• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified, Salt Flats in San Diego, CA, USA (3 Viewers)

gsimonel

United States
I am having no luck IDing this bird. Can anyone help me? It was in some grassy brush in a salt flat in San Diego. The photos were taken on 12/23. Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Attachments

• Unknown_12-23-23_7575.jpg
    Unknown_12-23-23_7575.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 34
  • Unknown_12-23-23_7594.jpg
    Unknown_12-23-23_7594.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 34
Both photos are of the same individual. It may well be impossible to age or sex - one would need a much more detailed source than just comparing with (mis?)labelled photos on the internet.

I can't say for sure if they are the same individual or no, There was a small group of these birds together, and I took several photos. You can see a second lark in the background of this photo, in the upper right.

Attachments

• Horned_Lark_12-23-23_7593.jpg
    Horned_Lark_12-23-23_7593.jpg
    783.4 KB · Views: 14
Left bird in the new photo is the same individual as in photos 1-2 (several plumage micro-features match). This bird seems likely to be a 1st-year (streaking over whole of upperparts, no pinkish-brown on nape, little black on crown). Out-of-focus bird in photo 3 seems more likely to be 2nd-year or older (more black on head). They're not sexable from these photos. (This is using info on the European form).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back