• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bunting/sparrow at Pawnee National Grassland, Colorado (1 Viewer)

Alland160

Hi - I took this picture at Pawnee National Grassland on 1 May 2015. It was about the size of a corn bunting or a lark sparrow and singing from some low scattered bushes in an area of open grassland. I thought it should be easy enough to identify with distinctive head markings and strong wing bars but nothing in Sibley seems to fit. Grateful for any suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_8890.jpg
    IMG_8890.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 88
Yeah, with it being mostly brownish, with an unmarked buffy breast, crown with a middle stripe, large head & short tail I'd say Andrew called it right as Grasshopper Sparrow.

Grasshopper Sparrow

Hi - I took this picture at Pawnee National Grassland on 1 May 2015. It was about the size of a corn bunting or a lark sparrow and singing from some low scattered bushes in an area of open grassland. I thought it should be easy enough to identify with distinctive head markings and strong wing bars but nothing in Sibley seems to fit. Grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks all for your help with this one. I see it now - I think it was the apparent strength of the wing bars which threw me off the scent.

The yellow wing edge is pretty diagnostic of the genus as well, if you were in doubt, but it is a relatively distinctive bird without that too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back