to protect the Salgados wetland as a Special Protected Area (SPA) under the Birds Directive. If you remember, we had a political commitment from the Portuguese government to declare the site as an SPA as long as all stakeholders agreed and signed a formal declaration. I have been in close contact with the Portuguese government officials, and can confirm this is still their position.

Now, following our initial meeting two years ago (February 2006) with all local stakeholders, it was clear that all outstanding issues around the site would need to be sorted out before they put pen to paper and signed a declaration supporting the legal protection of the site. There were two main issues (among a few other smaller, easier ones) that needed to be sorted before we formally asked everybody with a stake in Salgados for their signature:

- the final approval of the planned new golf course and tourism complex in the western side of the lagoon. This was finally sorted last year (2007).

- the problem of water provision and water pricing. This is now the only outstanding problem to solve – but it is not an easy one. For the Salgados wetland to continue to exist and thrive, Aguas do Algarve need to give good quality (tertiary treatment) water to the wetland from the new sewage treatment plant that is now being built a few kilometres inland. Now, Aguas do Algarve wants someone to pay for this water. In the last few months there have been several meetings to try to sort this complex and difficult problem. Unfortunately there has not been any agreement so far on any framework for joint operations, provisioning and pricing for the water that will be given to the wetland, as well as for the water that will be given to the nearby golf courses to irrigate their lawns. In the meantime, to build our case and prepare ourselves for these negotiations, we have asked for a legal opinion on the issue - this suggested that Aguas do Algarve are actually under the obligation to provide the water to the site (due to conditions set by the Environmental Impact Assessment decision for the new sewage treatment plant, that was heavily influenced by SPEA). In the next few months we will continue to engage in the negotiations to try to get a voluntary agreement, but there are many parties involved (Aguas do Algarve and three golf courses owners that will be supplied by the new sewage treatment plan), so this is not easy. Existing golf course owners currently get their water from other sources, while the new golf course (on the western side of the wetland) is still a couple of years away, so there is no urgency on their part to find a solution. A new round of meetings is expected to happen next month.

Since this water problem has not been sorted, a formal meeting to get all signatures for SPA protection hasn’t been organized. I hope you will agree with us that without sorting the water issue – one that is of paramount importance to the long-term sustainability of the site – it does not make much sense to try to secure other outputs.

This is rather frustrating as progress in the last few months has been slow, and unfortunately the SPA designation is not in sight in the short-term future. But then again, some action is happening, the site is there, hasn’t been destroyed, it’s condition has not significantly deteriorated from previous years, has been supporting many birds and giving great birdwatching experiences to many people in the last couple of years.

2. The “ecovia” (walking and cycle track)

We have been aware of this development for some time. Rui Eufrasia – the very efficient volunteer site caretaker, see below - had alerted us as soon as the first surveyors were on site. The construction started soon after, but there has been no recent activity even if the job is only half-done.

The bridge over the south (outlet) part of the lagoon, as well as the raised walkway along the dunes as far west as the car park at Praia Grande, belong to the "Ecovia or Ciclovia do Algarve" (Algarve bicycle track), a project designed and promoted by the AMAL - Algarve Greater Metropolitan Area, that consists on a bicycle-walking track all along the Algarve coast. This project obviously has the blessing of the land planning agency (CCDR), and is funded by the EU (Interreg III). In fact this EU budget line is now closing, so after dragging their feet for months and months over this project they now are hurrying and spending the money as fast as possible before the funding disappears - hence the bust of construction activity reported.

The promoters of the new development on the west side of the Lagoa dos Salgados (Finalgarve) were not very warm to the idea, but since the path will cross their land within the 500 m that are considered public property (500 m inland from the high tide mark, which are under public management), they decided not to fight it.

