• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird drainage ditch Derby uk. (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone. At the bottom of my road there’s a drainage ditch which is home to mallard and moorhen at this time of year. However when I was walking the shop earlier I noticed this little thing perched on a sheet of discarded Heras fencing🤨 I want to say a juvenile of some sort?? But it wasn’t being attended to by the adult mallards. There were 2 others also in and around the reeds. One of them had markings on its rear of 2 thick white patches separated by a black centre “bar”

Anyone any ideas? Thanks🙂

IMG_0290.jpegIMG_0289.jpeg

I don’t want to sound ungrateful or rude to either of you. And as a novice I know it may seem like disagreeing with you is both😅 but I really don’t think it’s a moorhen. It was just too “bulky” and rather than being jet black this thing was a dark shade of grey with almost a deep blue sort of hue in parts.

Could it be anything else?

moorhen and saw 2 juveniles in wakefield over a week ago
That is early for a juvenile given most commence egg laying mid April with an incubation of 22 days ( slightly later the further North of the range ) and juveniles, as opposed to chicks, when they are food independent of the parents. But some pairs do breed earlier in March.

That is early for a juvenile given most commence egg laying mid April with an incubation of 22 days ( slightly later the further North of the range ) and juveniles, as opposed to chicks, when they are food independent of the parents. But some pairs do breed earlier in March.
The British birds book I have said that what looks like the bird I seen are juveniles as well💁🏻‍♂️

Could be, depending on bill colour and 'sharpness' of plumage. However, such a well-grown juvenile is extremely unlikely at this time of year given that they are only likely to have hatched recently and would look more like those in the attached image.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425-200031.png
    Screenshot_20240425-200031.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back