• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK migratory birds 'in freefall' over climate change (1 Viewer)

This seems to be standard fare from the BBC - misleading headline about declines in bird populations being due to climate change, while brushing over the many other causes of declines - some of which could be tackled much more easily than climate change.

This seems to be standard fare from the BBC - misleading headline about declines in bird populations being due to climate change, while brushing over the many other causes of declines - some of which could be tackled much more easily than climate change.
To be fair the first half of the article did highlight some of these issues.

But it did take the slant of climate change majorly after that.

To be fair the first half of the article did highlight some of these issues.

But it did take the slant of climate change majorly after that.
We obviously have a different view on what "highlight" means. The article referred to them briefly in a sentence, but was otherwise entirely about climate change, as was the headline. In my book giving a brief mention to what are the actual causes of decline in most bird species (both in the UK and globally), and then devoting the rest of the article to climate change, is actively misleading. Any lay person reading that article would come away with the impression that climate change was the greatest cause of decline in migratory birds.

Most British migrants have been in active decline since before the time when the predicted climate emergency was global cooling and a new ice age.

Yeah, hardly anything lives in the intensively farmed fields... Where I live, just like where I grew up, Skylark, Grey Patridge and Lapwing were common just 25 years ago and now have gone.
Where I live its similar... you're lucky to get a few yellowhammers walking the fields in Lincolnshire. This is the opposite of where my family lives in France, wildlife over there seems to be increasing (probably not the case for the rest of France though). Recorded 91 species within the area on the last trip.

Not just the BBC. The State of Nature report skips most of the causes for biodiversity decline that I see on a day to day basis and include some as headlines which have marginal impacts (to date in the UK) from my experience....

It is all political and the ability to deliver clear concise messages to the public making maximum immediate impact is lost as a result.

"The main causes of these declines are
clear, as are many ways in which we
can reduce impacts and help struggling
species. The evidence from the last
50 years shows that on land and in
freshwater, significant and ongoing
changes in the way we manage our land
for agriculture, and the effects of climate
change, are having the biggest impacts
on our wildlife."

Let's face it, we have even seen censorship of some causes such as pets on this forum as well.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back