• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird song from Poland (1 Viewer)

JayFeatherPL

Poland
28th of March, about 12 pm, the recording was made by the lake where mallards and goldeneyes swim, I didn't see any birds while recording - only frogs, I upload two files: The first one is the whole recording and the second one is the call cut from the first recording, sorry for the poor quality but the bird was in a distance. The unknown call
is the duck-like sound.

Attachments

• 231113_0323.MP3
    1,011.7 KB
  • 231113_0323 (mp3cut.net).mp3
    112.7 KB
Maybe it's another frog (?) -- unless someone comes up with a better idea.

Interestingly enough, Merlin and BirdNET hear Hawfinch, although I don't know if the call's sonogram shape is distinctive enough to clinch the ID.

Attachments

• my purported Hawfinch from a while ago.jpg
    my purported Hawfinch from a while ago.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 4
  • your purported Hawfinch.jpg
    your purported Hawfinch.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 4
  • your purported Hawfinch normalised to -3 dB.jpg
    your purported Hawfinch normalised to -3 dB.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 2
  • another call recorded by you after normalisation.jpg
    another call recorded by you after normalisation.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 4
Nice ones, I mostly get to see Common Toads during spring migration (mostly Green Toads in autumn), although I haven't been making much effort, too.

EDIT: A shame I did delete the recording (although it really wasn't of much use), but I had a pair of frogs deceive BirdNET into thinking they're Nightjars.

Hello,

all frogs in your two pictures are Moor Frogs Rana arvalis.

And with the usual caveat and as I am very far from an expert in amphibian sounds:

The warbling frogs in the recording are Common Frogs Rana temporaria. And some Common Toads in the background.

And the single call you asked for might well be a Common Toad? Because you didnt saw a bird from that direction/area

But better wait for confirmation or correction. Thanks from me too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back