The construction obviously caused some disruption (se enclosed photo), but because it was done during the winter this was not critical. Also, our local contacts believe the destruction of habitat was marginal, and that the structure itself will not have much impact on the bird biodiversity. Several voices raised the concern that the track will allow the crowds from the dense tourism complexes on the west side of the lagoon to come over – while this may be true, we do want to promote people to visit the site, so as long as proper visitor management procedures are in place, this should not be a problem. In fact, ideally the ecovia should help to constrain walkers to a well-defined pathway and stop them from wandering indiscriminately over the dunes and the lagoon shores. As long as there are proper visitor management measures in place at the site - which we hope will be implemented as part of the management plan that will follow the official protection of the site, - then we may be able to cope with all the visitors - and even attract them to see the birds of the lagoon, visit our interpretation centre and support the conservation of the site - eventually even to join SPEA?

3. Drainage of the wetland

In the end of February, and following the heavy rains that caused so much flooding in Portugal (including loss of life in the worst flooding in the Lisbon area in decades), Salgados was drained to prevent flooding of the Salgados golf course. This is part of the normal process (regular winter drainage to prevent flooding) that has been under implementation for a few years, and that will have to continue until a proper water management system is in place. As a result, in early March the lagoon was dry, which is always a frustrating sight, and several people have written to complain against this. Fortunately birds do return as soon as some water trickles in – and this has now happened, since it has been raining again in the Algarve. I am told that the wetland does have now plenty of water again.
4. The future interpretation centre
We have been working with the developers of the new tourism complex (on the west side) to transform the derelict Salgados farm house into an interpretation centre. Following our request, they have done an architectural survey of the old buildings, which we have very recently received. Any formal decision re. transfer of these building to SPEA, etc, will only be given once the status and management of the whole site is formally agreed by all, but we would like to start planning and structuring the future interpretation centre, so that when the time comes we would be in a position to advance things quickly. I can provide the survey plans to any interested parties – if any of you is an architect and can volunteer some time to work with us on this issue, please come forward!

5. Disturbance

Over the last few months several people have reported that disturbance at the site seems to be increasing – from walkers, joggers, horse riders, camper vans, quad-bikers, etc. Last Summer Rui Eufrasia wrote a complaining letter to the land planning agency and three signs prohibiting waling the dogs without a leash were pout up. We will write a new letter to CCDR asking them to take measures against the quad-bikes, but I would like to encourage all to contact CCDR (CCDR Algarve (Ambiente e Ordenamento), Rua Dr. José Matos, 13, 8000-503 Faro, Telefone: +351 289 889 000), and in particular SEPNA – the environmental police (808200520) if you see something that is obviously distressing birds or causing a lot of disturbance

6. Construction of the new tourism complex and of the submarine emissary through the wetland

Two major pieces of construction will happen sooner or later in and around the wetland: a) the construction of the tourism complex and golf course on the west side of the wetland, now finally approved; and b) the construction of the underground emissary that will carry effluent from the new sewage treatment plant out to the sea – this will cross the wetland. We envisage that all these construction will cause significant disturbance and will make the site look quite pitiful (so please let’s try to support this as well as we can!), but if done properly and at the right time, we are confident the site can recover quickly it’s former status and habitats. SPEA and the RSPB are planning to monitor closely the construction phases to minimise impact.

We have been in close contact with the developers of the new tourism complex, and can confirm that this major construction will not start before 2009. We are now trying to get from Aguas do Algarve the construction plans for the sewage emissary.

7. Events

In February SPEA has organised at the Salgados wetland an event to control the highly invasive Carpobrotus (chorao ou cape fig) at the site.

On the 19th April SPEA is also organising a fieldtrip to Salgados, led by Rui Eufrasia (see details at http://www.spea.pt/index.php?op=act_2008/ssalgados)

Finally, following the success of last year’s event, SPEA is also planning to organise again a DONA event (similar to the RSPB’s own Aren’t Bird Brilliant project) at the Praia Grande car park this summer, to show beachgoers the spectacular birds that use this wetland.

8. Capacity problems

In the last few months both SPEA and myself have been struggling with a problem of capacity. As you know, SPEA is still dependent on projects for their operations, and in the last few months they had to submit 2 new big proposals to the EU’s LIFE Fund, and also produce final reports for two projects that are ending. These projects, funded through the EU, significantly help funding SPEA core costs, hence supporting all their other conservation initiatives - this was then of utmost importance and priority. If we don’t secure this EU funding SPEA capacity in the medium term will be severely curtailed, including any resources for Salgados.

