• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown galliform? Lower Klamath Wildlife Refuge, N. California, US (2 Viewers)

BombustheParrot

United States
Hello! I was birding Lower Klamath Wildlife Refuge this morning, and I couldn't figure out what these guys were. One at first flushed from a low tree and sat on the bank watching me - the blurry picture was the best I could get through the car window, but it shows the profile, tail, etc. It ran to a tree-line farther back, and after staking it out for a bit, I realized there were 3 individuals running along the ground back there. Again, the zoomed in picture was the best I could capture. They seemed to look and act gallinaceous, but I can't tell if I'm on the right track as it doesn't match what I think should be in the area. Sometimes they were giving me more of a dove-vibe, too, but again, they don't match a Mourning or Eurasian-collared, and I don't think of doves scurrying like pheasants in the brush.

Looking forward to advice, and thank you for looking!

Attachments

• galliform2.PNG
    galliform2.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • galliform1.PNG
    galliform1.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
Plausibly pheasants.
I'd say definitely female Ring-necked Pheasant based on white below eye. See e.g.
296748221-480px.jpg

I'd say definitely female Ring-necked Pheasant based on white below eye. See e.g.
296748221-480px.jpg
I don't know how consistent that feature is, but agree these are female "ring-necked" (or whatever if you accept splits) pheasants. A leaf through Sibley suggests no other pale buff, phaesant-shaped phaesant-type things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back