• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified moth? Northern Ireland May 2019 (No photo, only description) (1 Viewer)

maplekong

Well Known For Being Inexperienced Member
England
I can't find where to put this, so here it is in this forum, sorry

Me and my sisters were in the garden one balmy May afternoon, when a huge dark moth decided to land on our clematis plant. I have not seen one before or after like it. It was huge, but sadly did not spread it's wings, and a rough estimate would be four to six centimetres long. A very hard session of googling later, it appears that I saw a female fox moth, but I'm not sure. The moth was almost black, more like a dark sooty brown (think female blackbird but darker). The photo I took with my dad's phone, which was so blurry and badly focused that I couldn't see if it had any patterning or not, is unfortunately lost.

Any help would b greatly appreciated! It's been bugging me for years now- literally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back