Capacity is indeed a crucial point in the Salgados story – if only we had a full time staff member dealing with this issue, maybe things could progress more swiftly. Both SPEA and the RSPB fully recognize this. However, in the real world, this is simply not possible – there are no resources in SPEA for this. The RSPB has actually increased it’s financial support to SPEA this year in view of the excellent work and results that SPEA is achieving, and the huge challenges that SPEA faces in-country. Given the scale, scope and timing of the multiple threats affecting most of the 93 Portuguese Important Bird Areas, our support is clearly not enough, and unfortunately SPEA’s (growing but small) membership or corporate fundraising hasn’t been able to provide the core budget they need.

This leads me to suggest that fundraising for SPEA – to try to get extra capacity on the Salgados campaign – may actually be the priority for committed supporters like you – if any of you have any ideas about getting a few extra thousand pounds so that we can finally employ a full time Salgados campaigner, do please let me know!

9. Probable RSPB sabbatical

Partly to solve the capacity problems referred above, I am happy to report that we are close to secure an RSPB sabbatical to work in the Salgados campaign for a full month during May. A colleague of mine (Aidan Lonergan, Director of the RSPB in Northern Ireland) will come down for a full month and work on a number of issues. If any of you living in the Algarve want to meet him to discuss and analyse the Salgados campaign, just let us know!

10. Rui Eufrasia

A word of acknowledgement and encouragement to Rui, the Salgados Important Bird Area caretaker, and one of the heroes behind the scene. He is our ears and eyes on the ground, and most of the information we get from the site is due to his tireless commitment to the conservation of this wetland. Obrigado Rui!

José Pedro Tavares
Country Programmes Officer for Portugal, Turkey and Greece
International Division
The RSPB
The Lodge
Sandy
Bedfordshire SG19 2DL, UK
E-Mail: [email protected]

That is a fantastic post Jack, very informative and motivating. Whilst it is sad to know that not everyone is on board in encouraging a positive management of the lagoon yet know there is work behind the scenes towards concentrating all invloved parties towards a healthy conclusion. I can visualise all this paying off and the wildlife living side by side happily as they do at Quinta do Lago and Olhao. Basically, I now have faith there is a tolerance of the situation for now as the lagoon's structure is STILL there and the aim is to secure it's long term functionality for birds through the year. Top stuff.

Thanks,
Andrew.

PS : I actually almost mistakenly replied to José in this post, it was that good!

Last edited:
Sorry Andrew
This is all Jose's work not mine all I have done is copied Jose's email that he sent to me and other interested parties.
Regards Jack
p.s. Glad you found the book useful.

Last edited:
After a scan of the intranet I have now tentatively pushed myself to identify the geckos from Parc Ambiental as Moorish Geckos.

Can anyone confirm from the two photographs supplied? Seems to be growing a new tail.

As for the aforementioned snake, my best guess now is a Ladder Snake.

BTW, butterfly species I did notice without trying were the orangey southern form of Speckled Woods, Monarchs, Red Admirals and Painted Ladies.
Yes they are Moorish Geckos.

They are much more robust than the Turkish Gecko, the other species found in Portugal. The shape of the head and the pads extending to the edge of the claws (which appears to be the case with these) are also diagnostic.

Oddly enough, as I type this, a Gecko is skittering along the edge of the ceiling just above me!

Yes they are Moorish Geckos.

They are much more robust than the Turkish Gecko, the other species found in Portugal. The shape of the head and the pads extending to the edge of the claws (which appears to be the case with these) are also diagnostic.

Oddly enough, as I type this, a Gecko is skittering along the edge of the ceiling just above me!

Thanks for confirming that Chowchilla, the Moorish Geckos were quite nippy. Despite being confiding enough to come and look at you, as soon as you went to them with the camera they would scurry off to the nooks and crannies or the roof of the display board they were on.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back