• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (15 Viewers)

MAGNOLIA WARBLER W.I.P. #3

This bird was difficult to work out as it flitted from deep cover into deeper cover. But filming it, and studying grabs of the footage, allowed me to break it down into how it's actually put together.
Luckily a few hours of observation at very close range, with only about 6 people present, at any one time, helped a lot. It was never really bothered by the prescence of people in its chosen shelterbelt.
My intention with this piece is to eventually give a detailed overview as a souvenir to those who saw it, which will probably be a memory of a lifetime!
The footage I took, I edited and made into a little film. Here:

There will be more to follow, as and when, until the artwork is worked up and completed.

ej3qws.jpg

Oh my Phil! A warm welcome back to you lad. I've a soft spot for Pembrokeshire as it was the first place I went to for a holiday as an adult! A beautiful part of the world.

I'm so glad this warbler was the inspiration for you to re-ignite this thread and what a beauty he is too, so much nicer than his behaviour eh? LOL (thought it only happened to me that birds wouldn't sit still when I tried to photograph him!!).

But he sure gave you enough views that allowed you to produce these beautiful pictures - just wonderful work lad. Thanks.

BTW did you know that since moving to this new platform you can upload images you have in, for instance You Tube, to the Gallery now. This one really would be much appreciated.

Welcome home laddie.

Thanks a lot Delia! Filming a bird has been an absolute asset, when sketching is well nigh impossible.
You can break down what you have seen, and turn the bird through its dimensions later.
Upload the YouTube video to the Gallery?
I'll have to work that one out!
Good to be back.

Thanks so much Phil. I've done a link on it so it can be view from the Opus article as well as directly in the Gallery.

Welcome back to happiness Phil! I stopped drawing for a long time. Got into photography and was more worried about iso, capturing that perfect shot and all the madness that goes into it. Then thought, what's the point. Everyone is taking pictures. I'm going back to drawing. God was it frustrating getting back in the swing of it. I wish I had never stopped. Back in the swing of it now. The best thing is I have given up to what I consider good and just draw.. I accept that what might come out may not look like a photograph... That is part of what makes your art better ! I use a ball point pen most of the time speed drawing or field sketches.. No erasing!!!!! leave the mistake and move on. When I realized that I was going to mess up my drawing they seemed to improve. I could go back see my mistake. And improve on it on the next drawing. The drawing you do now is only practice for the next one, and the next one,and the one after that. When I go back and look at my first field sketches... I laugh at it. My palm warbler was a yellow egg with a brown triangle beak.. Draw ,Draw,Draw! Drawing makes me happy and gives me time with my birds .The world disappears when I'm drawing birds it keeps me happy if it does the same for you do it! Share if you want or they can be memories of your own. Do what makes you happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back