• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Bird Call - North Carolina (in the Sandhills) (1 Viewer)

I'm sorry I don't have a recording of the call - I may add that later once I capture it. This is driving me crazy I've looked up every which way on youtube and google but I've had no luck. I thought it might be a crow (we have a lot of American Crows).

The sound is like a very loud "CLACK CLACK CLACK" and a very, very soft ascending "whoop" right after. Almost like the bird is clicking or clacking its beak maybe? CLACK CLACK CLACK whoop

I only hear it in the mornings around 8AM.

Okay, this may be a bit labor intensive, but it could also be quite fun. Aim for the following website:
https://ebird.org/media/catalog
You can set filters, such that you can narrow it to birds near your location. Then you can narrow it further by clicking the audio symbol (speaker), so that you're given only sound recordings.

You don't think that it might be a woodpecker drumming? Sometimes they 'drum' (peck on something which produces the loudest sound possible) to claim their territory. (I've known a woodpecker to use a streetlamp shade, because it reverberated like a bell.) I'm not sure if it is also used for finding a mate. Perhaps.

I have no idea but t do want to wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Please join in wherever you like šŸ‘

Did it sound anything like these?

If it were Europe, I would be thinking Stork species but Sandhill Cranes make a clacking type sound. Otherwise, I would suggest you are on the right lines with a Corvid species -
I checked these out and unfortunately none of these is it! We don't live near a body of water (but I was delighted to see 1 heron or crane-like bird fly over yesterday, but I never hear them). I haven't heard the sound since I posted this, I think this is a mystery that will remain unsolved...

Okay, this may be a bit labor intensive, but it could also be quite fun. Aim for the following website:
https://ebird.org/media/catalog
You can set filters, such that you can narrow it to birds near your location. Then you can narrow it further by clicking the audio symbol (speaker), so that you're given only sound recordings.

You don't think that it might be a woodpecker drumming? Sometimes they 'drum' (peck on something which produces the loudest sound possible) to claim their territory. (I've known a woodpecker to use a streetlamp shade, because it reverberated like a bell.) I'm not sure if it is also used for finding a mate. Perhaps.
I went through this for hours and didn't find anything of the sort. I dont know if woodpeckers make the whoop sound I was hearing, I thought it might be a woodpecker on something not a tree too. But it sounded kind of like a crow or raven's beak clacking as I've seen in other videos... but I haven't found the exact call, or anything close enough.

Thanks for the website! It'll definitely help with my future identification efforts!

If you thought Crow, then you may well be right. Crow species here, in additional to cawing calls, have some sort of a "song" given from a perch, which to me sounds like a slightly unhinged man muttering and complaining to himself, and involves squeaks and whoops as well as caws.

And they are a bit individual as well, so it could be that no other crow sounds quite like yours

Hey!!! After all these months I finally heard the bird again, and I got a video!
I think it might be difficult to hear in the video but there is a soft ā€œwooā€ at the end of the clacking sound

It sounds like a Green Heron. I can't make out the "woo" sound, but they do make a similar sound to that, in addition to the clacking.
It sounds just like a green heron!! Iā€™m looking for a video that has that woo sound Iā€™m hearing- unfortunately the bugs are just too loud in my video. Thank you so much for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back